MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I sing in church(not noisy clubs) and need quality...

Let me preface this by saying that I sing in church...not noisy clubs, so I need pretty decent quality...

Is there a good program out there that will simply lower the key or pitch of a track for me and still give me good quality without a wobble in the sound of the track?

If you have any suggestions, let me know. Thanx.
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM

Philly,
To get the best quality sound I recommend Hoster (or Hoster light).
http://www.mtu.com/basics/karaoke-hoster.htm (Hoster will also make handling your tracks a breeze, NO DISC!)
Import your disc into Hoster selecting the highest samle rate (192k). This high sample rate gives you the best sound possible and alows Hoster to raise or lower the key with very little change in the track.

Who the track was recorded by (what brand) is a factor that is beyond anybody's control so you will find a track on occasion that just doesn't sound good when the key is changed. This is rare.

I Hope This Helps!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:23 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Philly,
To get the best quality sound I recommend Hoster (or Hoster light).
http://www.mtu.com/basics/karaoke-hoster.htm (Hoster will also make handling your tracks a breeze, NO DISC!)
Import your disc into Hoster selecting the highest samle rate (192k). This high sample rate gives you the best sound possible and alows Hoster to raise or lower the key with very little change in the track.

Who the track was recorded by (what brand) is a factor that is beyond anybody's control so you will find a track on occasion that just doesn't sound good when the key is changed. This is rare.

I Hope This Helps!

Jim
I have noticed it on only two occasions where I lowered the pitch down 5 steps, it got kind of rumbly/messy.

The other case it was lowering 3 steps.

Old January 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM

What I really want to do is take an existing CD I have and copy it in a lower key. That's all I really want to do and still have a good quality recording.

What program allows me to do that?

I might also want to take another song and remove the voice from it so I can use it as a soundtrack. What program allows me to do that?

Will Vogone let you both remove a voice and change a pitch? If not, is there a program out there that can do both?

I am very new to this, so I appreciate your patience with the novice! I am 37 now...when I was 27 my voice would soar...unfortunately I can't sing Alto like I used to! I'm just a normal tenor now!
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

I am afraid you will have to have both Vogone and Keyrite though neither is that expensive, they are both the best programs available to do the jobs. I would recommend you remove the vocals before you change the key on any new songs.
There is a Demo version of the Keyrite and a demo of Vogone that you can download and see the quality.
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM

What's going to happen if I don't remove the background vocals before pitching a song down a few notches?

How hard is it to do? Can I remove the vocals, pitch it down 3, 4 or 5 notches, then add the background vocals back in? Will it sound normal?
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfanatic View Post
What's going to happen if I don't remove the background vocals before pitching a song down a few notches?

How hard is it to do? Can I remove the vocals, pitch it down 3, 4 or 5 notches, then add the background vocals back in? Will it sound normal?
What you remove as far as the vocals is not the background vocals, but the lead singer. Background vocals are not removed.
No you can't add the lead vocals back once they are removed. Even if that was possible you would then have the vocals singing at one pitch and the music at another....yuck!!