MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old July 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM

What If?

What if something happens at your show and the place has to close early?

Do you give discount?
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

No I don't. They contracted for a show and it isn't my fault that they had to close. I have had this happen at least once and they didn't even ask about a discount price for it.
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM
VIP

I have had this happen a few times due to power outages, but the club always paid for the night anyway - they wouldn't actually close though, run off the generator to run the tills, soda fountains & ice maker, back up lights & candles handled lighting.
Never actually have had the show shut down early otherwise.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:26 AM

While I agree that you should still be paid by the club owner in this case, I am on the fence with regards to weddings, parties and such. In my contracts, I ask for a non-refundable deposit in case THEY should cancel. However, an act of God argument could apply here. I thing I would agree to keeping the deposit and forgoing the rest of the money, in the event that the whole affair was canceled or had to shut down early. And.....if they asked for some sort of ....offset. They may not even ask. I know I do play over and extra sometimes for the club owners, so discounting my pay is not an issue. Daryl.
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Honor Roll

I know it's not a direct answer to the question at hand, but this winter we had some HEAVY ice storms here in the Midwest. We were out of power for a week. Luckily, I had a 5k generator at my house. I ran the karaoke setup, 1 beer cooler, the fan on the gas heater, and one drop light for each bathroom. I used my stage lighting to light the bar and cooked soup and chili in a crock pot. The whole neighborhood was there from open to close every night. My family was very understanding about daddy taking the generator to the bar and bringing it home at night to warm up the house. I will tell you this though, I made more lifelong customers in that one week than in the 10 years I have been the owner.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
I know it's not a direct answer to the question at hand, but this winter we had some HEAVY ice storms here in the Midwest. We were out of power for a week. Luckily, I had a 5k generator at my house. I ran the karaoke setup, 1 beer cooler, the fan on the gas heater, and one drop light for each bathroom. I used my stage lighting to light the bar and cooked soup and chili in a crock pot. The whole neighborhood was there from open to close every night. My family was very understanding about daddy taking the generator to the bar and bringing it home at night to warm up the house. I will tell you this though, I made more lifelong customers in that one week than in the 10 years I have been the owner.
A few years ago.
I had to do a show during a snowstorm, that knocked out power and so forth. Amazingly we still had people show up, and my show went on and I got paid. In Virginia, people don't usually venture out in the snow even if its a dusting.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
VIP

Quote:
If not for karaoke I would rarely go to a bar but this actually sounds kind of inviting.

Sam
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
We did the same thing after hurricane Rita blew through here. The power was out for three weeks that time. Fortunately the club had a backup generator. It wasn't real pleasant as the AC wasn't hooked up to it, but it took everyones minds off their troubles for a little while each night. The club also served free food every day to help get everyone by. We made a lot of friends during that time.
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
We did the same thing after hurricane Rita blew through here. The power was out for three weeks that time. Fortunately the club had a backup generator. It wasn't real pleasant as the AC wasn't hooked up to it, but it took everyones minds off their troubles for a little while each night. The club also served free food every day to help get everyone by. We made a lot of friends during that time.
After the first few days of me providing the free food, others started bringing in covered dishes to add to the mix. It was quite nice to see a neighborhood act like they used to in "my day". Some of these people lived right next door to each other and had never met. It is amazing how adversity can bring people together. Next week though, they will still flip you off in traffic.
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:01 AM

If it's a club that works me weekly (which is all of the clubs I work with right now ) I'll give them a free night ONE TIME if it's needed. This has only come up once for me. The income I make in their clubs pays my bills plus I can deduct the cost of the night from my taxes as a promotion, like a charity gig.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200