MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 24th, 2003, 10:38 PM

Question Why is MTU So Dedicated to Find the Perfect Fool-proof Security Scheme?

Perhaps this partial list of products, with their suggested retail price, will explain it somewhat

From Adobe:
Framemaker Server: $7,999.00 -- Framemaker:$799.00
Photoshop CS: $649.00 -- Illustrator:$499.00
InDesign:$699.00 -- GoLive:$399.00
PageMaker:$499.00 -- Live Motion:$399.00
Premiere Pro: $699.00 -- After Effects:$699.00
Acrobat Professional: $499.00

Total: $13,839.00

From Macromedia:
Dreamweaver: $399.00 -- Flash: $499.00
Flash Professional: $699.99 -- FireWorks $299.00
Cold Fusion Enterprise: $5,999.00
Flash Communication Server: $499.99
Director: $1,199.00
Authorware: $2,999.00
eLearning Suite : $3,499.00 - - Free Hand: $399.00

Total $16,490.00

From MicroSoft:
Windows XP: $285.00 -- Back Office Server: $1,615.00
Commerce Server: $3,550.00 - SQL Server: $2,897.00
Project: $397.00 -- Exchange Server: $2,887.00
MS Office: $450.00 -- Visual Studio Net: $1,299

Total: $13,380.00

Nice piece of change! Yet, you can get fully functional version of any or all these programs and thousands others for free!

A random check of some crack sites (not including mIRC which is the worse) shows all those programs available for FREE!!!

At any given time, day or night the average users online at these sites was somewhere between 2 and 3.5 million individuals, sharing over 15 million files!!

Yes, copies of MicroStudio are also there. Two copies of 2.303. One of these copies is 1,084 KB in length and the other one must be a Trojan or another type of virus because it’s only 371 KB.

If MTU’s security is cracked to the degree of these other programs, I doubt very seriously they could stay in business for long. Perhaps Adobe, Macromedia AND Microsoft can absorb this kind of loss, and perhaps they cannot and that could explain their products prices...

How would you like to have to pay $400 plus dollars for MicroStudio and perhaps over $1,000 for Hoster?

I take my hat off to the folks at MTU for developing a security scheme that’s easy to use and yet as fool-proof as it possible could be. Perhaps some of you remember a piece of software called Dbase which was published by Ashton Tate a software publishing house giant in the old days.

They used a security feature so difficult that it brought the company down. You could not run their program UNLESS you had a coded FLOPPY DISK on the A drive. Ever had a floppy disk that you couldn’t read anymore? Exactly, and replacing it was almost next to impossible, in most cases you had to wait a couple of months. And that was way before the Internet and Peer to Peer networks

Get the picture?

Believe me, there are professional crackers out there working everyday. The more difficult the security is to crack, the more challenging it’s for them, the more they work at trying to break it…and eventually most of them do.

Don’t keep you hopes up if you think MTU has a fool-proof system. One of these days it could be cracked. Software development presents a constant challenge; it’s us vs. them.

To stay in the software development business, a company needs to keep developing security schemes. I am sure MTU’s R&D will always be looking for ways to make their software easy to use AND yet strongly secure. To stay in business, and make a profit, any company will always have to maintain a couple steps ahead of the crooks.

We, as honest consumers, must allow MTU to do whatever they must do, so we can continue to enjoy such wonderful products at extremely great prices. We must understand that someone will always complain. You can’t please everybody.

Our dedicated beta testing team must always be ready to work for as long as it takes to make sure this or any other security feature is properly tested for stability, performance and ease of use because, at the end, we will all be winners!

Do I have any of the above programs? Yes, I have 8 of them (not counting MTU’s karaoke suite) and as a programmer. I bought each single one of them!

Regards,

Jon

Last edited by jaddams; November 24th, 2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:58 PM

Thumbs up Wow

That's what I call making it CLEAR!

By the way, Jon doesn't work for MTU but he's a happy customer who whishes to enjoy MTU's product because of the pleasure it brings to our live!!

regards