MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old April 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM

Regular Singer Song Database

Is there any way I can creat a song database for my regular singers by name that follow me around, so they don't have to put in a request for song they always sing.

Thanks Firewolf
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I use Word for my own song list you could do that for each singer
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Lightbulb Excel

I'm actually going to try doing that in EXCEL....

the other thing to do is bring INDEX CARDS. If you have 3X5 index cards for each singer, you can just file them accordingly in a holder. I know it's not HIGH TECH but, I've seen 3 or 4 KJs that do this with much success.

Last night while I was singing I actually turned in a sheet that said
"whatever you want to hear" to the DJ;) I was expecting it to be something funny like It's Raining Men or I Will Survive (I'm male) But, he does a pretty good job at picking things out for me to sing. Sometimes I don't know them as well as I would like but, last night he picked Feel Like Making Love by Bad Company. Which 70's & 80's rock is my little nitch so I was ok HEHE

One of the best things that I have noticed from the Good KJs in the 'greater Cincinnati area' is that once you are back for your 3rd or 4th time, they know what you sing, what you like. The way that you can remember this is totally up to you. Word would be too hard to layout...try Excel or maybe just maybe if you have the knowledge of the program. Set up a Database in Access.

Now you've got me thinking;) hehe I might just lay out an access database.

Old April 28th, 2006, 11:42 AM
VIP

I have used envelopes with slips of previous songs of regulars in them. As they sing new songs, it gets added to the envelope, no new work and only one new slip. Some slips are two years old and are still being used. I need to print very few new request slips as a result. The singers seem to feel special as they walk in and then request their envelope, then they usually hand me 5 or 6 in the order they want them, by show start 80% of the night's singers' songs are entered.

Works well.

PS When someone appears three consecutive nights, they usually ask for an envelope and feel qualified as a "regular".

Also, husbands/wifes, gf/bf,s are kept in the same envelope.
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:16 PM

You are right about the singers feeling "special" having their own envelopes. I have been doing karaoke in Great Falls, Montana for over six years now (moved from Spokane, Washington), and was the only KJ at that time that put pens and slips in a pouch at the front of the books, and kept regulars slips for them. Then, everyone started doing it. ( Obviously, I was NOT the first KJ to do this in the world, ha,ha,ha); and some of the other KJs started saving singers' slips. Some of the KJs here, now that they have gone computer, don't have books or slips. Have considered the same, but, at this time, my regulars, and newcomers still want to feel special. One draw back to saving singers' slips, is they sing the SAME songs when they come in, and hardly look to see what you have new. But, you save on slips, ha,ha,ha. It is really nice when new singers come in and sing different songs, even the help at the bar appreciate NEW songs and singers.