MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 27th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Dj stuff

Does anyone know of a way or place I can download music for DJing? Can I pay a royalty fe or something so i can be legal?
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Re: Dj stuff

Wal-Mart dot com has music for .88 cents a down load you have the licence agreement with it. Best Buy has a free cd you can get at their stores and you can down load for .79 cents per. Catch you get charged $9.95 a month for this vs none for the Wal-Mart.
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:33 PM

Gotrich -

I use Rhapsody, they charge 9.95 per month and .79 cents a song. Unlike Walmart service you do not need to download a separate license for each song. All of the downloads are legal and royalties are paid. What I like about this service it's very user freindly and you get alot for your monthly service fee. You can go online and see what features they offer. I have tried quite a few but this is by far the easiest service I have found.

If you have a Best Buy in your area you can purchase a CD that has the download and your first 10 song downloads are free. It costs you $9.95 for
the CD which pays for your first month. Then if you wish to continue the service you give them your credit card info at the end of that month.

You can sign up online but they do not give you the 10 free songs.

Flipper
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper
All of the downloads are legal and royalties are paid.
I would double check on this, while yes, I would agree that the songs are legal, I would be hesitant to say royalties are paid, I think you would still have to pay BMI or ASCAP (or both) in order to play these for profit in public, just as if I purchased a CD. I could be wrong though...

Flip
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Doesn't the bar pay BMI or whomever to have a Jukebox, live band, DJ , etc? So why would we have to pay and the bar pay too?
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:39 AM

OH also how do I PROOVE to an agent IF I were to get asked to provide proof of legality? Just who might stop in...excise? BMI? who am I looking for.

As of now I am 100% legal eagle!! NOTHING is on my PC if I don't own it. I have stacks of CD's in my room but I am looking to expand and Dont want to spen $1000's on Cd's when i can choose what I want.

Thanks for the info
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Rhapsody agreement-
. GRANT OF LICENSE
Listen hereby grants to you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the Application on any computer solely for personal, noncommercial use and subject to the following terms:
You may not: (i) frame or link to the Application except as expressly permitted in writing by Listen; (ii) permit other individuals to use the Application; (iii) modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble (except to the extent that this restriction is expressly prohibited by law) or create derivative works based upon the Application or any portion thereof; (iv) copy the Application or any portion thereof; (v) sell, rent, lease, transfer, distribute, broadcast, display or otherwise assign any rights to the Application to any third party;

WALMART-
5. Usage Rules.

You are entitled to download, export, burn or copy Products solely for personal, noncommercial use in accordance with the terms of this Agreement. Any burning or exporting capabilities are solely an accommodation to you and shall not constitute a grant or waiver of any rights of the copyright owners in any Product or in any content, sound recording, underlying musical composition, artwork or other copyrightable matter embodied in any Product. No right, title or interest in any downloaded Products or software is transferred to you as a result of any downloading or copying or otherwise. All rights in the Products are owned by WALMART.COM or its licensors and you have only a limited, nontransferable, nonexclusive, revocable, nonsublicensable right to use the Products for personal use in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.

You may not reproduce (except as noted above), publish, transmit, distribute, display, broadcast, re-broadcast, modify, create derivative works from, sell or participate in any sale of or exploit in any way, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, any of the Products, the Service or any related software.
NONCOMMERCIAL USE his mean not as a DJ right?

Last edited by gotrich; October 29th, 2004 at 08:08 AM.
Old October 31st, 2004, 03:42 AM

anyone got any Ideas? Can this be done? How do I get music for weddings and such without spending 1000's$?

How do I contact BMI ir the place that would come and ask me for proof of my cd's? This is where I would like to start...but how do i contact someone?

Has anyone ever been checked before?