MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 5th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Why have this Forum?

Over the years, we have head some incredible stories from both singers and host that will improve everyone's abilities.

This Forum is for those of you who wish to post your wisdom for the benefit of all of us.

If you disagree with someone stating their "wisdom", be very careful and only add constructive statements to their post.
Old March 5th, 2002, 02:11 PM

Singers and Hosts

Thoughts for the host:
1. You set the tone for show! Spend some time assessing the crowd before your first song. If your audience is 100 drunk bikers don't open with Barry Manilow.
2. Dead Time is Bad Time. Keep it moving.
3. Don't play favorites. Probably the number one cause of bad juju at a show is jumping the order.
4. A dirty disc can be a showstopper. Check each disc before you load it; clean it if necessary.
5. Do an adequate sound check, especially if you are adding effects (reverb).
6. If you broke a mike cord on Monday night, don't assume it healed itself by Tuesday night.
7. 90% of your singers will perform ballads. The other 10% of the performing will be done by the host. Get comfortable with faster material.
8. Let the audience know when "Last Call" for Karaoke slips occurs.

Thoughts for the singers:
1. You don't always need to sound like the original. Take a song and make it yours.
2. Double check your song index number before you give it to the host.
3. Don't twirl the microphone.
4. Keep your lips off the microphone; you don't know where it's been (i.e., look at everyone in the lineup previous to you!)
5. Leave your drinks and smokes at the table.
6. Although you might like "Free Bird" or American Pie" leave these epics for the slow nights.
7. Try some eye contact with the audience. If that scares you too much, just glance up towards the back of the room.
8. If you are new at Karaoke, consider a duet with the host.
9. If you use products such as MicroStudio to build your own discs, try the 3.5 inch CD-Roms. They work great, and they fit in your pocket!
Old March 5th, 2002, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up

Buddy, right-on for #3 under "Hosts". I've boycotted Karaoke shows where the host plays favorites and/or bumps people out of the rotation and in to the "black-hole". There is nothing worse that can ruin a fun evening than this practice - Shame on them!

For you Singers....if Karaoke is your hobby, think about investing in an inexpensive Karaoke cd-g player, a set of headphones and practice, practice, practice. There is nothing more satisfying than nailing a song in a live performance. And don't forget to compliment your fellow singers and try to keep your songs at 4 minutes or less.

Steve.

Admin note: Excellent points! Just wanted to point out that the reason we added the Play tab in Microstudio ($39.95) is so you can practice at home, then go and perform. Hosts first though we were after their shows, until they realized the clients now come in practiced, practiced, practiced up.

Last edited by srw2001; March 5th, 2002 at 04:28 PM.
Old March 5th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Frequent Member

I have been hositing shows since 1993 and attending other shows since 1989. I have a policy of being as fair as I can and taking songs as I get them but if I get a new singer and have already started the second rotation I will bump the new singer up to next. Otherwise I run the show in order of who put their songs in first. I keep the songs that are coming up with me so no one can insert a song into the rotation without me knowing about it. If they want to give me a song and I'm otherwise busy they can put it on their stack that I leave at the machine of other songs they have given me. Just because You gave me ten songs does not mean you'll get to sing them all. It all depends on how many singers I get. One question I have for any other Pro hosts out there- How do you deal with a guy that basically harrasses every singer that gets up to sing from boooing the singer, questioning their selection of songs to even questioning what sex they like to take to bed with them? I personally would like to get the guiy kicked out of the bar as this situation happened to me this past weekend and it almost ended with a fight between him and a regular.
Old March 5th, 2002, 09:42 PM

Thumbs up

danny_g

Your system is about as fair as it can get..great job. And if I were singing and got heckled with boo's, etc. I would not be a happy camper and would applaud any decision to remove disruptive and rude behaving people for the betterment of the majority that are out there to blow off some stress and have a good time!
Old March 6th, 2002, 06:59 AM

hecklers

I don't believe that hosts should be put in the position of dealing with the kind of *&$#$% the Danny refers to. This is an issue for house management. Management needs to understand that this heckler is driving off paying customers, and possibly, a fine host. Ask your manager to hold out both hands - put a nickel in one and a dollar in the other. Tell him that nickel represents the heckler. The dollar is you and your singers. Hopefully your economically savvy house manager can figure this one out.

By the way, one way I think that singers can help on this: a bit of bonding during the first few songs. Be attentive and applaude enthusiastically. Usually that can help wake up a lethargic crowd; they don't know why they are applauding, but they clap anyway. If you get the house on your side, the heckler becomes the outcast. Either he gets tired of the glares, or maybe this is the time a singer speaks to management.
Old March 6th, 2002, 09:40 AM

Exclamation Disruptive conduct

My wife and I own and operate a karaoke show in WEST VIRGINIA. Any of the clubs we work at will give the person one chance and if that does not work they are barred for 30 days. the owners here are very good about this type of support

CRYSTAL AND TERRY STALEY
Old March 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM

Reply to Danny G:
I have been hosting karaoke shows for the past 5 years and have been working full time at this for the last year. A fair rotation is very important,just as you said. My wife and I keep a board that we pin request slips to so that if a singer comes up and asks where they are in the rotation we can show them and tell them how many songs until they are up. One of the problems that we all have is dealing with drunks and hecklers or drunk hecklers. I don't ever get confrontational with either. I have found that I can usually reason with them if I don't get mad. I have gone out in the audience many times and sat with hecklers and calmly told them "Hey man, don't do that, you know you wouldn't like that done to you." Believe it or not, this usually works, especially if that person is singing that night. One thing I have resorted to if that person is not a singer is to call him up to sing. Again, this must be done with a smile on your face and in a good-natured manner. Such as"Hey, someone turned in a slip for old Joe. Come on up and show us how it's done Joe." Sometimes the person will come up and sing, which usually will make him part of the group. Most times though, he will leave or be quiet.
Another thing that works for me is when I first hear signs of heckling, I will get on the mic and say "Hey guys , be kind, it's your turn next. Didn't mean to write a book,but I know what a problem this can be. Thanks to admin. for adding this forum.I think it will be great to have other KJ's and singers to communicate with.
Old March 6th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Frequent Member

Thanks guys, I'm sure I can make use of all of your suggestions. And thank Admion for addin this to your forums.
Old March 6th, 2002, 01:09 PM

As a non-dj I'd still like to thank admin for this forum(to which I'll likely not have much reason to post to.) It never hurts to gain a perspective on the problems facing others. Will be a mostly silent participant.

Thanks again admin. It is interesting

George
Old March 6th, 2002, 11:23 PM

One song per rotation per person

Quote:
Originally posted by danny_g
I have a policy of being as fair as I can and taking songs as I get them but if I get a new singer and have already started the second rotation I will bump the new singer up to next. Otherwise I run the show in order of who put their songs in first. I keep the songs that are coming up with me so no one can insert a song into the rotation without me knowing about it.
I think you said that a rotation means that each person sings once per round. If a person has 200 slips turned in they can choose which slip to use in the next rotation. I think the host can keep everyone in rotation without requiring a new slip each time. Many hosts will automatically put you at the end of the rotation once they see you arrive. I think it's best to put new singers at the end of the rotation because the people know who they already follow in the rotation. For example, if you host a show that lasts 3 hours and have 4 hours of slips, you wouldn't put a new singer up next would you?
Old March 7th, 2002, 02:31 AM

Smile Singer Rotation

As stated a few times here, rotaton is very important. Every singer has to feel like they are treated well.

I've been doing shows for about 4 years now. I use a large white board. They are not expensive, so I leave them at my gigs. Each singer puts their name on the board, and the number of the song they want to sing. When they sing their song, I erase the number, but not the name. Every one can see at a glance where I am on the list, and know when their turn is... this leaves time for going outside for a smoke or what ever. I'm not suspect to playing favorites. I sing the first song at the top of the list as a marker. If someone doesn't get a new song number on the board by the time their next turn comes, I skip them... they wait till the next round. I've had many people tell me that they like this system.

I've tried a lot of systems, and this has been the best (for me) in keeping track of my singers... I also work alone, and without having to track individual pieces of paper, I have more time to work the audience.

Keep having fun singing,

Wayne Ray - Tunes for your times Karaoke
Old March 7th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Frequent Member

Re: One song per rotation per person

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

I think you said that a rotation means that each person sings once per round. If a person has 200 slips turned in they can choose which slip to use in the next rotation. I think the host can keep everyone in rotation without requiring a new slip each time. Many hosts will automatically put you at the end of the rotation once they see you arrive. I think it's best to put new singers at the end of the rotation because the people know who they already follow in the rotation. For example, if you host a show that lasts 3 hours and have 4 hours of slips, you wouldn't put a new singer up next would you?
I have been to shows where I came in about two hours into the show because a) I got out of work late or b) I didn't have my own set of wheels so I depended on a buddy of mine who always goes late. I know as a singer that I am not willing to wait a two hour rotation to sing so to be fair to those who may have legitimate excuses for being late handing in slips and to keep them coming back I give priority to new singers over others who have already sung at least two songs. And I know other KJ's in my area that does the same thing. I want to give everyone a chance to become a regular no matter when them enter the rotation. I don't start putting new singers up next until I have already started a new rotation. Until then I add their slips to the back of my rotation. The only place I have ever run into having a ratio of too many slips for too little time has been a non profit Private show I do every month for a local Social club. I barely have enough time to get everyone up once and have had to turn people away a number of times from that particular show. Other than that I have had a full 4 and a half hours to run shows and have never had less than 2 or three rotations. I belive it's pretty good as the places I have run shows at were not designed to hold a crowd big enough to carry the night and then some.

Last edited by danny_g; March 7th, 2002 at 08:27 PM.
Old March 9th, 2002, 10:29 AM

Re: Singer Rotation

[quote]Originally posted by Papa Ray
As stated a few times here, rotaton is very important. Every singer has to feel like they are treated well.

I like your white board system and plan to try it out. Thanks.
Old March 9th, 2002, 10:35 AM

Re: Re: One song per rotation per person

[quote]Originally posted by danny_g
[b]

I would agree with you to put a new singer up sooner if the rotation has completed at least one time as you said. This is the ususal situation that I have. When the rotation is not long, putting them at the end should be ok and will not disturb the previous order.

Thanks,
Steve
Old March 23rd, 2002, 06:51 PM
Frequent Member

have any of you ever have to take the mike away from a singer before? I had to do it for the first time last night. While performing a song "Stairway To Heaven" a singer decided to put the Mike down his pants. I decided to take the mike away and let him know he won't be singing at my show anymore. The Bartender decided that it also called for him to leave the premises as well. Glad I got a supportive staff behind the bar because when I asked whether or not I did the right thing they told me that they would have done the same.
Old March 24th, 2002, 05:07 AM

I've been at my bar long enough to have the same kind of support. The owner and the staff all know that everyone respects each other AND the equipment! When someone commits a "party foul", such as you've described, or any others we all know...like swinging the mic by the cord, we make public fun of them so as to humiliate them enough NOT to commit said foul again.

Luckily, everyone has learned VERY quickly.

Did you spray the mic globe with Lysol?
Old March 24th, 2002, 03:51 PM

Post danny g - taking a mic from customer

Yes, I have taken mics from customers 3 times in the past 2 years. I am by nature a very friendly person. I work hard at making all my customers welcome... but all know that I will not tolerate any abuse of my equipment. I have even 86'ed one singer. Taking the mic from the guy who put it down his pants was just cause in my opinion. I also don't tolerate pounding on my mics, or swinging them around. If you loose a ill mannered drunk as a customer, you've done the establishment and the rest of the customers a service.

Take care, Papa Ray
Old March 24th, 2002, 04:18 PM

Re: Re: Singer Rotation

Steve,

Have you tried the white board yet?
When you do, announce "How it works" to the group. If you see someone trying to put their name up twice, explain it to them. Once you, and your customers, get used to it, I think you'll like it. I copied the system from another KJ. When I was a singer, I liked his system best, and most of the customers seemed to like it. It also means you don't have bunches of slips of paper all over, and people don't keep asking when their turn is!

When I'm encouraging new singers, I will put their name up, and ask them for a song... I'll look it up and put the number up for them the until they feel more confident. (earns me tips too!)

Keep singing,
Papa Ray

Tunes For Your Times
Old March 24th, 2002, 08:12 PM

white board

Papa Ray,

I've done only two shows using the white board so far. I noticed that most people have not seen this done before. I think they would rather use slips because they don't have to go back and forth to the whiteboard to put a new number. So I tell them to bring the number the next time they're called up to the stage. When they get to the stage they can't remember it or bring it to me on a napkin. People are busy with their friends and having drinks and they don't want to get the exercise. If I were in the audience I would rather use slips too. So I'm considering using slips again or could put the name list up on the white board to show the rotation and provide slips as is normally done.

Last edited by SteveWalker; March 24th, 2002 at 08:17 PM.