MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old July 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM

CDs Won't Write

I just recently upgraded to the new external CDR-DVD burner and the new Karaoke Suite 4 - Microstudio 4.001 software. All seemed well until I tried to burn the songs to a CD. I've been using the recommended Sony CD-R CDs but it's not working. I lowered the speed to 4x and tested the CD -- worked fine. But when I tried to actually write the files I get a "Write aborted by the user." I've looked on the website and found "near" solutions to the problem, but haven't seen this particular one. My computer has the Windows XP.

Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonpusher View Post
I just recently upgraded to the new external CDR-DVD burner and the new Karaoke Suite 4 - Microstudio 4.001 software. All seemed well until I tried to burn the songs to a CD. I've been using the recommended Sony CD-R CDs but it's not working. I lowered the speed to 4x and tested the CD -- worked fine. But when I tried to actually write the files I get a "Write aborted by the user." I've looked on the website and found "near" solutions to the problem, but haven't seen this particular one. My computer has the Windows XP.

Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Did you try more than one disc?

Do you have any other media than Sony you can test?

Try writing a Write Disc List with fewer songs, or maybe even all the same song for multiple tracks. I've never heard of this problem before and am asking questions to guide all of us with as much diagnostic data as I can think of.

I've forwarded this to MTUSUPPORT to answer tomorrow. He deals with problems daily and is our resident expert.
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Talking Still Errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Did you try more than one disc?

Do you have any other media than Sony you can test?

Try writing a Write Disc List with fewer songs, or maybe even all the same song for multiple tracks. I've never heard of this problem before and am asking questions to guide all of us with as much diagnostic data as I can think of.

I've forwarded this to MTUSUPPORT to answer tomorrow. He deals with problems daily and is our resident expert.
I've gone through at least 8 Sony CDRs and then tried 2 "Imation" CDRs. Each time I was trying to burn down only 4 songs. I even tried to load down some 'older' songs that I KNOW have been written successfully to a CD (my prior version of this software and prior burner - PLEXOR). But still the same problem. I even made sure my AutoRun was turned off and updated my Windows XP. Still no luck. Needless to say my sunny wonderful personality is getting a bit tested. I truly appreciate any guidance/advise. I think I've pretty well exhausted the troubleshooting as far as hardware.
Is there possibly something different in the new software program that I'm missing? It looked pretty similar to the older version - except I noticed the files only come in as .bins. Anything there that you know of that I may need to explore?
Appreciate it !
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I even made sure my AutoRun was turned off and updated my Windows XP. Still no luck.
When you updated from Microsoft did you do a Custom update or Express update? Express will not work as it does not get all of the updates. Also, have you tried updating the drive firmware as well?

Quote:
I lowered the speed to 4x (from first post)
This is not required anymore and in fact the drives to day are optimized to run at the higher speeds and don't perform well at the lower ones.

Quote:
Is there possibly something different in the new software program that I'm missing? It looked pretty similar to the older version - except I noticed the files only come in as .bins.
Have you used the drive with another burn program such as Roxio to make sure the drive is good?
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
When you updated from Microsoft did you do a Custom update or Express update? Express will not work as it does not get all of the updates. Also, have you tried updating the drive firmware as well?

When I did the update I did do the "Custom" as was suggested in previous emails. I did not update the drive firmware ... where would I find that?

This is not required anymore and in fact the drives to day are optimized to run at the higher speeds and don't perform well at the lower ones.

I had the drive set at MAX and then progressively took in down to 4x since things weren't working right.

Have you used the drive with another burn program such as Roxio to make sure the drive is good?
No - pardon my ignorance, but what is Roxio? - it sounds familiar but not sure. I have a friend that is having problems with his drive as well (same software and drive - his computer won't read the drive). We're going to trade drives and see how it all works and whether we still get the same problems or not.

I'm still open to any further suggestions cuz' so far nothing has corrected the problem.
Thanks!
Old July 29th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks George. I spend my weekends building a deck and other projects around our "new" house. Trying to get moved completely out of San Antonio by 1st of September.

I hadn't thought of the burner program problem, but the easy fix for that if my memory serves me is to remove any reference/shortcuts for them from the Startup in the Programs List. That will keep them from starting and locking drive access to those programs only.
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
I hadn't thought of the burner program problem, but the easy fix for that if my memory serves me is to remove any reference/shortcuts for them from the Startup in the Programs List. That will keep them from starting and locking drive access to those programs only.
Your memory is right on...good luck with the move.

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Tested Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Looks like Dale may be out of pocket, so to keep from holding you up I'll answer your question regarding ROXIO.

They are more generally known by the name of their product...EASY CD CREATOR, a burner program.

EASY CD CREATOR 5 has been know to cause problems created by a program in it called TAKE 2, which was removed in their version 6.

Do you have it or any other burner software installed that could possibly causing a conflict? The three most common probably are EASY CD CREATOR, NERO, and PLEXTOR'S own PLEXTOOLS.
OK -- I'm familiar with EASY CD CREATOR.

My friend (who is also having problems with his new drive) and I got together and tried several different things:
1. Put my drive on his computer -- it behaved exactly as it does on my computer. Goes through the entire process until time to write the CD and it aborts.
-- We got his computer to finally read his new drive and then it behaved exactly like mine.
2. He had my old PLEXTOR CDG drive and told me that he had updated the firmware on it. We connected it to his computer (with the upgraded software) and it worked fine. Put it on my computer and it also works fine with my new software as well.

So at this time I have the old drive on my computer and it works fine. My friend plans to return his drive - he's still within the return timeframe, but we still can't figure out why my new one won't work right. (Unfortunately my return time has expired).

We tried everything that was recommended to do with no success. My friend tried to find 'firmware' upgrade for the new drive but couldn't find any.
We're still open for other ideas/suggestions!
Thanks so much!
Old July 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Did you turn off EASY CD CREATOR so it couldn't take command of the burner upon start up?

To do that, click START, RUN, then type MSCONFIG, then click the tab marked STARTUP.

Scroll down until you get to a startup item identified as DIRECT CD(that's what mine says) or anything else that may identify EASY CD CREATOR, ROXIO, ETC, and uncheck the block next to it.

Click OK and restart the pc.

That does not disable the burner, but prevents the burner software running automatically, which in some cases causes problems as DDOUGLAS described above. The burner will still act normally for all burning functions.

Regarding firmware, what brand and model burner is it?

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

I split this to its own Thread as it didn't belong under someone else's Thread.

I've asked MTUSUPPORT to take a look at what you are reporting. We may have a problem we don't know about, and need to engineer a fix.

He should answer tomorrow sometime.
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:36 AM

MTU Certified Drive Not working?

ButtonPusher, which drive did MTU send you?? I am having a similar problem with the one I received this week. Thanks