MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 18th, 2003, 10:41 AM

New MTU Plextor Burner Not Reading or Writing

I received my new MTU Plextor PlexWriter 48/24/48u (USB) cdg certified burner yesterday. I plugged it in and Microstudio recognized the drive with no problem. It read the first disk perfectly. Then I started writing the files to cdr and received an error message. Now, it doesn't read nor write at all. The error message is as follows:

"Error: 'TEST UNIT READY' command failed on device 2:0:0
Unexpected ASPI error (04h00h00h)"

The Microstudio write window states that the "CD Burner is not ready"

I checked to make sure that the mtu aspi driver was chosen and also checked that the product version is 1.20.

Please help!!! Have no clue what to do. Need this to be up and running sometime today.

Dell Inspiron 600m Notebook
1.3 Ghz / 512mb ram / 400mhz front end bus
ATI Radeon 9000
Windows XP Home w/service pack 1
USB 2.0

Microstudio 2.506
Old September 18th, 2003, 03:36 PM

I have also tried to copy a regular audio cd with Roxio with the same burner and it does not read the tracks. I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is with the burner and not the software.

Please ... someone help soon !!!!!
Old September 18th, 2003, 03:54 PM

I take it from the fact this is a notebook it is a usb device. Check in the "hardware manager" and see if it is listed, or if it has a "!" showing a problem with a driver. Most plextors come with nero software. I don't recommend having this or cd creator installed on this machine....... but then again I am nobody. If you have these installed uninstall them then reboot, and try mediaplayer see if it will read a cd or burn a cd.
Old September 18th, 2003, 03:58 PM

When I use my usb plextor on my computers, it doesnt like to be attached at power on. you must power up then plug in the usb hot then turn on the plextor after a second or two it notifies you it is connected
Old September 18th, 2003, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the response. However, none of this worked. Media Player can't see that there's anything in the drive either, just like all the other programs. That's why I think it might be a problem with the drive and not the software. The drive is recognized by the computer and by all the software, however it doesn't detect there is a disc in the drive.

Would appreciate any help anyone can give me including MTU support. And, if it is a problem with the drive, how do I go about getting it replaced asap.
Old September 19th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Well, last night I hooked the burner to my other computer to see if it would work there. No luck. The same problem ... the burner won't read or write. Think the burner has failed.
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Since you purchased it there, and it is a warranty problem, Have you tried calling them. I understand the forum for software support, but for hardware, I think I would contact them directly.
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:37 AM

There has been an issue with Roxio CD Creator 5 Platinum that may or may not apply here, but worth a try.

Uninstall the software and re-install using CUSTOM install. Do not install the TAKE TWO portion.

This has caused burner problems in other systems, W2000 as I recall from other posts, and may be the culprit here, who knows?

Take care,

George
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:56 PM

gduns,
Yes, I have tried calling MTU but their offices are closed until Monday because of the hurricane. They are located in North Carolina.

George,
Thanks for the advise. I will try uninstalling cd creator, however as I stated in my earlier post today, I tried using the burner on my other computer and it doesn't have cd creator and still didn't work. The thing that confuses me about all of this is that when I first hooked up the burner I was able to read the first disk perfectly and it was only after I tried to burn it back to cdr that all of this happened and now the burner won't read or write.
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:15 PM

BjSwain,
We are up and running today. The storm didn't knock us out to bad. We lost power and Internet here yesterday but we are back running full power today.

Please give us a call, about this. It does sound like to me the drive is bad also.

Or you can give Plextor a call, then can get you to run some Self Diagnostic tests on the drive to verify if it is bad or not. Here is there number: 800-886-3935 Press 3 for Tech Support.
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Thanks Bryan,

I already did the self diagnostic test and it does look like there is a problem with the drive. So, I'll give you a call.
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Just for everyone's information, MTU replaced the Plextor drive that was giving me trouble and the new one is working perfectly. The problem was with the drive and not Microstudio or my computer. Thanks to Bryan and MTU for taking care of this so quickly. I appreciate it.

BJ