MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 6th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Karaoke legal issues

First, let me state that I specialize in licensing, so I present this from an informed opinion. I have been reading quite a few postings in this forum that relate to the legal ramifications of downloading and burning. There are two elements to each and every song recorded: the composition, which is generally owned by the writer, and the performance, which is owned or licensed from the creator by the label. Most of the concerns stated pertain to the performance, such as playing a customer's burned CD+G if they state they do not own the original. There are, however, many valid issues with the composition itself, and a knowledge void.

Karaoke CD+Gs require a synchronization license from each publisher or administrator with a portion of control. Each of these licenses must be individually negotiated for each use, and there is no statutory use or rate, unlike a mechanical license for a traditional audio release. There are many writers (note the distinction between writer and performer) that deny any use of their composition - their intellectual property - for karaoke. Many are high visibility writers, such as Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow, Prince, Madonna, and Van Morrison. Many are more easily recognized by the name of their band, such as Green Day, Led Zep, Eagles, U2, Rolling Stones, Linkin Park, and Journey. You can't simply state "any and all" for most of these folks as performers, but the vast majority of the content that is truly popular by these artists is technically off limits for karaoke. Labels put the tracks out without any license or royalty paid to the songwriter - essentially stealing intellectual property. It's akin to the club owner stiffing a KJ after the show - the KJ isn't paid for the work. I intend to continue to monitor the forum discussions and comment when I see a red flag writer; there are so many songs that the writer's wishes should be respected.