MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old September 18th, 2002, 07:00 AM

Plextor USB2 8/8/24

Purchased Plextor from MTU Dec 2001. Purchased Laptop with XP Home Feb 2002. Have OrangeMicro card for USB2. It is now Sept 2002 and I cannot Microstudio (now 2.315) to write when Plextor is attached through the USB2. It does write on the old laptop with ME, but always seemed to be at USB1 speed. It writes on XP if installed to the USB1 port.

Additional info - If I reboot when attached to USB2, XP does not load driver and reports that a duplicate device is running (code 42). I can reboot and then attach to USB2. Sometimes when attaching to USB1 XP reports a high speed device is being attached to a low speed port. I have installed all updates for XP (except SP1), firmware, DX, Sony BIOS. I have followed all instructions from MTU, OrangeMicro and Plextor. I have spent many hours with support. OrangeMicro even replaced their card to be sure. DXDiag attached.

Does MTU know how to solve this problem?
Old September 20th, 2002, 04:42 PM

Tlindzon,
You have a specific problem that we have not seen before. This is a very challenging problem also dealing with the USB 2.0 card. Please try to download the Latest ASPI drivers from our website. These support the USB drive.

Here is the location of the ASPI drivers that are needed for the USB drive to be supported under Micrsotudio.

Download this file: http://www.mtu.com/upgrades/microstu...idrivers16.exe

You will need your Microstudio Email and serial number to install this program.

Then go into Microstudio, click on the Drives menu at the top. Click on ASPI drivers. Make sure this is set to USE the MTU Installed Driver. Then close Microstudio and Reopen it.

I am using the Orange Micro PCMCIA card in my laptop with the same drive and it works perfect. You must keep the power cord plugged into the Orange Micro PCMCIA card though, or it will not work.
Old September 21st, 2002, 08:35 AM

Unhappy

Byran,

Followed your instructions.... Should have told a dummy like me I needed to stay online to install the driver.
However, the same result. I had to boot before pluging the Plextor drive into USB2 or I got the error "cannot load duplicate device" code 42. Microstudio did recognize the drive but would not write to the disk. It did write if I pugged into USB1. I didn't say, before but you might want to know Firmware is 1.05 and drive speed is set to "auto".
Old September 24th, 2002, 05:01 PM

Tom,
Go to Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information.

Select the very top Item, System Information, then click the Action Menu, Save As Text File. Name this TLINDZON System Information.txt.

Then attach this file to this post or email it to me at Support@mtu.com.

It will take it a few minutes to save this file.
Old September 25th, 2002, 05:10 AM

Bryan,

You need to tell a dummy like me to use "export" rather than "save" so I could save as a .txt file. I sent the file to you at "support".

Thanks,

Tom
Old September 25th, 2002, 10:03 AM

Tom,
On my system it is Save as Text file. I typed in exactly what I had to do to get the information that I wanted from you. I guess it is different on your system. I am using Windows 2000.

Tom,
Here is what I have found from the information that you have sent to me.

It seems that everything in your computer is on the Same IRQ. Here is the list below:

IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 9 ATI RAGE MOBILITY-M1 AGP
IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)
IRQ 9 Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data,Fax Modem
IRQ 9 Texas Instruments PCI-1420 CardBus Controller
IRQ 9 OrangeUSB USB 2.0 Host Controller
IRQ 9 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 9 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 9 Texas Instruments PCI-1420 CardBus Controller
IRQ 9 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IRQ 9 Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC

I will try to contact Orange Micro to find out if there card needs to have its own IRQ.
Old September 25th, 2002, 10:19 AM

Tom,
Does the Plextor drive show up when in My Computer when you have it plugged into the USB 2.0 card? I have no clue why it would say that there is a duplicate device already running. what you could try doing is going into Device manager and removing the Plextor drive, and then reboot the computer and allow it to reinstall it.

To do this Right click on My Computer, Left click Properties, Left click the Hardware menu, then click the middle button that says Device manager. Find DVD/CD-Rom drives,Left click on this, you should then see your Plextor PXS-88T drive. Right click on this drive, and then left click uninstall. Once this is done, reboot the computer and see what happens.

I have no clue why yours will not work under XP Home. Mine works perfect under Windows 2000. I would say that it could be something with this new laptop, since it was all working on your old Laptop.
Old September 25th, 2002, 05:25 PM

Bryan,

If I leave the Plextor in USB2 while rebooting, I get the duplicate device message and the drive is not anywhere. If I boot and then plug in the drive it is everywhere but does not write. I have probably removed the usb drivers and reinstalled 25 times in every combination you can think of. I have even reformated the harddisk several times installing components in different orders. Remember, I have been wrestling with this problem since February. If you keep old eMails there are a few from me.
Old September 27th, 2002, 05:22 AM

Byran,

This is what happens... I uninstall the Plextor from USB1 and plug into USB2 - I would expect XP to see new hardware but it does not. However, the drive is recognized and everything appears OK. It will read a track (.CDG or .WAV) to the harddisk. It will not write as before. Even more frustrating when I reboot the computer it says new hardware found - 2 items USB2 Host and USB mass storage device. Again everything appears OK but the same result - the drive will not write.

Tom
Old September 27th, 2002, 05:33 AM

Byran,

I forgot to mention the last thing... When I reboot the computer again the drive is not recognized and the driver for USB Mass Storage device has an "!" and reports duplicate device code 42.

Tom
Old September 27th, 2002, 09:30 AM

Tom,
Can you write to this drive using any CD-R program? Such as EZ CD Creator or is it only Microstudio that is giving you problems?

Does it give you any error messages or what does it do exactly when you do try to write to it?

This honestly sounds like a hardware problem to me, and I am at a loss as to what part, but you have replaced the card and that didn't do the trick.

When it is plugged into the USB 1.1 are you able to write?

Tom, also try making sure that you have updated to the Windows XP Service Pack 1, by running the Windows Update from the Start Menu.

Make sure that you have updated all of the drivers for this system that are located on Sony's website at http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/...9/softupdates/

One for sure that you need to have done is the Bios upgrade, should be the top item. This was updated on 9/19/02.
Old September 30th, 2002, 05:46 AM

Bryan,

I did not have a lot of time this weekend, but here's what I did. I went to Sony and downloaded the new BIOS. I re-installed the Plextor. XP did not find new hardware but everything appeared to be working. As always I was able to write to the disk with Roxio software. For the first time I was able to write to the disk with MS, but it took 13 minutes to write 13 minutes of music. I plugged the Plextor into USB1 and MS took 4 minutes to write the same file. I rebooted and this time XP found new hardware. The test went the same way - 13 minutes on USB2 and 4 minutes on USB1. I rebooted again while plugged into USB2 and got the same message as before "duplicate device - code 42). I'm back to square one. Maybe your right and there is something wrong with the Plextor.

Tom
Old September 30th, 2002, 10:05 AM

Tom,
Honestly I think there is a hardware issue now. This is not normal at all. There is a One year warranty with Plextor. If you want to send me the drive I can test it here and then see if it is bad and RMA it back to Plextor. What is it that Plextor is telling you? To me there is no way in the world that it should keep giving you that Duplicate Device found message. Also, I have this same drive and it will write perfect on my system, it is Windows 2000 but I have also used it on an XP system and it worked fine to.

Try going to Plextors Website and download and Upgrade the Firmware one more time. I know that you have the version 1.05, which is the latest and must be had for it to work on XP. But, if for some reason it got corupted or something maybe it is causing problems. The only thing that I am unaware of is if the firmware will allow it to overwrite and upgrade that same version. So it may not do anything, hopefully it will just go ahead and upgrade and write the new firmware to the drive.

When you have it hooked up on USB 2, and click on Audio in Microstudio how long does that take? Also, when you use the Roxio EZ CD Creator how long does it take to write the CD using that? Are they both going the same speeds?
Old October 2nd, 2002, 05:56 AM

Bryan,

Downloaded 1.05 again, same result. Do you need to give me an RMA to send the Plextor back to you?

Tom
Old October 2nd, 2002, 06:17 AM

If I plug in to USB2 after the computer is rebooted the drive is recognized. MS took about one minute to write a 4 minute .wav file. Roxio did it in a few seconds. The still gets code 42 if I reboot while connected to USB2.

PS Do you want just the drive or power supply as well?

Tom
Old October 2nd, 2002, 12:19 PM

Tom,
We will need the drive and the Powersupply. You can keep the USB cable.

I am emailing you an RMA number.