MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old February 12th, 2017, 03:51 PM

Need New Computer Video Monitor Advise

Greetings,
I am in the process of deciding upon a new computer to replace my Durabook and am concerned about what to do to convert my S-Video configuration which uses a Radio Shack Video Selector Switch to one that would be commonly used by the average laptop manufacturer (for example, Dell or HP).

For video monitor support (support for 2 video monitors), my current configuration relies upon a S-video cable from my laptop into a Radio Shack Video Selector Switch using Male to Male Red White Yellow Composite Video Stereo Audio AV cables.

Please advise.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GwenButler; February 12th, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old February 12th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Need New Computer Video Monitor Advise

Why do you use a video selector switch ?
Dont you display the same output on both external monitors ?

Or do you mean a splitter box ?

Most new laptops now only have HDMI video out, some also have a VGA connector.
You can get HDMI to S-Video converters quit cheap still.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old February 12th, 2017, 06:04 PM

Roy,
Thanks for your response.
Yes, I am displaying the same output on both external monitors. Perhaps I should be describing my Radio Shack Switch as splitter box. (Not sure.)

An example of the device I am currently using can be viewed by using the following link:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...W32xoCpD7w_wcB

It seems that I would need both a cable as well as a HDMI to S-Video converter box to pursue your suggested configuration method.

Can you provide internet link(s) for your suggested hardware?

Thanks again.
Old February 12th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

This sort of thing is what I think you need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Audi...onverter&psc=1

I have not used one of these as I personally dont connect via S-Video.

I am still confused by that video switcher you linked me too as that is meant to switch between different inputs to one output (3 in 1out)
I would think you need 1 in 2 out.

What sort of ports do your monitors have ?
Do they not have HDMI inputs ?
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:21 PM

Roy,
Sorry for any confusion. I realized the unit I described earlier is what I use for my \"home set-up\" where my monitor has a S-video port. In this case, I am using an S-video cable coming out of my laptop and into the Radio Shack device with a separate S-Video cable into the back of the monitor.

For my second configuration, the one which supports two monitors (on the road) I am using a RadioShack® 1-IN / 4-OUT A/V Distribution Amplifier ( https://radioshack.com.eg/en/radiosh...plifier-15-320 ). In this case, I am only using one S-Video cable from my laptop going into the RadioShack device using two 2 Male to Male Red White Yellow Composite Video Stereo Audio AV cables coming out and into each of the two monitors.

Thanks a ton. I will take a look at your suggestion solution.

Best,
Gwen
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:49 PM

Roy,

BTW - This is the link for the ACER laptop I am thinking of using as a replacement laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-15-6-inc...Aspire+laptops

For my sound needs, I am currently using an Echo Indio sound card which I assume will not be supported with my new purchase. My guess is that I will be using my headphone port to supply audio source instead. Any and all recommendations in this area greatly appreciated.

Best,
Gwen
Old February 12th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

No the echo indio is a cardbus interface, I dont know of any modern computer still supporting that type.

You can get USB types, again depends on your budget.

As far as the computer you linked too probably alright but it is more the lower budget models and I have always shied away from Celeron processors myself.

Perhaps others will comment on that choice.

Both my computers are Acer and I have been very happy with both of them apart from the newest ones touchpad, they all now mention precision touchpads as this is Microsoft now pushing these. I much preferred the old type that had separate left & right click buttons.

I dont think it is an Acer issue I think its all these new precision touchpads as I have tried them on different models in the shop.
Old February 12th, 2017, 09:27 PM

Talking Re: Need Computer Replacement Advice

Roy,
Thanks for the reply.

I have had my DuraBook for over 7 years and need to replace it but because I do not know what features would give me maximum benefit, I have no idea what would be considered a good buy.

I only need this replacement laptop for karaoke/DJ purposes and am looking to spend much more than $1,500 (or so) for something adequate.

Do you know of any ACER laptops that look good for the money right now, based upon my needs?

Suggestions (less than $200) for a good USB type sound solution to replace my Echo Indio functionality greatly appreciated too.

Touch \"pads\" are ok but I haven\'t used any touch screens in my \"travelings\"

Thanks a ton!
GB

Last edited by GwenButler; February 12th, 2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old February 13th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Need Computer Replacement Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenButler View Post
Do you know of any ACER laptops that look good for the money right now, based upon my needs?

Suggestions (less than $200) for a good USB type sound solution to replace my Echo Indio functionality greatly appreciated too.

Touch pads are ok but I havent used any touch screens in my travelings

Thanks a ton!
GB
When I say touchpad, I am referring to the area below the keyboard where you use your finger to move the cursor.
Unless you use a mouse.
Take a look at some of MTU own offers: http://www.mtu.com/basics/karaoke-ultrabooks.htm

As far as an Acer laptop take a look at this one:
https://us-store.acer.com/aspire-e-1...op-e5-475-59nu

This one has a DVD drive if you want to play singers own disc, a lot of the new ones are dropping that feature.

The only negative point for me is it does not mention backlight keyboard so if you work in the dim lighting that would be handy to have.

Sound cards, I have a Tractor Audio 2 myself but have been thinking of changing it for one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/ESI-UDJ6-24-b.../dp/B009VFLMXO

Depending on your version of Hoster. The version were testing has an option to play the BA out through a separate channel so sending that to a separate input on your mixer will give you more control over that. This particular soundcard seems like it would be ideal when that version of Hoster is released.

It depends how much of an audio freak you are. The new computers have 24bit sound studio quality output from the headphone jack, at 75 my hearing probably is not as sensitive as it should be, I dont notice any real difference in the final result when playing at gigs apart from the external cards have a higher output so need less volume from the amp.
I expect there are plenty on this forum who will disagree with me on this point

Last edited by Roy Dennis; February 13th, 2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old February 13th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Roy,
Thanks for being so supportive.

I really like the specs and price listed for the Aspire E 14 Laptop - E5-475-59NU and am really leaning towards that purchase.

I am still not sure of the configuration needed to support my dual monitor setup, that is using the Aspire E 14. If using the (suggested) Musou HDMI to Composite S-video Video R/L Audio Converter Support 720P would it be connected to my laptop on one end having the other end connected to my RadioShack® 1-IN / 4-OUT which would output to my 2 Male to Male Red White Yellow Composite Video Stereo Audio AV cables into my monitors?

I really would like get rid of the RadioShack® 1-IN / 4-OUT output having less reliance on auxiliary devices (potential troubleshooting, etc.), if possible.

Any recommendation you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Gwen
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenButler View Post
I really would like get rid of the RadioShack® 1-IN / 4-OUT output having less reliance on auxiliary devices (potential troubleshooting, etc.), if possible.

Any recommendation you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Gwen
Seeing as the new computers dont have S-Video out you dont really need that particular video converter, there are cheaper ones such as the MINI HDMI2AV as seen here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-Mini-...-/152074416104

I have personnaly got one of these so dont be put off cause its cheep.

You need a short HDMI lead into it purchased seperately plus the usb power cord that that comes with it.
I only use the single video out from it I take my audio out from my computer headphone out or usb soundcard.

This does require you to go into the sound playback settings first and disable the audio from the HDMI, this does not affect the video signal. If you dont do that then the sound will be diverted though the converter.

I find with this providing Im only going to 2 external monitors I can just use 1 to 2 splitter. if you want more then you would need a powered splitter.

I made a video demo the setup here: https://youtu.be/zmjWM9BnCz0
Old February 14th, 2017, 09:43 AM

Talking Re: Need New Computer Video Monitor Advise

Roy,
Thanks so very much for sharing your \"spot on\" advice and expertise.

The YouTube video is well-informed. You\'re the Best!

Thanks again,
Gwen