MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM

Importing - What pattern do you use?

What pattern do you use to importing songs on the database? I mean when you get your CDG's to your computer and get all information like:
SONG - ARTIST - TRACK - BRAND etc.. or do you use TRACK - ARTIST - SONG - BRAND etc..
which one is the easy to use when you importing songs to the database. I have a bunch of old MP3-CDG songs but needs to organize it or rename it the right way.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:01 AM
VIP

Re: Importing - What pattern do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamezbond View Post
What pattern do you use to importing songs on the database? I mean when you get your CDG's to your computer and get all information like:
SONG - ARTIST - TRACK - BRAND etc.. or do you use TRACK - ARTIST - SONG - BRAND etc..
which one is the easy to use when you importing songs to the database. I have a bunch of old MP3-CDG songs but needs to organize it or rename it the right way.
All mine are custom named.
I start a new disc ID with the same number as the book root Id, for ex.,
when I begin a new one, it's called Various 264 (it'll hold the next 99 songs I purchase). Say I've got 20 songs to add; they are imported as

"Songname - Artistlastname, artistfirstname". They actually go in as Title - Artist. Now I have discid numbers 26401 thru 26420. When I obtain more, I will import them in as
discID-trackNo-Title - Artist , so the next ten will go in as 26421 thru 26430 .The song numbers in the book all match the discID numbers and root bookID numbers.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
When you import a cdg disc it automatically puts it in the right field order.

If you import MP3+G files it all depends how your existing files are named.
Unless they all follow a consistent pattern then I can't tell you a single way that will work.

Sometimes the Disc Id is at the end of the file name other times it's at the beginning. Sometimes they are artist - title other times they are Title - Artist, If you want to import a load of random Disc Ids then may be best to choose ignore for Both Disc Id and track# then it will import upto 99 tracks per Book root ID. This would be the quickest way but then you would have no way of knowing the brand until you play one.
If they are all the same Brand you can enter the brand in that field before importing.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:34 PM

See the thing here is that I have convert all my CDG CD's on CDG-MP3's just to keep them on my PC. The problem at the time I convert them I did not follow any pattern (DISHID - SONG - ARTIST) so now I have a bunch of files with different format on the file name.
What I start doing now is rename them all with this format (TRACK - ARTIST - SONG - DISKID) and put it on a new folder with a program called File Renamer. Do you guys think I'm doing ok with that type of format? I'm thinking once I finish all my collection renamed upload on to the database.

Thanks for the responses!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Song name - Artist Last Name, Artist First Name." They actually go in as Title - Artist. When I obtain more, I will import them in as
discID-trackNo-Title - Artist.
I also use "Song Name, Artist Last Name, Artist First Name" as my format.

However, when you buy downloads, they do not always follow that format, so after importing, I edit them to suit my format.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
See the thing here is that I have convert all my CDG CD's on CDG-MP3's just to keep them on my PC. The problem at the time I convert them I did not follow any pattern (DISHID - SONG - ARTIST) so now I have a bunch of files with different format on the file name.
What I start doing now is rename them all with this format (TRACK - ARTIST - SONG - DISKID) and put it on a new folder with a program called File Renamer. Do you guys think I'm doing ok with that type of format? I'm thinking once I finish all my collection renamed upload on to the database.

Thanks for the responses!
I usually find the "Track" unnecessary and if I were renaming all my files I would leave it out, Hoster will allocate it's own track # when importing.
So "Artist - Title - Disc Id would be better but that's just my opinion. Alternately you can always set the field order to Ignore Track #.
MTU recommends naming Artist with "Last name, First name" order but that could cause you more problems, they will still import OK using the import hard drive files dialog. What you need to think about is how they list in the songbook, if you already have songs listed as" Last name, First name" order then import others as "First name Last name" your songbook will end up a jumble.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:09 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
I also use "Song Name, Artist Last Name, Artist First Name" as my format.

However, when you buy downloads, they do not always follow that format, so after importing, I edit them to suit my format.
Me too.

Old January 4th, 2013, 10:16 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
I usually find the "Track" unnecessary and if I were renaming all my files I would leave it out, Hoster will allocate it's own track # when importing.
So "Artist - Title - Disc Id would be better but that's just my opinion. Alternately you can always set the field order to Ignore Track #.
MTU recommends naming Artist with "Last name, First name" order but that could cause you more problems, they will still import OK using the import hard drive files dialog. What you need to think about is how they list in the songbook, if you already have songs listed as" Last name, First name" order then import others as "First name Last name" your songbook will end up a jumble.
I need to use track no and disc ID when adding in songsfrom a disc already started as often Hoster will NOT always put them in alphabetical order as they appear in the new folder of added songs. I also add "z" at the beginning of each newly added song as I put them in the folder thats already started, as this will order the new batch correctly, and the following batch will get." Zz" before the song name, and so on.