MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Songverter Software > Songverter Help

Songverter Help Post Songverter questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old October 10th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Running Songverter AFTER importing ZIPs as KMH

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, you may move it if you wish.

I'd like to run Songverter now to DECOMPRESS and RECOMPRESS zip files that I've already imported into Hoster as KHM.

1) Will Songverter recompress the files with the names that are INSIDE the zip, or will it maintain the name of the original zip?

I.E.,
Original File: SFMW805-01 - ARTIST - TITLE.zip
Internal File: SFMW805-01.cdg
SFMW805-01.mp3

my perception is that Songverter will decompress the Original Zip, and Re-zip to a new (properly compressed) zip titled sfmw805-01.zip and I'll have to go back and re-label them all....

If that is the case, then I have my answer, if it isn't and it compresses to the original file name, then I have another question:

2) Will Hoster recognize the file if it is in the same location as the original, only decompressed and compressed into the correct compression?

In otherwords, if I substitute out the original file for another file of the same exact name (maybe of a different size), will the KMH information still work in Hoster? or do I have to delete the associated KHM files and reimport everything that has been run through Songverter?

For the Above, Hoster version 4.31 and Songverter is the current version as of Today, October 10, 2010.
Old October 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Re: Running Songverter AFTER importing ZIPs as KMH

I'm sorry, by trial I've answered my first question: The converted files will remain named as the original regardless of the file name INSIDE the zip...

Now for the Second questions, if anyone has the answer I'd appreciate it, but I will do a trial later today as I have the system that Hoster is on at the venue right now.
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgumshoe View Post

I'd like to run Songverter now to DECOMPRESS and RECOMPRESS zip files that I've already imported into Hoster as KHM.

1) Will Songverter recompress the files with the names that are INSIDE the zip, or will it maintain the name of the original zip?

I.E.,
SFMW805-01.mp3

my perception is that Songverter will decompress the Original Zip, and Re-zip to a new (properly compressed) zip titled sfmw805-01.zip and I'll have to go back and re-label them all....

If that is the case, then I have my answer, if it isn't and it compresses to the original file name, then I have another question:

2) Will Hoster recognize the file if it is in the same location as the original, only decompressed and compressed into the correct compression?

In otherwords, if I substitute out the original file for another file of the same exact name (maybe of a different size), will the KMH information still work in Hoster? or do I have to delete the associated KHM files and reimport everything that has been run through Songverter?

For the Above, Hoster version 4.31 and Songverter is the current version as of Today, October 10, 2010.
I am confused as to why you need to do this. What are you hoping to accomplish by doing this decompression/recompression?
What do you mean by a properly compressed file?

Actually your internal files should be named exactly as the zip file. In other words if the zip file has the DiskID-Track number - Artist - Title then the internal files should have exactly the same names with the .CDG and .MP3 extensions.

If the names are the same then yes they should play in Hoster without having to re-import.
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:52 PM
VIP

Quote:

I.E.,
SFMW805-01.mp3

I zip to zip all my zip files before I import into hoster all the time. I believe you can zip-to-zip them afterwards as well.

Old June 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM

The reason I am wanting to decompress and recompress is for my clients. I have been helping various establishments with their karaoke and I've been recommending Hoster.

With my library, this isn't necessary because I know the proper compression ratio to use so that my files don't get kicked back by the software and crash.

Overly compressed ZIP files have shown to crash Hoster and other software. My clients ZIPs are not under my control, so I don't know that they have properly zipped them up... when I run into a situation where Hoster is crashing and I can't find any other reason, I test the zips and have found that if they are overly compressed, then they get spat out.

Does HOSTER 5.1 resolve this problem? I'm about to work on a new clients karaoke system and have recommended Hoster, over all others, and again I worry that they zip files they have may have some overly compressed files and need modification.

Thanks.
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

I can tell you this, if you decompress your zip files which I would do in Explorer using the extract all command it would rename the files to the name inside the zip so they would need to be re imported to use in Hoster.
Now if you are using Songverter you wouldn't need to decompress them, you just load files in the left hand window, then select the conversion in the right hand window which would be zip again selecting your compression and it will re zip them and name the files inside the zip the same as the zip name there bye allowing them to play in Hoster without re-importing.

The only thing I would say is that if the original zip files were faulty or corrupt it probably wouldn't re zip them.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The reason I am wanting to decompress and recompress is for my clients. I have been helping various establishments with their karaoke and I've been recommending Hoster.

With my library, this isn't necessary because I know the proper compression ratio to use so that my files don't get kicked back by the software and crash.

Overly compressed ZIP files have shown to crash Hoster and other software. My clients ZIPs are not under my control, so I don't know that they have properly zipped them up... when I run into a situation where Hoster is crashing and I can't find any other reason, I test the zips and have found that if they are overly compressed, then they get spat out.

Does HOSTER 5.1 resolve this problem? I'm about to work on a new clients karaoke system and have recommended Hoster, over all others, and again I worry that they zip files they have may have some overly compressed files and need modification.
Thanks for recommending Hoster!

Hoster 5.01 has a demo you can download and try, but do it soon as we expect to release 5.02 next week with its new demo (nothing changed related to ZIPs).

It is my understanding that we solved the "Max" ZIP compression problem many releases back. Your complalint is the first I remember in years.

What Hoster version are you running that you KNOW doesn't handle Max compressed ZIP files?

BAD ZIP files won't play under any condition. We have 13 "error traps" in Hoster to catch known "bad" states within ZIPs so they aren't indexed in the Songs Database. We haven't had any ZIP files reported for years with a "bad" state Hoster doesn't catch.

Songverter will unzip Max compressed files and re-compress them with the normal "high" compression, making these ZIP files play correctly. Again, haven't heard of this problem for years.

If you find a "bad" ZIP file, please get contact MTUSUPPORT (use a Support Ticket is best) and get it to us with a clear statement of what you are seeing. If we can duplicate the problem, we'll solve it in Hoster 5.03.