MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > Microsound Workstation Open Forum

Microsound Workstation Open Forum General postings about Microsound workstations.

Closed Thread

Old March 25th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Do I Need The Krystal Card?

Greetings, everyone:

I am VERY new to both computing and MTU. I THINK I would like to purchase the:

* MicroEditor 5.5n
* MicroCD 2.403n
* CD ROM Hard Copy
* DNoise V3.3
* CDR48XIDE
* MicroManESD

all for loading into my own case. My question is is the Krystal DSP card no longer needed to complete the system? What is its claim to fame? And, is the Pentium IV the ONLY processor usable?

As I am such a novice, please feel free to suggest how I might accomplish a complete, stable, worry-free system beyond my feeble efforts expressed herein.
Old March 25th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Krystal is required

Much of the Microeditor code is written in DSP Assembly Language to run on the Motorola 56001 DSP chip on the Krystal card. Thus, the card is required.

As to building your own computer, there are restrictions you need to be aware of.

MTUSUPPORT, please post here what parts we recommend to buy today if he wants to build his own.

Please note: MTU does offer a Microsound Workstation computer for sale. We solve any problems that might occur with integrating the various components. Sometimes the compoents work well together, sometimes they take many hours to diagnose why they are not working and make them work. We have experince in doing this, but it is futile to try to do this remotely. If you are not expert in assembling computer audio workstations, don't try to do it yourself. Buy our workstation. Our support is then free.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 04:15 PM

The motherboard that we use is the
Intel D845GEBV2L. This is the only motherboard that we know currently works, due to timing issues with other boards and the Motorola DSP chip.

I would not recommend trying to build this system yourself, and have it work, it is very complicated at times. The best thing for you to do is to let us build it up, it will be much less hassle and problematic.