MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 15th, 2002, 03:37 PM

Question Plextor PX-W2410TA Compatability

I am considering buying a Plextor PX-W2410TA PlexWriter 24/10/40A drive, with built-in BURN-Proof technology from a mail order supplier in the UK for only equiv:- $168. I know this won't be a certified drive, but the hassles of import duty and under guarantee repairs, plus the price difference will hopefully out way this. I have previously tried a Sony CRX1611 and a TDK 241040 B, both with no success. Should this be a compatible drive for use with MTU software for CD+G use?
Garry.
Old January 15th, 2002, 11:51 PM

MY ADVICE

THE THING I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU IS WHAT I WOULD DO. I SUPPOSE THAT EVERYONE THAT READ MY POST PROBABLY SAY I SOUND LIKE A STUCK RECORD, BUT MY THINKING IS THAT MTU TEST THESE DRIVES BEFORE SHIPPING TO YOU. IT MAY COST A LITTLE MORE BUT YOU CAN FIGURE ONE THING THAT IT WILL WORK. THIS HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE WITH THEM. I HAVE PURCHASED TWO BURNERS FROM MTU AND THEY BOTH WERE GREAT. TO ME THERE IS NOTHING MORE FRUSTRATING THEN TO BUY SOMETHING AND IT DOESN'T DO WHAT IT SUPPOSED TO. I WOULD NOT TELL YOU THIS IF I DIDN'T BELIEVE THIS WAY. THE DRIVE YOU WANT TO PURCHASE MIGHT WORK FOR YOU, BUT MIGHT NOT. I STILL WOULD RATHER MTU TEST A DRIVE FIRST BEFORE I PURCHASED ONE.
Old January 16th, 2002, 12:09 AM

Price too high

The main trouble is that I live in the UK and with VAT and import duyies I'm looking at a bear minimum of $260 (possibly more)which is way over price for a drive I can get for $160 in the UK.
Old January 16th, 2002, 10:22 AM

COMPATABLE MAYBE

AS FAR AS THE INFORMATION THAT I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING THE DRIVE SHOULD BE COMPATABLE WITH MTU PRODUCTS. BUT IT STILL COULD BE A LITTLE SHAKY. WILL THE COMPANY YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING THE DRIVE FROM LET YOU TEST IT BEFORE YOU BUY? OR WILL THEY GIVE YOU A REFUND IF YOU BUY IT AND IT DOESN'T WORK? I'M SURE YOU ARE A LITTLE ANGRY WITH THE OTHER DRIVES THAT YOU HAVE TRIED. IF YOU HAD PURCHASED THESE DRIVES AND THEY DIDN'T WORK, I BELIEVE YOU COULD HAVE PURCHASE ONE FROM MTU THAT THEY CERTIFIED AND YOUR PROBLEMS WOULD HAVE BEEN OVER AND PROBABLY LESS MONEY. I DON'T KNOW YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES AND HOW MUCH YOU HAVE SPENT ALREADY BUT I WOULDN'T WANT TO BUY DRIVE AFTER DRIVE AND FIND OUT I HAVE SPENT A LOT OF $'S AND STILL HAVE NOTHING. JUST MY THOUGHTS
GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
Old January 16th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Frequent Member

Gee aren't those the same specs as MTU's 24X writer? As far as I have been able to see Plextor actually will list CDG on their drive specs. Went to Plextor site, It says it will burn CD+G. So I would think it would work.
Old January 16th, 2002, 02:11 PM

PLEXTOR DRIVE

DANNY
I'M SURE THAT THE PLEXTOR WILL READ CDG'S , AND I'M JUST A LITTLE CAUTIOUS WHEN I BUY SOMETHING. I HAVE HAD LOTS OF BAD EXPERIENCES, AND DON'T WANT SOMEONE ELSE HAVE THEM. I'M JUST SAYING THAT MTU WILL CERTIFY THEM BEFORE THEY SHIP THEM. I CAN UNDERSTAND HIS CIRCUMSTANCES. I JUST FEEL HE NEEDS TO BE CAUTIOUS AND MAKE CERTAIN THAT IT WILL WORK. I BELIEVE BRYAN SAID IN ANOTHER POST THAT IT IS COMPATABLE AND WOULD PROBABLY WORK BUT THEY CAN'T CERTIFY IT IF NOT PURCHASED THROUGH MTU.
HAVE A GOOD ONE.
Old January 17th, 2002, 12:32 AM

Having been burned by Acer(no pun intended), and following that up with two Plextors purchased through MTU that both work great, I agree with taking the sure route. It can be more expensive in the long run to keep tossing out non-certified burners. Perhaps Dave would be willing to share with DJ(even by private e-mail) what the failure rate of Plextors that they test is. This might help DJ to make a more informed decision as to whether he should chance a non-MTU certified Plextor. After all, MTU would be picking up a software customer. Just my thinking.

Take Care,

George
Old January 18th, 2002, 05:32 PM

The Plextor 2410TA drive will work. This is the drive that we are now shipping. George is correct that we can only guarantee drives from MTU will copy CD+G. We can't be held responsible for drives from another Vendor. You the Plextor drive is a good gamble to go with. We suggest you get in writing that if it does not work you have the right to get a full refund, not just a swap for another drive or product.
Old January 18th, 2002, 05:56 PM

Thanks Brian, I'll order one straight away.
Old January 21st, 2002, 07:07 PM

Cool Plextor Drive On It's Way

Well guys, I've ordered the Plextor 24.10.40 drive from Simply Computers in the UK for only £117.49 free delivery, that's around $168.62, but would have been $297 with import duty and delivery charges from the US. Plus Simply will exchange the unit if it doesn't perform correctly. If it says it does CD+G in the specifications and it fails, it's faulty and in the UK anyway I can demand an exchange or even a full refund. Great huh? Sorry MTU guys!!! I'll be ordering Microstudio though.
I should be getting it Wednesday and once I've put it throgh it's paces, I'll let you all know how well it does.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 05:31 PM

Question It's Here

Hey Guys,
The 24x Plextor arrived today, plugged it in and both Microstudio and CDRWin recocnise it as a CD+G drive. Haven't tried to copy yet..............
Does anyone know if its OK to install all the PlexTools that come with the Plextor PX-W2410TA and still copy CD+G? I'm not even sure whats on the disk yet, only I didn't want to install it all and then find out it's changed my registry or something and it won't then do the job.

Cheers again, Garry.