MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old February 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddybrubeck View Post
Just received a brand new Plextor 760a as stated in my last entry, I updated the firmware from the Plextor site to v1.06 and then started Microstudio Demo (which is on my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop), Microstudio Demo detected the 760 as karaoke compatible, I uploaded a Sunfly disc to check it out, the result was exactly the same as my first entry above and Bernie's starting entry at the begining of this thread.

I then hooked the 760 to my desktop and started Microstudio v2.605, that did not even detect the 760 as karaoke compatible, anybody any idea what's going on here please?
For one Microstudio version V2.605 was before the 760 came out, so no it doesn't support it.

MTU previously used an outside vendor's coding to configure and work with CD drives, which was drive specific meaning there had to be coding for each model. The vendor was very slow at updating the code and making corrections.
As has been noted Hoster 3.314 does work with many more drives. The reason is MTU dumped the vendor's code and wrote their own to work with all drives that support MMC input/output (newer drives) and are capable of reading CD+G (not all drives will do that).
Microstudio has not been upgraded yet to the new drive code. This is why some drives will work with Hoster and not with Microstudio. I have a Plextor 760 but it is on my show computer which doesn't have Microstudio on it so I am not sure why it isn't working. Maybe some of the other guys who have one can check on that.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks for your input once again DDouglas, very informative and precise.

I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed with the fact that the Plextor 760 doesn't work with Microstudio, I only chose the 760 as it is in the Microstudio list of drives that will work, it now very frustrating to find that I appear to have wasted £75 ($170) as it will not work with Microstudio, or at least the versions of Microstudio I have, and I cannot afford to throw that quantity of money away, nor can most people I would suspect.

MTU will not ship a certfied drive to the UK or to the rest of the world so we have no option except to buy one ourselves using the MTU guide as our reference, and that guide looks like it is incorrect. Can anyone please tell me a current and available drive that will work with Microstudio Demo and eventually the full version.

I have a Plextor PX-W1610a on my desktop, I was hoping to try that drive on Microstudio Demo but in order to download Microstudio Demo I have to delete the earlier version of Microstudio (2.605) that's on my desktop, and which works perfectly, I am very loath to delete a fully functional and fully paid for version for a demo version that may or may not work with my PX-W1610a.

I'm not a happy bunny at the moment.

Last edited by daddybrubeck; February 7th, 2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:07 AM

I think what Ddouglass was stating is that if you update your microstudio version, it will work with the plex760 drive.

The fact is the older version that you are using was created before the drive was even thought of. therefore it doesnt work with it.

I have a plex 760, and the new microstudio, and it works great.
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduns View Post
I think what Ddouglass was stating is that if you update your microstation, it will work with the plex760 drive.

The fact is the older version that you are using was created before the drive was even thought of. therefore it doesnt work with it.

I have a plex 760, and the new microstudio, and it works great.
He has the Demo version 3.004 on a laptop with 760 on a usb connection. This is "importing" 0 byte length files with no error message. Have you tried the Demo with the 760?
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Hi gduns & thanks for your reply.

I fully understand that my earlier version of Microstudio will not work with the 760.

It's interesting to note that your 760 works with the new Microstudio, the fact is however that my 760 won't, and whilst I haven't got the full version I assume that the 760 should work with the Demo version should it not?

As stated at the begining of this thread by Bernie, when a track is read by Microstudio, (on both the Hitachi drive fitted to my laptop as well as the new Plextor 760) it looks for all the world as if the track is being recorded, however when you go to the folder where the track is stored there is 0 byte's on all of the tracks.

Now the fact that this happening with 2 different (and supposedly) compatible drives, coupled with the fact that your Plex 760 works with Micrstudio hints to me that there may be something different about the Microstudio I have got and the one that you have got maybe?
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM

If you are using your internal drive with a program like roxio to have a cd-rw to keep backups of your inportant documents on.

You will have to remove the cdrw disk, and replace it with a karaoke disk, and let it read the drive, then it will see the plextor.

I was having this problem Myself.
------------------------------------------------------------------

but this may not be your problem.......

Last edited by gduns - with the Lord; February 7th, 2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM

gduns. I certainly do not have Roxio, I do have Winamp and it's associated plug-ins, these are used in conjunction with a bit of software called Digital Entertainer Pro, this is a karaoke track player that plays karaoke tracks stored on a hard drive, however neither the hard drive, the player, or Winamp are running.
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddybrubeck View Post
As stated at the begining of this thread by Bernie, when a track is read by Microstudio, (on both the Hitachi drive fitted to my laptop as well as the new Plextor 760) it looks for all the world as if the track is being recorded, however when you go to the folder where the track is stored there is 0 byte's on all of the tracks.
daddybrubeck and Bernie have either of you tried to play those "0 byte" files?
The Microstudio Demo version is limited to roughly 90 seconds. As stated below:
1. Duplicate Disc Tab does not work.
2. Write Disc either will not work, or only writes 90 seconds for each track.
3. Imports first 90 seconds of each track, for 20 (or 50?) tracks.
4. Plays first 90 seconds of each track.
If you look at the size of the files it probably says 0 kb. Right click on one and go to properties and that will tell you the actual byte size.

But try playing the file and see if it doesn't play roughly 90 seconds.
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Ok,
I just found this out, when you get a 0 byte file, it is because you are missing Windows Updates.

You MUST have all of the Updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, click on Custom. Then select all of the Optional Updates. If you have alot, you will have to do this once, then reboot, then go through the process until there are 0 updates showing.

If you open the Default drives dialog, you should see an @ in front of the drives, instead of a drive letter this is what causes this.

THIS IS THE ONLY FIX, get the Windows Updates.
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUSUPPORT View Post
Ok,
I just found this out, when you get a 0 byte file, it is because you are missing Windows Updates.

You MUST have all of the Updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, click on Custom. Then select all of the Optional Updates. If you have alot, you will have to do this once, then reboot, then go through the process until there are 0 updates showing.

If you open the Default drives dialog, you should see an @ in front of the drives, instead of a drive letter this is what causes this.

THIS IS THE ONLY FIX, get the Windows Updates.
Bryan can this be added into the knowledgebase?
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:56 AM

MTU Support. You've cracked it, it works.

I went to the Microsoft Download Page and chose the Custom option, it done a scan on my machine and it came up with all sorts of downloads available to downlaod on both hardware and software, I picked the software one first which was for Wndows XP and it downloaded 12 bits for XP. I then had to restart the computer which I did, this took me back to my desktop when it restarted but as I had more stuff to download I went back to the download page again and chose the custom option once more, this time it came up with another 12 software downloads and the one hardware option from the first time, I downloaded the 12 software downloads, no restart needed this time, I then downloaded the hardware option, which was something to do with a Samsung mouse but it went in anyway.

I then connected thePlextor 760, I deleted the previous files that were in the Microstudio song folder, I reduced the read speed to 6 in Microstudio and uploaded a Sunfly disc and hey presto it played.

I have to go and do some work now but I'll b e back later today with more news but at the moment it all seems ok.

Thank you for your invaluable help.
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Dale,
I will be adding it to the KB in a few minutes.

I just figured this problem out on a customers computer here 2 days ago, this is why I knew the answer, it took about 3 hours to figure it all out.
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:27 AM

This is now in the KB under Hoster.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Bryan,

You previous message says the requirement to download and install all updates has been added to the Knowledge Base under Hoster. Since this thread is not about Hoster but the Microstudio demo I need to make sure we're all on the same page. At this point I'm a little confused.

I never had a problem with the Hoster demo (it correctly displays the drive letter). The problems cited with playing a karaoke disc and generating 0 byte imports is with the Microstudio demo. It's that program that fails to identify the drives, erroneously placing the "@" character where the drive letter should be.

Every single Windows update has been installed on this laptop's XP Pro system. Clicking on the Custom Tab shows absolutely nothing left to install, and there are no hidden updates that have been bypassed.

I then deleted and did a fresh install of the Microstudio demo. The original cited problems still exit, including the "@" sign in place of the drive letters. What am I missing?
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Bernie. I reduced the read speed to 6.
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM

daddybrubeck,

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully you won't mind a few clarifications. First, when you say it now works, you are referring to the current demo version of Microstudio, not the earlier registered version you mentioned elsewhere, correct?

If it is the demo version that now works for you, what do you see when you click on Tools / Default Drives? Is the drive letter displayed correctly or do you still see the "@" symbol?

And finally, which drive now works? The internal laptop drive you originally cited or the Plextor 760 you most recently mentioned?

Thanks
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Bernie, it's the new Microstudio I am now using, it was in demo mode when it 1st worked I've now brought the full version, hitting tools/default drive I see E: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-760 1.06 , it works with the the Plextor not tried it with the inbuilt one yet. Hope that helps.

Eddie.