MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old November 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM

hoster

With hoster 3.120 how do you use kma files from a different drive, external hard drive
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:22 PM

1. Open Hoster
2. Click On Tools
3. Click On Build Songs Database
4. Click on Select Folder
5. Search for the folder where your kma files are located( Your External Drive )
6. Select that folder
7. Click on Build Songs Database

This should build a new songs database using the files in the folder you selected on your external hard drive.

gpayne
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:30 PM

hoster

Thanks for the info. This won't bring thesongs into my internal hard drive will it
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:58 PM
VIP

No, it won't, but you will need to make sure that that hard drive is lettered the same as it was when you first
"databased" it.

Or you might be at a show some day and panic
"where did all my songs go!"
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:32 AM
Administrator

The order you plug in USB devices determines what LETTER Windows assigns to them. With Windows running, iIf you unplug your ext. hard drive, then plug it back in, it will have a new letter assigned, and Hoster's Songs Database will NOT find the files it has indexed. Don't plug-unplug your USB external drive.
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The order you plug in USB devices determines what LETTER Windows assigns to them. With Windows running, iIf you unplug your ext. hard drive, then plug it back in, it will have a new letter assigned, and Hoster's Songs Database will NOT find the files it has indexed. Don't plug-unplug your USB external drive.
That is only true if you plug them in after windows has completed it's start up. If they are already plugged in before run up completes....its a crap shoot. Microsoft....gotta love em!
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
That is only true if you plug them in after windows has completed it's start up. If they are already plugged in before run up completes....its a crap shoot. Microsoft....gotta love em!
Doesn't this mean that there is a great likelyhood that if you use an external drive that you would have to rebuild your songs database every time you do a show? I don't use an external hard drive so I haven't experienced that yet but I know I would not like it.

gpayne
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM

hoster

Thanks everyone. I'm using a laptop, hard drive is full and have got kma songs on the external hard drive and I didn't want to mess up my program on the enternl hard dive. If I do this The songbook will list all the somgs, right? and the program will bring the external drive up when selected?
Thanks Rich
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpayne View Post
Doesn't this mean that there is a great likelyhood that if you use an external drive that you would have to rebuild your songs database every time you do a show? I don't use an external hard drive so I haven't experienced that yet but I know I would not like it.

gpayne
No just change the drive letter back to what it was when you set up Hoster and all will be well.
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklitz View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm using a laptop, hard drive is full and have got kma songs on the external hard drive and I didn't want to mess up my program on the enternl hard dive. If I do this The songbook will list all the somgs, right? and the program will bring the external drive up when selected?
Thanks Rich
If you have songs on both internal and external drive then you will need to list both locations when you build the database. Then yes it will list all of the songs and the program will play the songs from the location listed. If they don't show up then check the drive letter for the external and change if needed.
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM

Post Fyi

Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives.

This means that you permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM drive.

When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will not affect statically assigned drive letters.

e.g. I assigned my USB drive the letter K: (secret code for Karaoke) he, he

Everytime I plug it in it is automatically K drive

Hope this helps.

Wally
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:33 AM
VIP

I have two ext. HD, one always seems to be on F while the other always on E. Only if I plug them in after Windows starts. Hoster looks in my F. I always check on my computer to see that the drive is on F before I start however; just to be sure. Also, both my HD's are labelled as F and E, but I still double-check beforehand.
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I have had externals change drive letter on me from one set up to the next, so it isn't always so Wallymeister. Your internal drives won't change once they are set but the externals can, especially if you open a windows session without it and shutdown or restart. Then the next time you turn it on in a session it is fair game for Windows to choose the letter.
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM

hoster

After you do the song database how do you get hoster to recognize the drive, or how do you add the drive letter to hoster?
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Building the song database is where you identify the drive for hoster. There isn't anything else to do.
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM

ddouglass,
My External drive without fail is always recognized as K, so I don't understand what you are saying. The previous post was copy and pasted from windows help. You have to tell it to always assign this drive letter to this volume, otherwise they will possibly change depending on what else you have hooked up etc. I am using XP pro so maybe it's only available in pro.

You have to do this in disc management section of control panel.
Wally
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Contrary to what MS says, if you remove that drive from the system for a while (take it to another system for instance), shutdown or restart that system and bring the drive back later it will change the drive letter, because disk management will forget.
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:11 PM

I've done everything you just described here and I've never experienced a problem. It still reads it as K drive when I bring it back to my original computer. My external HD for kma's & also flash drives too.

Just lucky I guess.
Wally
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:02 PM

Wally, take that drive and put it into another computer and put a different one on this one. Then put the original one back into your computer while the new one is running and you may have any combination of drive letters.

I run multiple usb drives on several computers, and never know for sure if they will be the same each time. I also use XP Pro. If I simply unplug one and put it back into the same computer without putting a different one in during that time, it will remember the drive letter. However, if I use another one while that one is not being used by my first computer, it is a crap shoot when I plug it back in.
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:26 PM

hoster

I've done the database but still can't bring the drive up in hoster I must be doing something wrong, I went through the steps three or four times but it still won't bring it up thanks rich