MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: How Big is your rotation?
under 10 1 2.33%
10 to 20 18 41.86%
20 to 30 18 41.86%
30 to 40 2 4.65%
40 to 50 2 4.65%
50 and up 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31st, 2007, 08:52 PM

How Big is it?

How many People is slow How Many is Busy
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:13 AM
VIP

Depends on the size of the room, how much they spend, how long they stay, whether they leave and return later, etc., etc...

Too many variables.

Almost like asking, "Do you walk to work or carry your lunch"?

Old September 1st, 2007, 05:27 AM
VIP

Average weeknights 15-20, average weekends 30-40.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM

Weekdays it can get up to 50 or so
Weekends it will get above 50 or so
We Do Karaoke 7 days a week
Tuesday is our slowest day
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:43 AM
VIP

Slow can be 0.
Busy can be 30.

Depends on a number of variables.
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Ok I guess this question is not very specific.
But On the weekends here singers are lucky if they sing twice, thats how busy it gets here and why we do it 7 days a week.
once we start getting busy it just blows up.
so I'm Not talking aqbout the first 4 people that show up early, I'm talking about the max number at its peak you have in a night?
If We have under 20 it's a really slow night REALLY!!! Slow!!!
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM
VIP

So what are you telling us?

Old September 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
So what are you telling us?
I don't understand either. I consider having 10 people singing constantly with a few new ones coming in or out, being just as busy for me as having to put songs in for someone new and never having a round complete itself.

If you are asking how much business the bar does, then that's a totally different question. All of us have those types of places available, but few of us do karaoke in them. Personally, they would have to pay me a hell of a lot more money to work there. I like my crowds and have good personal relationships with almost all of our singers, even if there are only 15 or 20 each night.

When we play parties, it almost always involves some of these singers.
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshoe View Post
I don't understand either. I consider having 10 people singing constantly with a few new ones coming in or out, being just as busy for me as having to put songs in for someone new and never having a round complete itself.

If you are asking how much business the bar does, then that's a totally different question. All of us have those types of places available, but few of us do karaoke in them. Personally, they would have to pay me a hell of a lot more money to work there. I like my crowds and have good personal relationships with almost all of our singers, even if there are only 15 or 20 each night.

When we play parties, it almost always involves some of these singers.
Ditto

Old September 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM
VIP

[quote=CerealKiller;65537]I'm talking about the max number at its peak you have in a night?
quote]

We always have at least 50 total singers, sometimes 75.
But we are entertaining enough for another whole group of ppl just to come and listen and dance and just to be there that also spend money (and never sing a song) at the place and always hire us for their weddings, house parties, etc., etc.

Old September 5th, 2007, 05:25 PM
VIP

I was gathering he was asking how many singers would you have from a starting singer to an ending singer before going back to the starting singer (a 'round' or rotation), not how many singers can you get in a night. An average 'round' for me would be 15-20 on weeknights from a begining point to an ending point before starting back to the first singer. On weekends it's about 30-40.
If you are going by how many individual singers do you an average a night, that would be sometimes hard to count it may be the same 15-20 singers all night or with singers coming in & leaving, that number could go higher for actual individual singers, it would be hard to track.
You can only get so many singers total per any night which for a 4 hour period would be about 50-70 singers 'total' depending on the song lengths - so if that is the question, then everyone will pretty much have the same answer based on a 4 hour night.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old September 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM

yes!! How big is the rotation at its max?

I Would love to just have about 20 singers!

I often feel a little bad that people don't get to sing much where I work And I was just wondering if others out there had large rotation.

I Know these numbers vary alot night to night, week to week.

But just let me know What kind of numbers were talking about.

Whats a good average? Whats a Real Busy Night? Whats a slow night?

Not how many total songs in a night.

My average weekday is 30 or so
but can be above 50 sometimes

Weekends always above 50

a real busy night will be above 60

A Slow night is under 20
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:27 PM

How big is it

I don't do karaoke but 60 singers at 4 minutes apiece equals 4 hours. How long a show do you do. A singer sings one song only on the busy nights.

Muzicman144
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:49 AM

One place I work for three hours from midnight till 3AM gets eighty to one hundred folks in it. I only put a singer on my list once. They put in their next song after they sing the one that is on the list, this keeps my list fair. The folks that get their early and stay late will get to sing twice if the crowd isn't too big. The wait is 1 1/2 hours on average. Here, twenty to thirty folks on the list all night is average. On a real busy night every body will get to sing once. These nights the list goes up to forty or better.

Other smaller places the list stays from ten to fifteen folks. They rotate out fast and get to sing more songs through the night.

What the singer wants depends on where they sing with me. If they like siging in front of a large crowd they come to the late club and sing once, maybe twice if they are lucky. If they like to sing a bunch, they come to the smaller clubs. Some folks come out for both.

I find that every club is different.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:01 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
I don't do karaoke but 60 singers at 4 minutes apiece equals 4 hours. How long a show do you do. A singer sings one song only on the busy nights.

Muzicman144
I generally get 14 songs per hour and usually run overtime 15-20 minutes

On nights when I've got a 30 person rotation it's usually only one round. Few singers will wait another 2 hours for 1 more song. Usually the first or second round will be short then one loooong round followed by another short round or two. sometimes I'll lose so many singers after a long round that I can end up struggling for singers towards the end of the night.
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:36 AM
VIP

Tonight was kind of slow, averaged 12-15 singers per round. But it was pretty much the same singers all night, didn't have a large fluctuation between old & new.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old September 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
I was gathering he was asking how many singers would you have from a starting singer to an ending singer before going back to the starting singer (a 'round' or rotation), not how many singers can you get in a night. An average 'round' for me would be 15-20 on weeknights from a begining point to an ending point before starting back to the first singer. On weekends it's about 30-40.
If you are going by how many individual singers do you an average a night, that would be sometimes hard to count it may be the same 15-20 singers all night or with singers coming in & leaving, that number could go higher for actual individual singers, it would be hard to track.
You can only get so many singers total per any night which for a 4 hour period would be about 50-70 singers 'total' depending on the song lengths - so if that is the question, then everyone will pretty much have the same answer based on a 4 hour night.
Ya thats true too , but a slow night could be any number aswell, and sometimes the KJ sings up to 5 r ten times as well. Sometimes singers don't start till 10:30. Hpwever, it does seem like a 50 person rotation is kinda strange, some ppl may never get to sing, while some will hang around 4 hours to sing once, sheesh.

Old September 6th, 2007, 07:42 AM
VIP

Like tonight's rotation averaged between 7 and 12, first singer at 9:45, played till one. Always play dance tunes by request, (probably totalled 45 min of music) ; bar made over a 1000 dollars on a wed. night, remember, in Central maine, where the most expensive drink is 2.25 and other bars in town can't afford to stay open on a Wed., last year this place was averaging less than 200 dollars a Wed. night. This would be considered a very busy night as there were 50 other ppl in a small place watching the singers.

A lot of variables to apply to this question, but it does evoke a lot of interesting discussion.

Old September 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post

On nights when I've got a 30 person rotation it's usually only one round. Few singers will wait another 2 hours for 1 more song. Usually the first or second round will be short then one loooong round followed by another short round or two. sometimes I'll lose so many singers after a long round that I can end up struggling for singers towards the end of the night.
This happens to us on weekends at one place a lot.

Old September 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM

I Usally get here at 8:00 sometimes i get started by 8:30 and we go untill 2:45 so it can be a six hour show. I try my best to get as many as I can in. Before I started as a kj I used to sing every once in awhile so i know how bad it is to only sing 1 or 2 times in a night, but what can you do when the rotation get that big, nothing. I know this was a vague question but I realy appreciate everyones comments.

"Mines bigger than yours" ha ha ha just kidding