MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 11th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Can\'t Detect Monitor When Using HDMI Port

Greetings,

It\'s me again!

I have a new laptop and having problems switching my monitor usage from old laptop S-video configuration to new laptop HDMI cable usage. I am unable to display my laptop image as I am failing to detect a dual monitor (Windows Control Panel function) when using either of my two newly purchased HDMI Male to 3 RCA Video Audio cables.

I am able to successfully detect an external VGA monitor when I have a VGA Monitor Cable connected to my laptop, however, when using the HDMI port, (with my external monitor setting switched from AV to HDMI) nothing is detected.

I am planning to eventually use a “switcher” to connect two monitors at once (to support for MTU Hoster software needs), meantime, I am just trying to get one HDMI cable to work when it is directly connected to one of my monitors—No Luck! (See attachments for further details.)

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Best,
Gwen
(AKA The Karaoke Queen)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDMI Issue.JPG (1.59 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg HDMI Issue2.JPG (975.5 KB, 5 views)
Old April 11th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Cant Detect Monitor When Using HDMI Port

When you say
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenButler View Post
when using the HDMI port, (with my external monitor setting switched from AV to HDMI) nothing is detected.
Are you saying you have the source select of the Monitor set to HDMI ?
Only if you are connecting to it with 3 RCA inputs then it is not an HDMI connection but having said that it I would think you have tried it with the monitor source set to AV and still had no luck.

I dont think those type of conversion cables are very successful anyway.
Is there an actual HDMI input on that monitor ?
If so do you not have a spare HDMI lead to try connecting direct as HDMI ?
If there is not an HDMI input connector on the monitor and you want to connect via RCA composit video input you really need a convertor box, there are various types available. I have used this type myself without any problem: https://www.amazon.com/Converter-LES...omposite+video

You will need a short HDMI lead as well as the item does not ship with that included.

If you get one of these make sure its HDMI to AV and not the other way round or it wont work.
Heres a link to one of my own videos showing the setup. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=zmjWM9BnCz0

I personally connect to 2 external HDMI monitors via a powered HDMI 1 in 4 out splitter box.
If you want a link to that let me know.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old April 14th, 2017, 09:36 AM

Re: Can\\\\\\\'t Detect Monitor When Using HDMI Port

Roy,
Your thorough analysis of my situation--helpful video, etc., is much appreciated.

I am happy to say that all of my monitor issues have been resolved. I am finally using your suggested HDMI to AV Converter and I am good to go!

You are the Best-est!

Thanks a Ton,
Gwen
Old April 14th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Can\\\'t Detect Monitor When Using HDMI Port

Glad to hear it

One thing you might want to be aware of, if you dont want your Audio going through the HDMI port you can disable the audio to the HDMI in the windows playback settings, you would probably need to have the HDMI connected first so that it appears in the list and just right click and select disable. This only affects the sound not the picture.
If you dont do this and start Hoster it is quite possible it would auto select that as the Audio out and you not get any sound from the headphone out jack.
Just a warning.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.