MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Keyrite Software > Keyrite 2 Help

Keyrite 2 Help Post Keyrite 2 questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old June 9th, 2005, 03:11 PM

A little "Pop" at the beginning of a track?

Keyrite 2.008

Here is something I have not experienced before, but now seem to be experiencing regularly. At the beginning of the tracks of a Carpenters song which I put Up2 and Up3 there is a little "Pop" (I almost exclusively key change down, being a baritone, so going up is also new for me. (Karen was an extremely low voiced woman so I have to raise the key to match it in my Man's voice range )) I have not experienced this "Pop" before. Is my computer sick or is it because the change is up instead of down. Has anyone else experienced (and fixed) this problem?
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM

I don't know if it is possible, but try to set the key change before you set the song into play or when you are recording it. The popping sound might be the connection to the sound card when the key change button is pressed.
I have this happen with one song I made in KPro. It is definately not your computer.
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM

UPs pop DOWNS don't

Now that I'm home at my computer, I did some testing. All UPs that are selected from a stop, not while the songs are running, seem to pop when the selection is made. And the resultant files pop when played, and the discs made pop. The DOWNs don't do this.

Maybe reinstalling would be a good idea.

jdavia, it sounds like you are suggesting some kind of real-time recording. Perhaps that is an aspect appropriate for Hoster, I don't know. I don't have Hoster. I process files, but not real-time. I guess I don't understand your suggestion. Can you throw it at me again? Thanks
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:14 PM

I know you were using Keyrite to change the key. I haven't used Keyrite even though I have it. I change key in my mixer or in Hoster when in play.
I was thinking about KPro where I made a song that pops at the beginning like yours does.

So yours does it with the disc too, the pop might be on the disc. Re-recording it will do the same. Is it only songs from that disc?
Still don't think it is your computer or the drive.
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM

I tried Keyrite this morning and played a song using the key change. recorded a song using the key change. In both instances using key changes up and down. I even saved it to see if a pop was there in the saved song still using the key change. I heard no pops in any test.

This was from songs on my hard drive only, not from discs on the CD Drive.
Try other discs to see what happens, it might be that disc.
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Reinstalling did not do the trick

I reinstalled but still get a little "click" or "pop" before play preview, and, I will test this again later, suppose that the new file and resultant disc will also include the noise, just as before. This is on raised files. I have windows XP and I imagine that the solution has something to do with hardware accelaration.

I will do further testing when I am home at my own computer. Until then, assume that I have the same problem as before, a nasty little "pop" at the beginning of raised files.

Last edited by jahern; June 16th, 2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:06 PM

Hello, this thing on?

Dabbled with hardware accelaration and it doesn't seem to improve anything. Am I the only one with this problem? Is there noone who has a solution?
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:11 PM

Hi Jahern,

Been watching this with interest. I haven't a clue as to what's happening, but wonder if you'd do something.

Save one of the files with the pop in it. Use a slightly different name so's not to mess up the original.

I believe I remember you having an audio editing program.

Open the track into your audio editing program and see it the pop is visible. One would think it should be.

If so, then you should be able to edit it out, as you well know.

The only reason for this exercise is to give you a "workaround" so you can use tracks in the key you wish until an answer can be found.

At his point I haven't been able to duplicate it, but will keep messing around with it.

Take care,

George
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:16 AM

Used Nero

George, Thanks for your good wishes.

I actually had to use a file with the key changed up at an affair in which I was to sing "Top of the World". I was noticing the little "Pop" but was going to live with it. That morning I decided to take some time and make an MP3-G of the file, convert the mp3 part to wave, use Nero to change the key, change it back to mp3, convert the mp3-g to Bin then back to normal cdg (Whew-I'm out of breath) No "pop" in an original cdg, but obviously a lot of extra work.

So I do have the workaround. Obviously the workaround is less if I am creating the files with KHPRO. I haven't tried wave files on Keyrite recently. But if Keyrite can't do the cdg files, then it's not very useful.

But like I have said already. The downward keychanges don't seem to have this problem.

Last edited by jahern; June 22nd, 2005 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Personalize
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:01 AM

Jahern,

Somehow or another I didn't pick up on the fact you were having the difficulty with CDG files...that should have been obvious, but I missed it, and became focused on WAV

I imported 10 cdg tracks to the hard drive and opened each one into Keyrite.

There is a very distinct pop as a track opens with a upward key change. This happened on all ten tracks. All ten were KHP produced.

I then grabbed a Sound Choice disc at random and imported a track into the hard drive. A definate click when selecting a upwards key change.

You're not alone, old buddy

It sounds to me like the pop happens just as the graphic title page starts to load because the popping is almost instant as one clicks the upward key number and is followed by a few seconds of silence before the audio kicks in.

George

Last edited by George; June 22nd, 2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:44 PM

Thanks

I read the e-mail that your entry generated and did a little experimenting. As I went on-line again I came to find out that you did some more investigating yourself and edited your post. Thanks for your efforts and thanks for setting my mind at ease that my computer isn't malfunctioning. My new results were, of course, similar to yours.

Oh yeah, and the waves worked fine, but not when made into cdg files by KHP, with the already stipulated exceptions
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:35 PM

We've established a problem; now what?

So far, it looks like the problem that I brought up in this thread is "reproducible", so it seems that my own computer is not necessarily very flawed. I'm wondering why noone has chimed in with a solution, or at least pointing me in the direction of another thread where this issue is discussed, and a solution is given. This version of keyrite has been out for a long time and even though I haven't usually used the raise-the-key buttons, someone else has, either with similar results, or with different results-which somehow points at my equipment. I'm all ears about what to do.

Even a "We are aware of the problem, and there will be corrections in the next version" from MTU would be nice.

PS. Once again, thanks everybody for the input already received.