MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 29th, 2005, 04:17 PM

vocal pro media juke box?

want to get w/ the not carrying cd thing but heard from (singers) that givin a choice , they'd perfer cd+g in aplayer because the sound varys so much ,personally i have not sang on computer system. so im asking, what is the best way to go high tech at a kj price , please in laymen terms.
thanks
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:48 PM

Player Opinion

Kevin
I used a JVC 303BK 3 drawer system for a lot of years. Since March of this Year I have been using a Sony laptop with the hoster program and I would never go back to using just disks again. The ease of running a show is simply unbelievable. My singers can't tell a difference and Love the Singers name display so if they need to use the bathroom or order another drink they can before they sing. As far as sound, the songs sound the same. If there is is a difference it is unnoticeable to all but the very decerning audiophile (Those are the ones who will bitch about any discrebencys, Karaoke music is not like the original soundtracks sometimes) Anyway the point is that if you really want to go high tech and sound good get a good Laptop or desktop your preference with a decent sound card and video card and Hoster and start having fun at your shows How much you spend is entirely your choice.
Check with MTU and see what the minimum you need is and go from there.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:01 PM

thanks john
maybe its agood sound card that makes the different
thanks again what about external hard drives.

thanks
Old November 5th, 2005, 04:06 PM

External Hardrives

Kevin:
As of right now I am not using a external HD my Sony came with a whopping 100 gig HD and I have over 5000 songs on it and not even close to full. Hoster will compress the CD+G's into a KMA file which is a lot tighter and sounds great with little or no loss in audio quality. If I was to get a External HD I would probably buy as large a one as could afford, some companys like Western Digital, Maxtor, and Seagate offer up to 300 gigabytes thats a lot of storage capacity. With Firewire or USB 2.0 They are plenty fast.
If you go the computer route you will definately want a video card that offers dual displays (The abillity to run more than one display screen) Then it is just a matter of setting Hoster up and dragging the singer display screen and singers screen onto the second monitor. Thats when the fun begins you can search out the next singers songs and put them on the singer/song list while the singers are singing letting you get ahead take breaks etc. Hoster even has a delay feature where you set a pause time between songs I have mine set for 10 seconds and I can go use the bathroom or talk to freinds etc. The singers see who is up next and come up and song starts automatically. That is really cool . I used to work myself to death during big shows with lots of singers in the rotation. It is so much better now.
John
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:41 PM

thanks
again john
Old November 12th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7007
thanks john
maybe its agood sound card that makes the different
thanks again what about external hard drives.

thanks
Even with a big internal hard drive it is advisable to use more than one drive, if only for backup. As yyou grow your song selection it will help you out. Suggestion, If you do go external go western digital.
Old November 13th, 2005, 02:27 AM

thanks danny ,what is that, please excuse my ignorance. this is new ground to us ( my wife and i)
Old November 13th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Frequent Member

Western Digital is a brand of hard drive. They seem to have the best warrenty from what I have been hearing.
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:04 AM

If you opt for an inboard hard drive, Seagate gives a five year warranty on them, but only a one year on the USB's.

George