MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM

internet connection

Hi, I am looking at a laptop to buy but it does not appear to connect to the internet..it has the ethernet connect and USB ports, but when I connect my cable modem to either port--I cant even get Internet Explorer.. I am wondering if I have to have that internet connection to use Hoster on it. Or maybe I should just look at a new one.

Doug
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Doug,
You only need the network connection to register when you install Hoster, unless you want to use a memory stick but you will need to be able to update your Windows also.
Right click on "My Network Places" and go to properties. Do you have a Local Area Connection? If not you will need to set one up with the network connection wizard. After you do that you will need to right click on Internet Explorer icon and go to properties. Click on the "Connections" tab. Make sure you are setup to use a network connection, not a dialup connection, and remove any dialup connections listed.
Restart your computer. This should get you a new IP address from your ISP.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:49 PM

connections

I currently use my desktop with a cable modem and it has an ISP address... If I want to use a laptop with the same modem---will the laptop have the same ISP address or does it give each computer a seperate address?

Doug
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure you hook up the laptop to the cable modem before you turn it on. That way it should pick up an address. It may be the same but probably won't be since it is a different network card.

If you want to be able to have both on the internet at the same time you will need a router. Plug the cable modem into the router and the router (will have multiple connections on back) to the two computers. This way you don't mess with the desktop and can plug in the laptop whenever you need to for updating.
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM

internet connection

Hi,

I called My ISP and they told me to turn on my cable modem when connected to the computer of choice . Then unplug the modem and plug it back in... It works... strange...but whatever.... :-)

Doug
Old April 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

That resets your IP address for the new computer. When you switch back to your desktop you will have to do the same thing again.
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:12 PM

that is correct....also...

Yes that is correct.. I have to do the same thing every time I switch computers... Maybe I should get a router.. By the way, Now that my new laptop can connect to the internet for registration confirmation...I dont know how to get Hoster on it.. I tried copying Hoster onto a Flash Drive and moving it on to my desktop but it says I should try reinstalling it.. My download time has expired....what is the best way to get Hoster on my 2nd Laptop?
Doug
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Digits View Post
Yes that is correct.. I have to do the same thing every time I switch computers... Maybe I should get a router.. By the way, Now that my new laptop can connect to the internet for registration confirmation...I dont know how to get Hoster on it.. I tried copying Hoster onto a Flash Drive and moving it on to my desktop but it says I should try reinstalling it.. My download time has expired....what is the best way to get Hoster on my 2nd Laptop?
Doug
As has always been said in these forums and on MTU's website. Download by using SAVE button and never use the RUN button for your downloads. Now that I have said that I don't know if you can get a copy of it now. What version is it? If it is the latest submit a support ticket and see if MTU will help you.

FYI - 99.9% of programs will require installing rather than copying from another computer, because they add items to the registry and add additional system information that you won't find when you just copy the files.
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:51 AM

Hoster Transfer

I don't remember if I "saved" or "ran" the files for Hoster..but (like I stated), I tried copying to a flash drive to install on the laptop.
I have no idea what a support ticket is or how to find it or submit one.
Originally , I saved Hoster onto my desktop's main hard drive... then I decided that I wanted it on my other hard drive... when I went to move it to the other hard drive...a message came up that I would lose some files in the process.. it said this with Hoster, vogone, etc. and they did not work once they were on the other hard drive...so I had to reinstall to the main hard drive again. Sorry I'm not much of a whiz on this stuff but I do try to read the instructions... I don't remember seeing anything on save/run.
Doug
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I currently use my desktop with a cable modem and it has an ISP address... If I want to use a laptop with the same modem---will the laptop have the same ISP address or does it give each computer a seperate address?

Doug
if the laptop has a wireless all you need is a modem from your isp connected to your main computer..i have 3 laptops and i dont have to keep switching..if you dont have a wireless built in the laptop you can buy a wireless card for about $80.00
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
if the laptop has a wireless all you need is a modem from your isp connected to your main computer..i have 3 laptops and i dont have to keep switching..if you dont have a wireless built in the laptop you can buy a wireless card for about $80.00
Billyo you still have to have a wireless router to do that. Anything over one computer tied to a cable modem requires a router, be it wired or wireless.
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't remember if I "saved" or "ran" the files for Hoster..but (like I stated), I tried copying to a flash drive to install on the laptop.
I have no idea what a support ticket is or how to find it or submit one.
Originally , I saved Hoster onto my desktop's main hard drive... then I decided that I wanted it on my other hard drive... when I went to move it to the other hard drive...a message came up that I would lose some files in the process.. it said this with Hoster, vogone, etc. and they did not work once they were on the other hard drive...so I had to reinstall to the main hard drive again. Sorry I'm not much of a whiz on this stuff but I do try to read the instructions... I don't remember seeing anything on save/run.
Doug
Go to the MTU website http://www.mtu.com look in the left column for Support Center and click on it. First you need to register again (different security database so your other registrations won't work), but the good news is you can use the same name and password. After you register and login, click on submit ticket. Your there.
Once you install a program in Windows you can't move the program files or Windows doesn't know where to find them. You cna change the location where you install the program, but you have to do that during the installation. However I find it best to keep my programs all on C: drive (main drive) and keep any data files (like the KMA files for Hoster) on another drive. This would be especially true if you have large numbers of songs.
The Save and Run I was referring to you see when you go to the link to download the program from MTU. The small window that pops up has 3 option buttons which are Run, Save and Cancel. You should always (and this isn't just for MTU programs) Save the file to a temporary location and then run (double click on it) from that folder. That way if something happens you can always go back to that file and re-install.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Billyo you still have to have a wireless router to do that. Anything over one computer tied to a cable modem requires a router, be it wired or wireless.
yup i know..i kinda forgot about the router i have it connected to my main pc too..