MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Automatic Voice enhancer

Well, I've been told (by a blowhard) that there is a mixer that will automatically adjust the singers voice so he/she will sound a lot better than the would normally. I can only do so much with my mixer which is ok but when I'm busy, it would be nice to be freed up from this.....So, is it true they make something....been looking and no luck.

Plus, anyone use the Sabine mixer w/feedback eliminator??
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnkarl View Post
Well, I've been told (by a blowhard) that there is a mixer that will automatically adjust the singers voice so he/she will sound a lot better than the would normally. I can only do so much with my mixer which is ok but when I'm busy, it would be nice to be freed up from this.....So, is it true they make something....been looking and no luck.

Feedback eliminators, compressors, and the like are just tools. To work correctly they have to be set for each individual that is singing. You can get a fairly good overall setting that will work OK for most singers. But remember my rule #27.

I am only a technician, not a magician. You gotta give me something to work with.
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
VIP

Quote:

If there is a magic board like that I haven't heard of it. The ONLY thing I can think of is MAYBE one of the Yamaha MG boards that have compression built into the mic channels that can be adjusted. Compression will help smooth out the vocals so when you get a screamer it will keep the volume of the voice more in check instead of getting crazy loud.
I would use the Sabine FB Eliminator over anything else, however in most cases it just isn't needed. What causes feedback the most is improper speaker placement, improper gain structure on the mixer & people sticking the mics too close to the speakers. A Feedback Eliminator will aid, but can also do more harm to the overall sound - especially if any of the 3 main causes are in place because what a FBE unit does is sense the feedback & then slices out that particular frequency until it stops. Well all that is going to happen now is another frequency will start to feed, it pulls that one out as well. Someone gets too close to the speaker & it might pull 4 or 5 frequencies - by this time there are about 6-7 frequencies pulled out, the sound is not longer very good.
Good speaker placement, better mic control (you can teach people) & better gain structure on the mixer is the main place to start. After that I would opt for a good dual 31 band eq & try to ring out problem frequencies or easy way, get a dbx DriveRack with RTA mic & set the room up automatically.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM
VIP

Quote:

There was a device (voice live?) that was a forum subject 2 or 3 years ago that would correct a singers pitch. It cost about $600 and you had to dial in the pitch ahead of time to make it work so I never checked into it much.

Sam
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
There was a device (voice live?) that was a forum subject 2 or 3 years ago that would correct a singers pitch. It cost about $600 and you had to dial in the pitch ahead of time to make it work so I never checked into it much.

Sam
i had one about 7 years ago before we all went digital,( i was using a mini disc back then ) it was made by A.R.E. it was a table top type gear not a rack mount , cost me almost $700, the only bad thing about it was its only good for 1 mic,and this was a very excellent gear, you can sound like from michael jackson to darth vader, eagles to a church choir..has a pitch correction etc.i had to trade it in for a mackie vlz
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

I use a Vocopro mixer and it has Key Control for both the music and the microphones. However no amount of key shift is going to fix a flat singer. You may be able to bring their pitch down or up slightly but if they are off key it won't help.
Reverb/Echo will help some and that may be what they were asking for.
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Talking

I just want the mixer that has the built in suck knob so I can dial down how bad the singer sounds, I think the one I have isn't working.
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Why is it that the worst singers always think it is your equipment that is making them sound bad?? We have one who is always flat and two lines behind the lyrics. She accuses us of speeding the songs up to make her sound bad.
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:40 PM

i have one that used to come to my show and i was not aware that he was partially deaf !!!! yes deaf !!! i kinda noticed it when every song that has a word that starts /end with s on it it comes out diff. and he was so out of timed,and i could see that he was kinda counting the beat by tapping his feet on the ground,( like a bass drum) and he keeps telling me that there was something wrong with the music..i just dont have the heart to tell him that it wasnt the music..
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
I just want the mixer that has the built in suck knob so I can dial down how bad the singer sounds,
All boards have them, they are called "Faders". Some folks call the "Volume Controlers".

This ia a joke and not ment to offend anybody. The thought made me laugh.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Voice Enhancers

Just think of the business one of those things would generate. Pretty soon the Celebrity Imitators would be out of business. Just go to the K-Bar and be any singer with a twist of the knob.
muzicman
Old December 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Just think of the business one of those things would generate. Pretty soon the Celebrity Imitators would be out of business. Just go to the K-Bar and be any singer with a twist of the knob.
muzicman
Didn't Milli Vanilli get caught doing that? Girl, you know it's true.
Old December 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
Didn't Milli Vanilli get caught doing that? Girl, you know it's true.
No no, they got caught lip syncing, they never actually sang a note on their records or live - which is when they got caught, singing on stage & the cd skipped!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old December 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i have one that used to come to my show and i was not aware that he was partially deaf !!!! yes deaf !!! i kinda noticed it when every song that has a word that starts /end with s on it it comes out diff. and he was so out of timed,and i could see that he was kinda counting the beat by tapping his feet on the ground,( like a bass drum) and he keeps telling me that there was something wrong with the music..i just dont have the heart to tell him that it wasnt the music..
I used to have an older gentleman who had been steadily losing his hearing since the Korean war ("too much bang bang"). He's now at the point where his hearing aids don't help much and is slurring his words a bit and very monotone (and crotchety to boot). For him I have to turn up the music and his vocals. It can be a long 4 minutes. Most of the regulars know the deal, for other people I will usually discreetly explain the situation to them and their cool about it.
How do you tell a guy "thankyou for your service to our country, but because of that service we don't want you to sing".

Sam
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Sam do you have a headphone jack on your mixer? If so you could get a long corded headphone and have him wear it over one ear. That might help him. You would have to descreetly approach him about it.
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
I just want the mixer that has the built in suck knob so I can dial down how bad the singer sounds, I think the one I have isn't working.
I saw a humorous cartoon once showing a goofy looking soundguy at a concert pressing the "suck" button on the mixer and showing the crowd booing the band.

I wished I had snagged that cartoon.

Sam
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
VIP

Quote:
I saw a humorous cartoon once showing a goofy looking soundguy at a concert pressing the "suck" button on the mixer and showing the crowd booing the band.

I wished I had snagged that cartoon.

Sam
I made that label for my mixer & put it on the +48 phantom power button. We accidently pushed it once & it made a horrendous noise, so it was labeled the suck button. People asked why I just told them because it would suck if you pushed it.
Here is the cartoon pic though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (40.9 KB, 31 views)

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old December 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I used to have an older gentleman who had been steadily losing his hearing since the Korean war ("too much bang bang"). He's now at the point where his hearing aids don't help much and is slurring his words a bit and very monotone (and crotchety to boot). For him I have to turn up the music and his vocals. It can be a long 4 minutes. Most of the regulars know the deal, for other people I will usually discreetly explain the situation to them and their cool about it.
How do you tell a guy "thankyou for your service to our country, but because of that service we don't want you to sing".

Sam
The day your show gets to that point of "thank you for your service to our country, but we don't won't you to sing" because of too much "bang-bang", please tell me you didn't tell him he can't sing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not funny, nor should it come to the point of making fun, which is the way i see this post.
He was there so now, you, hopefully, want have to be.
muzicman
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM

I don't think any of our bad singer post were aimed at hummiliating a vet. the post kinda skiped back to the suck knob joke and back to the deaf subject.
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
The day your show gets to that point of "thank you for your service to our country, but we don't won't you to sing" because of too much "bang-bang", please tell me you didn't tell him he can't sing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not funny, nor should it come to the point of making fun, which is the way i see this post.
He was there so now, you, hopefully, want have to be.
muzicman
I'm sorry you misunderstood my post.The short interpretation should have been that no matter how bad he was, I would never ever tell him that he couldn't sing, primarily because of his service to our country.

"bang bang" was his euphemism for gunfire and explosions. His way of explaining his deafness .

Sam