MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old November 11th, 2004, 08:55 PM

Exclamation Karaoke do's & don'ts

I'm looking for a text file to insert into my Excel file singers books that shows the common Do's and Don'ts of Karaoke.
Old November 12th, 2004, 03:15 AM

Re: Karaoke do's & don'ts

A little more descriptiveness might be helpful ...

Is this KJ does and don'ts, singer does and don'ts ....

What kinda yes and no's are we looking for?
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Post Re: Karaoke do's & don'ts

Do a search on the internet for karaoke do's and don'ts. This is what I did. I found several posted on web sights. Just highlight and copy, then paste into excel, word or whatever.
Hope this helps,
Wally
Old December 21st, 2004, 03:06 AM

These are the Do's and Don't I have in my books!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urnchemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

1) To other singers ….they get up to entertain you, and sing their hearts out. Please applaud for them when they are done!! And PLEASE do NOT BOO or be negative! PLEASE be courteous<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

2) DO NOT YELL, blow or “tap” on the microphones! Just turn it on and say “hello!” They are delicate instruments! Also please DO NOT SWING THE MIC BY THE CORD.. (UNLESS YOU ARE ROGER DALTREY FROM THE WHO. Then YOU can pay for it when it is broken!)<o:p></o:p>

3) Please DO NOT put songs in for other people without their approval; it slows the show down, and may embarrass someone!<o:p></o:p>

4) Please be patient while waiting for your turn to sing. We have a “rotation” system, and we do put 1<SUP>st</SUP> time singers in before someone who has already sung, it is only fair!<o:p></o:p>

5) Once a song is submitted, please do NOT ask to change it, as the host/hostess has them programmed into the system, and it will slow the show down. Also do not keep approaching the host and ask “how long before I am up”? Even though it looks like a good time, the host is working hard, and will not forget you.<o:p></o:p>

6) SING ONE BRING ONE!!! When the host calls you to sing, bring your next selection with you. This will keep your spot in the rotation, and the host will NOT get flooded with song slips. They can’t baby sit 10 song requests for you, and keep everyone in the rotation. Imagine if 15 singers filled out 10 slips apiece, and gave them to the host to keep track of!!<o:p></o:p>

7) Please do not get up and sing with someone or take a mic from us unless he or she or we ask you to!<o:p></o:p>

8) NO ONE OTHER THAN SOUND OF THE TIMES DJ’S<o:p></o:p>

Are allowed behind the “booth”, or to handle ANY equipment or discs. <o:p></o:p>

LET”S ALL HAVE A GREAT TIME AND SING!!!!!<o:p></o:p>

Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:20 PM

Thanks G-force. I Like your style!!
Old January 9th, 2005, 01:49 PM

This is what I have in My Books, Just copy & paste.

Bruce Jr’s Karaoke

Karaoke Rotations
During karaoke shows, the rotation, or the order in which people get to sing, are one of the biggest sources of frustration and confusion for both singers and hosts. This is partly due to the simple fact that there seems to be as many ways to run a rotation, as there are karaoke shows. I like to put all rotations into two classes: ‘Fair’ and ‘Not So Fair’.

The ‘Not So Fair’ rotation is one where the host has a more arbitrary system, in which personal favorites or audience requests override the natural order. This can be frustrating for singers who must wait a long time between performances. This type is what generates the most complaints. And this is one I do not use.

The ‘Fair’ rotations are harder to determine for the casual enthusiast. I only run this type. I use the Whiteboard to show You my Rotation order, I start with The First slip and start the rotation, as more slips are added during the show, There name goes on the end of the rotation, I will stay in order, Unless You opt to miss your turn in rotation, Than You will have to wait until your turn comes around again. If You come to the show in the last hour, You may not get to sing, I stop taking slips when I know I have enough to go to the end of the night, I will write on the board in Red writing that “I have enough slips in to make it to the end”, I am sorry if this happens, But remember I had patrons who have been at the show all night and are waiting their turn, I think this is only fair to them for being at the show from the beginning.

Unless the rotation becomes completely intolerable, complaints to the host or to management should be kept to a minimum. Relationships between host and singer can be delicate, and complaints may not be dealt with as well as you had hoped. Be polite when questioning rotations and schedules. Singers establishing a good working relationship with the host and vice versa means the problems should be minimal. Singers should always remember though that this may be their entertainment, but it is the host’s livelihood. It is the host’s arena and patience is always a virtue.

Karaoke Etiquette

Often, we find people who seem to have no idea what is right or wrong in a karaoke show. While these unspoken rules are not written in stone, they make for good guidelines and will help enhance your karaoke experience.

Applause: Always applaud when a singer finishes their performance. This is especially important if this is the singer's first time singing karaoke in public. There are two reasons to show your love. The first is if the singer did a great job. The second is the singer did a lousy job and the song is over.

Attitude: Smile and have fun! We may not admit it but we all dream of being on stage at some point in our lives. Now you have the chance to fulfill that dream.

Equipment: Please respect the equipment. Please do not swing, bang or tap the microphones for any reason. When the microphone is supposed to be on, your host will turn it on. Don’t tamper with the equipment or request slips.

Participation: All patrons are encouraged to give it a try regardless of how good or bad you may think your singing is. Feel free to sing along from your seats as the words appear across the monitors, but don’t try to overpower the singer. Dancing to the music is not only welcomed, it is complimentary to the singer.

Patience: Please be patient as you wait your turn to sing. Please do not whine or count the number of times others sing. In other words, please don’t become a "List Watcher". Normally, every attempt is made to allow all participants to sing as many times as possible.

Language: Some songs include blue language. If the host allows its play, then feel free to sing the lyrics. Otherwise, please refrain from using foul language or telling jokes over the microphone. Although permissible in some venues, it is usually unacceptable.

Unruly Behavior: Don’t heckle or interfere with any performer. Please don’t try to join any performance unless you were asked to do so before the song started. Don't forget your turn is coming. If you don’t promptly acknowledge your turn, you may be skipped, as there are others waiting their turn.

Song Selection: Unless you wrote it, you do not own it. Please do not be upset if another person sings your song. There are many to choose in the songbook. Certain performers may have 'signature tunes'. Sometimes others will select one of these songs, which might bother the regular performer. If you are the regular, the most polite thing to do is have another song or two ready to replace the first one. Any other reaction will not endear you to the audience. You can always do the song another time. It also is never a good idea to deliberately perform someone else's song just for spite.
Above all else, karaoke is meant to be fun and not serious. Treat it as such and you’ll have a good time.

Microphone Usage Basics For Singers

One of the most fundamental parts of karaoke is the microphone. How it is used can dramatically change your karaoke experience. Simply by making slight adjustments, you can either improve or ruin your performance. Often what keeps a singer from making adjustments is either shyness or just not knowing any better. While I can’t overcome your shyness, we can give you the information you need to better your microphone usage.

A good host will adjust the microphone level based on each singer. The adjustment is made so the singer is not overpowered by the music or vice versa. Singing with a strong voice with a strong and fairly constant volume is the best way to make sure you sound your best. Don’t try to adjust your volume because you feel the level is off. Usually the worst judge of level is the singer. My hardest job is adjusting levels for my own performance. Don’t scream into the microphone, but don’t be afraid of it, either.

With virtually all brands and types of microphones you’ll find in karaoke, the actual element is at the top and not on the side of the head. All microphones tend to give priority to the loudest sound over the lower sounds. Knowing this, you’ll find that if you sing directly into the top of the microphone and holding it close to your mouth will pay big dividends in your performance. You don’t have to kiss it, simply hold it within an inch or so. It increases the chance that the primary and strongest sound will be your voice and not the surrounding noise. It also decreases the chance of feedback. Often feedback happens because the host is trying to compensate for a soft singer or one who is not using the microphone correctly. It may also be that you took a wireless microphone too close to a speaker. If people start throwing objects at your host or you, you may have caused feedback.

Take care of the equipment. Don’t abuse it by swinging a microphone by its cord or antenna. Hold it firmly, as they’re not known to magically stay in your hand when you open your fingers. Don’t tap on or bump it. This not only can cause damage, it also creates annoying sounds that everyone must listen to. Don’t change the switch settings of the microphone. I have watched singers fiddle with their microphone and then complain that it isn’t on. They’ve inadvertently turned it off themselves.

As for your shyness, get over it. While you’re singing, make the assumption that everyone is there to hear you sing. If you sing well, you’ll get a lot of compliments. If you sing poorly, no one will remember you in the morning. Take that microphone, sing into the top of it with confidence and have fun. It may only be karaoke, but it is your four minutes of fame.

Happy Singing,
Sincerely,
Bruce Jr’s Karaoke