MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > MicroCD Help

MicroCD Help General forum for discussing MicroCD and audio CD mastering.

Old November 10th, 2000, 09:16 AM

Are there any of you using the latest version of MicroCD to make CDs at 8x? Are you using IDE or SCSI drive with this? Which of the Yamaha drives are supported my the latest version of MicroCD?

Rob Haines
Old November 15th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Frequent Member

----I've been using 6X no problems with SCSI and the Yamaha. The approved list used to be posted on the website, and I remember it including the 8X Yamaha.
Old November 15th, 2000, 03:48 PM

I cannot find the list of supported drives. Where can it be found. I have a friend who upgraded MicroCD, purchased an 8X yamaha drive, and it is incompatable with MicroCD. It is my understanding that Yamaha makes at leaset 2 different models of 8X scsi CDR drives.
Old November 15th, 2000, 05:13 PM

MicroCD 2.3b allows recording at 8x. This version will allow you to use either IDE or SCSI.

When using an IDE drive, this must be the only CD-Recorder or CD-Rom drive in the computer. If you have multiple CD-Rom or CD-R drives in the computer, then you will need to use SCSI drives. When using SCSI drives, you can select between the SCSI ID's, to determine which drive will be used by MicroCD.
Old November 15th, 2000, 07:38 PM

Hi Bryan, where can I find the list of supported yamaha SCSI CDR drives for the latest version of MicroCD?
Old November 17th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Frequent Member

more on the 8X

---This reply disappeared twice last night:

Successfully got a friend's 8x IDE HP running yesterday with MicroCD...This was replacing the original MTU-installed SCSI 2x.

Apparent problem was MicroCD2.3b never actually having installed over the original version. Unzipping the file into the proper Medit directory fixed all...Many 8x audio CDs burned in MicroCD with no coasters.

Other issue was the unbiquitous "Auto Insert Notification" box being checked. This, I'm assuming, happened with the installation of CD Creator, which came with the drive.

After exiting MicroCD, we burned some data CDs with CD Creator...This, however, was not so happy at 8X, but worked fine at 4X.
Old November 17th, 2000, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Exclamation CDR list for MicroCD

I'm not sure this is fully updated, but it has always resided at: http://mtu.com/support/notes-microcd/mcd23.htm
Old November 28th, 2000, 12:56 AM

Re: Recording at 8x with MicroCD

Quote:
Originally posted by MTUSUPPORT
MicroCD 2.3b allows recording at 8x. This version will allow you to use either IDE or SCSI.

When using an IDE drive, this must be the only CD-Recorder or CD-Rom drive in the computer. If you have multiple CD-Rom or CD-R drives in the computer, then you will need to use SCSI drives. When using SCSI drives, you can select between the SCSI ID's, to determine which drive will be used by MicroCD.
Bryan Cox MTU
Given this post I find it tres bizarre that MTU no longer supports SCSI.

Out in my neck of the woods a 3940 Adaptec Ultra 160 with LVD, 68 pin ultra wide AND 50 pin SCSI, as used by the Yamaha's, all at the same time costs $365 and the new 15,000 RPM 18.3 G Seagate Cheetah costs $500 - I drooled over one today but they wouldn't sell it to me as damaged goods - I find it hard to beat for throughput for multitrack. ATA/100 30 G sells for $229 for a good brand but doesn't have the throughput.

I figure if SCSI is good enough for SUN web servers to take 28,000 page requests per SECOND, it's probably good enough for me.
Old November 28th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Bryan's post about MicroCD 2.3b being able to handle IDE and SCSI is an announcement that should please everyone. To imply that MTU has done something bizzare by doing this is rather incredible to me. Thus, I have posted two threads in the Microsound Digital Audio Workstation Forum (where these topics belong) against this post about SCSI drives. Please visit and read them:

http://mtu.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=89 explains why MTU no longer recommends or ships SCSI CD-Recorders or hard drives, and proves that 7,200rpm UDMA/100 IDE drives DO have the throughput for multi-track Microeditor workstations.

http://mtu.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=90 explains why MTU support is no longer free for non-MTU computers.

In answering Allan so others are not lead astray, what the heck does good enough for SUN web servers to take 28,000 page requests per SECOND have to do with performance of your Microeditor workstation? If you need the performance for some other product, and are willing to take all the risks of integration, and not call MTU expecting free support for your personal endeavor, then have at it.

In this type of computer upgrade, we will not provide free support other than determining if Krystal has failed. I expect that you will be pulling it in and out many times in trying to get a 15,000rpm Cheeta and SCSI card to go operational. If Krystal's gold edge fingers have been eroded, that is not covered under warranty.
Old November 28th, 2000, 12:40 PM

Ex post facto

[quote]Originally posted by admin
[b]Bryan's post about MicroCD 2.3b being able to handle IDE and SCSI is an announcement that should please everyone. To imply that MTU has done something bizzare by doing this is rather incredible to me. Thus, I have posted two threads in the Microsound Digital Audio Workstation Forum (where these topics belong) against this post about SCSI drives. Please visit and read them:

http://mtu.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=89 explains why MTU no longer recommends or ships SCSI CD-Recorders or hard drives, and proves that 7,200rpm UDMA/100 IDE drives DO have the throughput for multi-track Microeditor workstations.

http://mtu.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=90 explains why MTU support is no longer free for non-MTU computers.

In answering Allan ((Actually Allen, as Dave well knows)) so others are not lead astray, what the heck does good enough for SUN web servers to take 28,000 page requests per SECOND have to do with performance of your Microeditor workstation? [snip] {/QOUTE]

Easy. It is a simple comparison of throughput requirements. If 100 horsepower will make this widget go 90 then it will certainly cover my needs to go 35.

And, by the way, I'm no great fan of bleeding edge either, that is why I'd like to stick to my perfectly functioning 2940 Adaptec card and current drives - including the orginal 1 gig Barracuda bought from MTU!

And I have, except when Dave advised against it as it was cheaper for me to get it locally, have always bought my DAW upgrades from Dave. And yes it is I who does not want to throw $450 rack case away to get an ATX motherboard. My guess, based on some of the work I'm doing for computer companies here in Silly Clone Valley, is that the ATX has about a 2 year lifespan before being replaced again. I don't want to do a major upgrade now and then when Dave replaces Krystal down the road - as will happen - do it all over again because it has all changed yet again.

By not being able to make a reasonable upgrade for for $5-700 - retain everything except the motherboard, CPU and memory of my current system - and get realtime Direct-X but instead I have to pay for an entire new computer with all new peripherals at about $2-2500 I am not encouraged to do any upgrade at all as the price will be less in 2 years and the Krystal issues will be gone.

The high cost, relatively, of adding 2 extra A/DIO of $1900 has kept me looking at alternatives and while I have not traveled the route others have, I have gotten multiple track audio files into my system. I use ADAT/DA88 or more recent versions of same depending on source material and then load the files to a hard drive in a studio I rent by the hour, lan to a second station, burn data CDs and bring them home for import into my system. So far I have not spent the $1900 in studio time to equal the cost of the extra A/DIO and I've gotten work from the studio - their overflow or work they didn't want - that more than equals what I've spent with them. Plus I get to chit chat with other pros and trade tips and war stories.

That all said, I think I agree with Dave about supporting only what they can support economically. Support is a BIG issue that will eat the heart right out of the meanest and toughest dragon and it can't be stopped. If MTU can no longer support SCSI. so be it.

But MTU knows, as all companies must learn eventually, that it is easier and cheaper, to keep the current customers than to go out in the marketplace and buy new ones, so I suggest that policies be set with that in mind.

Allen
Old January 14th, 2001, 10:18 PM

As per my first message. There seems to be two Yamaha scsi CDR drives one might try to use with MicroCD 2.3b. My buddy reports that the 8824 will NOT work, but the 8424 will work fine.