MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Unhappy Can't import .zip or .bin files

OK...I'm baffled.

I've got some files that are .zip archives containing an mp3 file and a .cdg file and I thought I read somewhere that Hoster will import this format.

When I select Import from Hard Drive, I select ZIP, browse to the folder that contains the zip files and click 'Select' and I get absolutely nothing in the file list. I see the "info" about file format, but that doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

So, I used a program to convert the .zip archives to .bin files, hoping this would be an easier process - nope, same result, nothing in the file list to import.

Browsing these forums, I saw something that talked about the format of the file name, so I followed the format that seemed to resolve the other poster's issue - nope, same result, nothing in the file list to import.

Suffice to say, frustration is increasing, so please, can someone shed some light on how I can import zip files into my library? I really like Hoster, but this is driving me batty!

Thanks in advance,
Ric
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Frequent Member

Hoster does import zip files like you have described. In some earlier versions of Hoster when you went to import zip files from the hard drive and selected the import folder to load them from the files did not actually appear. However, once you clicked okay the files would appear in the import window. I'm not sure what version of Hoster you have but the current version 3.319 does show the zip files correctly when the import folder is selected and it does work very well. What version of Hoster are you using and what operating system are you running on your PC?
1TB Raid1 Internal Hard Drives
C:\ System files
C:\ Hoster kma files
ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB PCI Express 16x dual head
Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1
CD Drive Plextor DR Premium
DVD Drive Plextor PX-712A
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric_castagna View Post
OK...I'm baffled.

I've got some files that are .zip archives containing an mp3 file and a .cdg file and I thought I read somewhere that Hoster will import this format.

When I select Import from Hard Drive, I select ZIP, browse to the folder that contains the zip files and click 'Select' and I get absolutely nothing in the file list. I see the "info" about file format, but that doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

So, I used a program to convert the .zip archives to .bin files, hoping this would be an easier process - nope, same result, nothing in the file list to import.

Browsing these forums, I saw something that talked about the format of the file name, so I followed the format that seemed to resolve the other poster's issue - nope, same result, nothing in the file list to import.

Suffice to say, frustration is increasing, so please, can someone shed some light on how I can import zip files into my library? I really like Hoster, but this is driving me batty!

Thanks in advance,
Ric
In the Import Hard Drive Files screen, above the "file list window", uncheck the "Remove Imported Tracks" check box and see if the files show in the File Window.

If you had already imported them, with this checked they would not appear. Unchecking it makes them appear again.
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:42 AM
VIP

Are you sure you are actually selecting the correct folder? Do you see your zips (or bins) in there when you select it?

In other words make sure you double-click the correct folder (when you do, you will see your zip files in the window below) and then click the Select button. If you don't have the right folder selected, it will put you one folder too high.

Sam

[edited by Admin]
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the replies, folks...

OK, I've verified that I have both .zip and .bin files in the directory I'm trying to import from. In either scenario, I'm selecting the "parent" folder for these files and not the files themselves.

Checking/Unchecking the "Remove Imported Tracks" produces no difference in the behavior of the app.

I'm using the most current version of Hoster - 3.319 on an XP Tablet edition with all appropriate Service Packs and updates applied.

I'm still open to suggestions - I've got an open ticket with support as well, but so far there's been no solution presented there.

Thanks again, and I look forward to anything more that can help...

Take care,
Ric
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check the box for "Include Sub-folders"? If it isn't checked then you will not see any files in folders under the "Parent" folder.
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM

ddouglass,

Hmmmm...I'm not seeing a checkbox with the option of "Include Sub-Folders" on the interface for either .zip or .bin files. The only checkbox I see is the one for "Remove Imported Tracks".

Ric
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Oops! That is coming soon. But that does help to answer.
When you say "Parent" Folder are your zip and/or bin files in sub-folders under the Parent or are they directly in the Parent?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM

Dale,

They are directly contained in the parent folder, nothing "deeper" than that.

Granted, they're "mixed" (both .zip and .bin files) within that parent folder, but not nested within subdirectories.

Ric
Old February 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Are you running Vista or XP?
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM

Dale,

XP Tablet Edition, current with all Service Packs and updates.

Ric
Old February 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

That is strange. If it was Vista then I could say it was Vista hiding the files from you which we have seen before. Are these possibly hidden folder/files or read only maybe?
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM

Dale,

Well, I spent some more time with this today and found a few very interesting things.

There appears to be problems with Hoster reading files that are on an NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive. This drive uses Samba to talk to Windows networks, so that may have something to do with it.

Once I brought these files locally to the laptop, I still couldn't get them to import as a .zip archive. They never did show up in the file list window.

In order to import these files, I had to decompress the zip archive and then import the tracks as .cdg files.

Talk about going around my ankle to get to my elbow.

I mentioned that I opened a ticket with Hoster. Well, I finally received a response from the folks there. Their advice: Read the manual. I re-read the manual as suggested and found precisely no solution to my problem. Thanks for the support, MTU...I think I'll stick with the forums where the people are not only helpful but courteous as well.

Thanks again for the help, Dale.

Take care,
Ric
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Ric you are right. Network drives are not supported. If it is like the one I have that drive will also work with USB or Firewire. If you use that connection method to connect it to your laptop then it would work.
The problem with zip files is there are so many formats that it is hard to keep up with them all. Microstudio got new zip that can read most of them but Hoster hasn't gotten it yet so that may be the reason it isn't reading those.
If you have Songverter then try a zip to zip conversion on 50 or so and see if they show up in the Hoster IMport window.