MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 1st, 2008, 03:58 AM

How Much Faith Do You Have In Your System

I've been gone a while and when I got back I reread a thread on external drives and I started thinking about how much faith we have that everything in our various systems is gonna operate correctly the next time we power up for a show. I was wondering what others do to prevent failures as well as backup plans in the event that a failure should happen.

With the economy and this business being what it is, there are some of us that can't afford a failure of any type or it could mean the end of our careers in this business. To quote Don Henley, "The Wolf Is Always At The Door". Meaning if we can't perform and there is a lowballer in the area we could easily lose business in a single night from one failure. And I think the old adage, "Do Something Good And No One Is Watching, But Make A Mistake......"you get the idea. Bad news travels fast.

This is mostly directed at those of us that are primarily mobile and have to tear down and set up for nearly every show. But who knows this is an open forum, maybe some of the house guys can drop a few that even we don't think of.

Please understand I am not trying to say anything bad about anyone or how they run their own business. Just trying to help us all.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:09 AM

So here's my plan

Here's how I do things. I'm gonna set this up as a list so it's easier to understand and explain.

1. Mount everything in some form of case (shock mount are best if you can afford cost and added weight) - Protection from the elements and less component movement.

2. Know how everything is set up - I build my systems like most of us do. I know where each and every cable goes to and from as well as its purpose. Comes in handy when something isn't working and you have to quickly troubleshoot.

3. Backups to backups - There are many phases to this, at least for me. Backup cables (at least 2 mic cables, 2 unbalalnced patch cables, 2 balanced patch cables, 2 joiners for each type, various firewire and USB cables and ***AMP FUSES*** (it happened to me and could to you) splitters, adapters, gender changers). Backup hard drives, especially if you're using externals always keep a spare where you can get it in a hurry. It's scary how many times over the years these items have bailed me out.

4. Three cables to do the job of one - Logic and Murphy's law go hand-in-hand for this one. How many times do you plug and unplug from a mixer or a USB port or an amp in the course of a month? I would guess an average would be about a dozen or more for each. Now here's logic behind this. What is cheaper to replace or repair a USB port on a computer or a USB patch cable, an XLR or TRS connection on a mixer or a short piece of cable? The point here is that the more you use it the shorter its gonna live. So for the items that must be connected and disconnected for every show I put in permanent cables at each end and use a patch in between. This way if any piece of cable fails I already have backups and I'm only out a few bucks to replace a piece of cable and there is little to no wear on the expensive components.

5. Know how to solder - This is not a mandatory item but it is way cheaper for me to buy cable (balanced, unbalanced, and heavy shielded triple electrical) in bulk and just solder on any type of connector I might have a need for. Plus I can create custom length and lighter weight cabling this way (saves the back with every ounce and it doesn't look like Medusa lives in the case).

6. No liquids near the gear - This is a personal and professional choice for me. You can take it as you like. I lost most of a system once from a guy who thought a microphone needed a beer.

7. Be creative - I turned an SKB keyboard case and stand into a mobile DJ system. Drilled for connectors and built it from components to meet my individual needs. You know where when and how you operate. create things to fit your needs.

8. Keep a hail mary - I have been very lucky over the years that the major failures have been few and far between with my systems. I learned from the first time that dead air is not a good thing ever for me. I have a small 1GB MP3 player for each system and cables to connect them (directly to the amp if necessary). This has bailed me out on at least one occasion and I'm sure might again.

9. Tools, Tools, Tools - Did I mention tools? If you use it to put it together then there's a good chance you will need it to bail your butt out. Never count on a bar or restaurant or where-ever you might be to have anything tool related.

10. Spare batteries - For those of us that use wireless mics. I really shouldn't have to say this one. Spare set ready for every battery powered item you have. I prefer rechargeables. My Shure's use AA and I change and recharge after every other show, even if the mic didn't get used.

11. Cloned C Drives - Most of us have backups for our karaoke and DJ files but those really aren't getting beat up as bad as the drive that is actually running your computer. I carry one for each of my systems.

12. Power Conditioners - Not surge preotectors but power conditioners. Waay better for your equipment and some even come with cool lights and displays. Battery backups, though heavy are good for this too.

13. Finally - The absolute, gotta make a show happen or gonna fall into a pit and be eaten by a Rancor. A small collection of your most used discs (I use copies of my originals so they stay in good shape) and a cheapo CD+G player. This saved my bacon once and might again in the future.

These are just my thoughts and not a roadmap or set of requirements by any means. Nor is this intended to offend anyone. This is how I stay in business where others have failed. I was never a Boy Scout and I don't think I'm a schizophrenic or anything.

Anyone else got anything they use for stability and redundency that they're willing to share? Feel free to ask questions or comment about what and why I do what I do.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:55 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post
I've been gone a while and when I got back I reread a thread on external drives and I started thinking about how much faith we have that everything in our various systems is gonna operate correctly the next time we power up for a show. I was wondering what others do to prevent failures as well as backup plans in the event that a failure should happen.

With the economy and this business being what it is, there are some of us that can't afford a failure of any type or it could mean the end of our careers in this business. To quote Don Henley, "The Wolf Is Always At The Door". Meaning if we can't perform and there is a lowballer in the area we could easily lose business in a single night from one failure. And I think the old adage, "Do Something Good And No One Is Watching, But Make A Mistake......"you get the idea. Bad news travels fast.

This is mostly directed at those of us that are primarily mobile and have to tear down and set up for nearly every show. But who knows this is an open forum, maybe some of the house guys can drop a few that even we don't think of.

Please understand I am not trying to say anything bad about anyone or how they run their own business. Just trying to help us all.
Redundantcy Redundantcy Redundantcy. Back-ups for everything and back-ups for the back-ups when practical.

I have a back-up computer that is on and running all night I can switch to with the press of a button. I also have a laptop for the singers to use that I can press into service if the back-up were to have problems or if the monitor should fail.

My Bose PAS speakers are designed to have up to four things plugged in to them so if the mixer should fail I can bypas it.

I have tubs full of extra cables and adaptors I keep in my van. Whenever I need a new cable or some kind of adaptor I usually by an extra 1 or 2 of them.

If my van goes down, I have sources I can borrow from or if worse comes to worse, U-haul is just a couple miles down the road (only 2 days a week is my van an absolute necessity - other days I can use my wifes car). I also keep my AAA paid up.

I never ever upgrade my show computer until the back-ups are upgraded first and confirmed there are no problems, and always set a restore point before doing any upgrades to or installing any program.

Karaoke is my "day job" and only source of income, so to not be prepared for emergencies with back-ups and a plan of attack, is just plain dumb. Just my personal opinion of course.

Sam
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:27 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
If my van goes down, I have sources I can borrow from or if worse comes to worse, U-haul is just a couple miles down the road (only 2 days a week is my van an absolute necessity - other days I can use my wifes car). I also keep my AAA paid up.
Sam
How about a story where triple A saved my Butt. Three years ago I was starting at this new bar in town. He owned another bar 60 miles away and needed a quick backup. He literally begged me to fill in. I remember ny wife sayiing, "Go ahead, this could make a big difference helping this guy out." I drove down on a school night (I teach H.S. in the morning), with two hours to get there (1 hr drive and 1 hr setup at a new place I figured). I drove in and parked about 100 yards from the door on Main Street (only parking place). Then I went back after setting up, now it's about 45 min till showtime, to move the truck closer to the door where a parking spot was now available. Truck wouldn't start, zilcho! Sheesh, did I become really nervous at first. I did not panic, called AAA but couldn't remember if I had payed my most recent annual dues, they said I had, I said "YESSS!" They were down there in 20 min. and had my truck at a reputable garage where it stayed that night. Fuel pump went (expensive). I sort of used that event as a joke or two during the show, ad-libbed a bit with it here and there and kept my sense of humor about it. I called my wife where she works (a factory 80 miles away during the night shift, she left her work about 4 hours early to come down and pick me up with the car. All was fine. The place was packed. Many ppl stated they liked my show and too bad I couldn't replace the regular guy, but I didn't take that any further. The place has since been closed and sold and that bar owner still operates the bar in my hometown.

Since then, I still work for the owner during the Holidays and vacations and during the summer, and when I ended last summer, he grabbed the mic and made a big announcement how I saved HIS butt many times (particularly that night where he made millions (thousands)). He stated loud and clear that any time I want to work for him to come back any time. I think three other bar owners were in the club that night too. They were listening. Since then the business has really taken off.

Old December 1st, 2008, 08:40 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
How about a story where triple A saved my Butt. Three years ago I was starting at this new bar in town. He owned another bar 60 miles away and needed a quick backup. He literally begged me to fill in. I remember ny wife sayiing, "Go ahead, this could make a big difference helping this guy out." I drove down on a school night (I teach H.S. in the morning), with two hours to get there (1 hr drive and 1 hr setup at a new place I figured). I drove in and parked about 100 yards from the door on Main Street (only parking place). Then I went back after setting up, now it's about 45 min till showtime, to move the truck closer to the door where a parking spot was now available. Truck wouldn't start, zilcho! Sheesh, did I become really nervous at first. I did not panic, called AAA but couldn't remember if I had payed my most recent annual dues, they said I had, I said "YESSS!" They were down there in 20 min. and had my truck at a reputable garage where it stayed that night. Fuel pump went (expensive). I sort of used that event as a joke or two during the show, ad-libbed a bit with it here and there and kept my sense of humor about it. I called my wife where she works (a factory 80 miles away during the night shift, she left her work about 4 hours early to come down and pick me up with the car. All was fine. The place was packed. Many ppl stated they liked my show and too bad I couldn't replace the regular guy, but I didn't take that any further. The place has since been closed and sold and that bar owner still operates the bar in my hometown.

Since then, I still work for the owner during the Holidays and vacations and during the summer, and when I ended last summer, he grabbed the mic and made a big announcement how I saved HIS butt many times (particularly that night where he made millions (thousands)). He stated loud and clear that any time I want to work for him to come back any time. I think three other bar owners were in the club that night too. They were listening. Since then the business has really taken off.
AAA saved me 3 times in the last ten years although not quite as drasticly.
1 time I stopped for gas at 2am and couldn't get the van to restart. I thought it was the starter but a jump from AAA showed it was my battery.

Another time leaving one gig, I thought the starter died because jumping it didn't fix the problem. I had AAA tow it to a repair shop by my home and slept in the van, it was 10 or 15 Deg F that night (Paranoid about leaving my van loaded with equip unattended.) .

Another time I had just picked my son up from school when the ignition module went out and had to go setup and play in just a few hours. While I waited for AAA I borrowed a catering van from a restaurant I used to work at transferred everything over to it. Fortunately the repair shop was able to jump right on it the next day.

AAA has saved my bacon several times in other vehicles as well. In my younger days I would have considered AAA a luxery but the older I get the more I see it as a lifesaver.

Sam
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
Honor Roll

Not just AAA, but in my wilder youth I used to always have some sort of tow package. If I had too many at the bar, I would pull the coil wire and call the tow club. They would tow me, and my drunk butt home. Cheaper than a cab AND I would have my car in the driveway for work the next day. They only let you do this 3-4 times before they cancel you, but there are lots of fish in the sea

And to stay on topic:

I have always had at least 2 of everything to run my shows. I also have an MP3 player handy for fill music if need be. It literally takes me only one song to change out my computer. I have had to do this in the past and am sure I will again. Since I own the place, I also have a battery powered boom box and candles that I can use for fill music in a power outage. I can run home, get my generator, hook up lights, and power my karaoke system in 30 minutes. I know that is the time frame because my emergency lighting lasts 30 minutes.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
4. Three cables to do the job of one - Logic and Murphy's law go hand-in-hand for this one. How many times do you plug and unplug from a mixer or a USB port or an amp in the course of a month? I would guess an average would be about a dozen or more for each. Now here's logic behind this. What is cheaper to replace or repair a USB port on a computer or a USB patch cable, an XLR or TRS connection on a mixer or a short piece of cable? The point here is that the more you use it the shorter its gonna live. So for the items that must be connected and disconnected for every show I put in permanent cables at each end and use a patch in between. This way if any piece of cable fails I already have backups and I'm only out a few bucks to replace a piece of cable and there is little to no wear on the expensive components.
Nice, can I keep this one?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:25 AM
VIP

I have all discs & players at my shows so if any computer related issues come up I can fall back in a split second while I get my computer rebooted or backup hooked up. Never any down time - even while rebooting. A song may drop, but that's it! And yes it's saved my butt several times even if it was for only a few minutes!

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM

i always bring my back-up laptop to my show, i also have 2 of everything, i never unplugged anything connected to my laptops ( ext. hhd, mouse ), i have a custom built roadcase for my show and back-up laptops, and every usb cables are routed a certain way, all the power cords are plugged in a power conditioner in a certain way too, and my board is also in a case with my wireless mics receiver, the only thing i unplugged from the board are the speaker cables, takes me about 15 min.to unload,i unload all my gears in just 1 trip &15min. to set-up..
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:08 AM

Its nice to see there's so much interest in this. Even with it having only been a couple of days.

AAA has helped me a few times over the years. No stories nearly as good as yours but they've definitely been there for me.

I only carry the baby MP3 player and its cable in with me. Most of the other items stay in the truck. I figure I'd lose roughly 3 minutes of my night to go get the backup karaoke discs or drives and shutdown pull and restart or plug in (depending on situation) and DJ music is playing the whole time (most people dont even realize I've done anything). Only takes about 30 seconds to plug in and start a song and its usually easy to tell when a computer is screwing up.

I think I maybe should have put a cable tester in here too for those of us that repair/make our own cables. Not really something I need to take with me but that 20 bucks saves me tons on buying new cables and banging my head on a desk trying to figure out what's wrong.

Anyone else. Let your shame-filled, embarrassing, children disown you failures help the rest of us. Or at least give us a good laugh.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
Nice, can I keep this one?
Of course. This is for anyone to use and I hope it helps.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i always bring my back-up laptop to my show, i also have 2 of everything, i never unplugged anything connected to my laptops ( ext. hhd, mouse ), i have a custom built roadcase for my show and back-up laptops, and every usb cables are routed a certain way, all the power cords are plugged in a power conditioner in a certain way too, and my board is also in a case with my wireless mics receiver, the only thing i unplugged from the board are the speaker cables, takes me about 15 min.to unload,i unload all my gears in just 1 trip &15min. to set-up..

Sounds like a well engineered set-up and I send you my compliments on it.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post

I never ever upgrade my show computer until the back-ups are upgraded first and confirmed there are no problems, and always set a restore point before doing any upgrades to or installing any program.

Sam
Excellent idea. I usually test upgrades on my office machine (which isn't as strong as the new one in my system but does the job well). Its also where I convert all the new DJ and karaoke songs and test other software ideas to see what works and what doesn't.

I figure the trick is best to make sure everything is virus checked and the systems are running similar hardware and operating systems. After ripping is done the new files are kept in there as a hail mary and then moved to the backup externals then the systems (virus checking at each step just to be sure).

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a well engineered set-up and I send you my compliments on it.

thank you, im always trying to find ways on how to make things easier, i've been into many karaoke bars here is in my area and most of the kj's out here takes forever to set up and only a few of them starts on time, and some of them have lousy gears , i won't get caught dead with it..but anyway thank you.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM

i have been advising people at the forum not to upgrade the show and the back-up laptop at the same time,and not to upgrade a day before a show., since a lot of them still do and sometimes they ended up losing or cancelling a show caused of the upgraded hoster didnt work right, i usually wait a week ,and do all my updates first then do the upgrade and i'll do a mock up show ..this way i could get myself familiar to the new version..and thank God i never had a problem running hoster everytime i do an upgrade..
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Frequent Member

I use a small formfactor Hp dc5750 which i mount in my roadcase, with everything built into case.
and i carry a laptop for backup, never had a problem. Bob