MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sound Choice now selling pre- ripped songs.

Just been nosing at the sound choice site. Seems they are now selling their tracks already ripped to disc for computer use. They are calling it their Gem series. This is the link if you want to check it out http://www.soundchoicestore.com/gem-...oke-pg-59.html

This is taken from their Site:
If you intend to format or media shift the song tracks from a CDG to a hard drive system (a lap top computer, for example), we will issue you a “Covenant Not to Sue” document for making the shift (and creating a new copy), which requires that you do not use the discs, but keep them in your possession and that you have a 1:1 relationship between the songs files on your computer and the songs on the original discs. (In other words, you can’t create a new copy and then sell the original discs and you can’t have any music on your computer for which you did not buy and still own an original disc). We also will try to arrange audits IN ADVANCE of any actions by Sound Choice for those that want to prove compliance and legitimacy without having to be prompted or investigated as the motivation.
That's one advantage of licensing the GEM Series, all of this is clearly spelled out in writing for the Licensee and they can show that they are legal and legitimate with Sound Choice to any venue which asks for proof of compliance with Sound Choice's policies.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; September 25th, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Sound Choice now selling pre- ripped songs.

I am not so sure this is as great as it sounds. If they were to get together with all of the producers and had a blanket license then that may be ok. But if tis takes hold and each profucer does there own you could end up paying additional license fees to each and everyone of them which could run into hundreds of dollars in recurring fees. Not to mention you have to buy a large set and cannot get individual disks.
I think it is SC trying to get back into the market and making sure they have a press down on you. Sounds to me like they could request an audit with you whenever they want. I think I will continue boycotting them and just let them die in this market or change their attitude.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Same here
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM
VIP

I think it's a great set. This is a precursor to things to come I feel. I don't see why anyone would want to boycott if you have the discs already.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

#1. You are going to get charged an additional up to $100 every 5 years.
#2 . They can call for an audit of your entire collection (not just their cds) any time they desire.
#3. None of it is going to be sold as individual CDs. Only in one big set so they can make a big profit. All of this material are songs they have already paid the royalties on and are reproducing again in MP3+G format instead of CDG.
They are broke and need some way to recoup their losses. This is the way I see it. IMHO they have only changed their methods but it is still a way for them to keep their claws in us.
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I think it's a great set. This is a precursor to things to come I feel. I don't see why anyone would want to boycott if you have the discs already.
Things to come? We're fed up to here with their "things to come". I wouldn't purchase a stick of gum from'em, and i to don't play their music. I had every original disc to match my hard drive. Long since taken them all off. I have lost a couple through the years. The way they have treated legal kj's...they can kiss the better part...well nevermind. And no way, has anyone proven they have done a thing for the betterment of karaoke, but lined their greedy pockets. They can keep it. But thanks roy for the news just the same. I don't even waste my time with their website. We had a very sucessful "Sound Choice Disc Burn" up here, had a great time.
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:38 PM
VIP

That's your perogative. I have all the discs as well, and they are what our singers want. I have no problems with a company trying to recoup money from pirates. And if a legit company with discs gets a letter of intent and has to show discs - then so be it.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old September 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM

It's old news, not going to rehash it over still again. It's not so much what they are doing, as how. They have stirred up more problems in the karaoke community, then they could ever hope to fix. I have seen clubs completly drop karaoke out of fear of lawsuits...nope...they are not the only product on the market. We are getting by ..thanks but no thanks. I also have included a page in my song books,letting it be known, that as of the first of the year, i will even discontinue playing customers sound choice disc, so they better start looking for an alternative manu, or pick a different song. Sound choice is history...lets drop it.
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
VIP

It will be interesting for kj's that pull discs out of fear when Stellar, Chartbuster and Zoom follow suit (pun intended). Again, i'm not going to worry, i've already talked with people that have been through the audit without a hitch, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. But no there is no need to argue the point anymore, those who don't agree will quit buying/using them, those who do will continue (I know one company around here that actually lost customers because he pulled his SC discs) - I personally completely back their stance and will continue as long as get new music. Right now I own maybe 80% of their library so there really is nothing more I need to buy at this time, but when and if the time comes they get their download site going - which is rumored to happen by the end of this year, I will get the songs I need from them first choice.

Back to the OP, this new GEM series is intended for kj's that want a library for their computer legally without having to resort to purchasing an illegal drive of the internet and then paying higher fees if caught. This set is not designed for the already established legal kj that already has all the SC discs to begin with. Just phase one in their move to the digital age for kj's.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old September 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM

You can sit there and try as hard as you want to cast sound choice in a favorable light, and as the victim here. But they have ruined their own reputation with the karaoke community, by their own doings. And further threatning the karaoke community just proves my point. The majority of us say, no thanks...we're get by...keep'em ick....
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Ok the information is there and the pros and cons so I am closing this before it gets ugly.
Closed Thread