MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old February 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

How to Move KMA Files to Another (External?) Drive

Follow these steps to MOVE KMA files from drive to another. Once they are duplicated, then delete them from the original location. If you are moving files to the same hard drive, you will have to move some at a time as KMA files are about 3MB-6MB in size and will use up your hard drive space very quickly with duplicate copies.

1. Click "My Computer" on your Windows Desktop and click the "Folders" button at the top near center.

2;. Find the KMA files wherever they are on your computer. The MTU default location is: C:/Program Files/Micro Technology Unlimited/Hoster/Songs

3. MOVE your KMA files to your external drive. To do this, click each file in the source folder, or click the first with the SHIFT key pressed and HELD DOWN, then click the last one in that folder and all files between these two will be selected. Then click (do NOT release the mouse button) within the group of selected files and drag (move the mouse with the button HELD DOWN) them to the external drive letter (E:\ or :F\ or whatever it is). When you are see the external drive letter highlight, press the SHIFT key to see the "+" disappear, then RELEASE the mouse button. The files will start moving from the source to the external drive.

4. Locate the external drive and view it to see the KMA files are on that drive. If not. You copied them somewhere else. Find them by clicking in the folders on the left side and viewing the file contents on the right side. If you messed up doing this, please find someone who knows basic Windows operations to help you.

5. Run Hoster, and click the Tools menu "Build Songs Database" command.

6. In the dialog that appears, in the list window (large white background in the middle of the dialog), click the C drive folder where they used to be and click the "Delete Folder" button.

7. Click the "Select Folder" button to see the "Choose Folder" dialog. Locate the external drive and folder you copied your KMA files to, and click the "Select" button.

8. The external drive folder should now appear in the list box.

9. Click the "Build Songs Database" button at the bottom. You will see a message box showing how many songs it has indexed, until all are done.

You are finished.
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM

Ok I found the c drive with the KMA files on it- I then selected all and copied, then I found my external HD (E) and pasted all the kma's in here- then went back to the c file in hoster and deleted all the contents- went into hoster and remerged the database from the (E) drive. My question is- how come when it reindexes these files it does so in the c drive again? I did notice that when I went into the reindex box, it showed the c file that hoster downloads to- do I need to delete everything in there and only leave the E drive to be seen?
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM

My other question is- If I have a show, I always need to re-index with the HD?
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherita View Post
Ok I found the c drive with the KMA files on it- I then selected all and copied, then I found my external HD (E) and pasted all the kma's in here- then went back to the c file in hoster and deleted all the contents- went into hoster and remerged the database from the (E) drive. My question is- how come when it reindexes these files it does so in the c drive again? I did notice that when I went into the reindex box, it showed the c file that hoster downloads to- do I need to delete everything in there and only leave the E drive to be seen?
Since you copied the KMA files and didn't MOVE them as Admin suggested, then the files are now in both locations. You need to delete them from the C: drive.
If the E: drive location is the only location you have your KMA files then yes delete everything except the E: drive location. You should also change the Import location so it goes to the E: drive as well.
You should not have to re-index everytime you have a show. as long as the external drive letter doesn't change then you should not have a problem.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM

Will a copy of the kma work just as the original kma? Also how do I change the import area?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. When you copy a file from one location to another it makes an exact duplicate. The reason most people use an external is to be able to transfer that drive to a back-up laptop or desktop when things go wrong during a show. It also keeps all your long hours of importing from going down the drain if your C: system drive crashes.

To change the Import location, open the Import CD Tracks window, click on the Save to Folder button, pick the location you want the files saved to and exit. That will save the location you entered so the next time you open it you will be set.
Closed Thread