MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM

do not judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
A bar in the first place is not usually attended by those of the "Highest" morals. The average moral level of a bar may be a bit less than the average moral level of a Sunday school, so to speak.
Bryant,
Because people are in a bar, I would not accuse them of having less morals than anybody else. We must remember that everyone is a potential customer for a private party, and we should treat everyone the same. Maybe I'm just fortunate enough that I don't have to cower down to a bar owner, because I do well enough with private parties that I can tell the owner to go scratch if I don't like the way he does things. If you treated people the same way, you may soon find yourself in the same position.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM

Hey mayottjr,
Good one!
Obviously the guy was trying to impress his girl friend, but the saying about money and sense comes to mind.
Regards from across the pond.
Garry
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

And I hope you included your name on that list to a least get a free drink too!!
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Frequent Member

we have been offered money many times we will not bump anybody up in our rotation. my wifes brother will not sing with us because we will not bump him up. when you tell them sorry we run a fair rotation. most of them understand and like knowing that you are honest and will not be bought.
there was a husband and wife team around a few years ago that bumped their friends up all the time. (they are no longer around) i know of two jobs they lost because of this practice. and cust complaining to the bar owners.
just some food for thought. Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part On! View Post
Bryant,
Because people are in a bar, I would not accuse them of having less morals than anybody else. We must remember that everyone is a potential customer for a private party, and we should treat everyone the same. Maybe I'm just fortunate enough that I don't have to cower down to a bar owner, because I do well enough with private parties that I can tell the owner to go scratch if I don't like the way he does things. If you treated people the same way, you may soon find yourself in the same position.
Hey cmon, I didn't say anything about how I treat people. In fact, I do quite well at private functions, it's just that I have had so much "Bar" work in town using their equipment and driving less than one mile to the three bars I work in (max of 3 1/2 hours to boot), that I get to see a lot in bars too.
In fact, I attended bars a while when I was a single person, and I still believe that the "Average" (I said average , not everyone or even most) moral may be a bit less, and that again may only exist in the "sleezy" bars that we get to play in once in a while, too.

That was a comparison to me. I consider myself and "average" moral-like person. After conversing with many in many bars; I did easily notice a few more than
half seemed to have a lot less morals than I did, and they bragged about it. Now what does that tell you.
Old December 4th, 2006, 04:02 PM

I noticed there was quite some discussion regarding that the bar owner is boss. I have to disagree with that to an extent. Besides me not taking "bribes" to bump, I also have an understanding with the bar owner. Because MY reputation is on the line as a KJ Host, I don't tell him how to run the bar and he dosen't tell me how to run the karaoke.I can't have it any other way.

So far that has worked well for both of us and I think my present "boss" will attest to that also. That also goes a long way in keeping my show fair and balanced.

Kelly
Old December 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedmison View Post
I noticed there was quite some discussion regarding that the bar owner is boss. I have to disagree with that to an extent. Besides me not taking "bribes" to bump, I also have an understanding with the bar owner. Because MY reputation is on the line as a KJ Host, I don't tell him how to run the bar and he dosen't tell me how to run the karaoke.I can't have it any other way.

So far that has worked well for both of us and I think my present "boss" will attest to that also. That also goes a long way in keeping my show fair and balanced.

Kelly
Yes, all because HE is the boss. As soon as he decides to
ask you something (not necessarily how to run your show) that you refuse to do, and if he thinks it is substantial reason to let you go, he simply will, well ahead of you giving your notice.