MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: Do you use a compresser?
Yes I use a compresser 13 52.00%
No I do not use a compresser 10 40.00%
What is a compresser 2 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 9th, 2009, 03:09 AM

how many of you use compressers ?

Just want to know opions on compressers.
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:50 AM
VIP

Wouldn't run vocals without one! Also have one with a very slight compression ratio & brick wall limiter on my main output for added dynamics & speaker protection as well.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM

The Yamaha amp/mixer I use has compresion buit in to four of the channels. I use these channels with light compresion for my microphones.

I use no comprestion on the music channel.

The amp/mixer has a buit in limiter on the main and monitor outputs to prevent speaker damager. It also has and overall enhance/compresor which I leave off.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
VIP

My first day as a KJ I had some screamers that kept causing the amps limiter to kick in causing the amp to shut down for a couple of seconds and creating some embarassing audio drops.
I bought a compressor/limiter the very next day and haven't had any similiar problems in 9 years.

Ya' live and learn.

Sam
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM

what does a compresser do exactly?
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:27 AM
VIP

I don't, but prolly will now. Lonnie, what do you suggest.

Old January 10th, 2009, 05:46 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
what does a compresser do exactly?
It helps to keep your volume levels in check - say you have a singer that is singing along & then really belts out a passage, the compressor will automattically bring that volume down to a predetermined setting making the vocal sound like the same level all throughout the entire song. Have you ever had a singer that was rolling along then just belted out - making his vocal VERY HIGH over the music - even to the point of distorting the speaker, a compressor will help this!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM

i still have 2 of them, a dbx 266, dual channel compressor/gate and a Lexicon mpx10 dual channel processor ( gathering dust in my garage ), i used to use them when i used to have my pa system ( sold all of them ) since i went digital and all my gears now are active (mackie speakers srm 450 and sr1521z (bought it 15 days ago ) never really tried to use it again, wonder if it will make any diff. if i use it again..
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM

How Many use a compressor

Like Lonman, i would never consider running vocals without a compressor. It also "fattens" up the vocals.
muzicman
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
It helps to keep your volume levels in check - say you have a singer that is singing along & then really belts out a passage, the compressor will automattically bring that volume down to a predetermined setting making the vocal sound like the same level all throughout the entire song. Have you ever had a singer that was rolling along then just belted out - making his vocal VERY HIGH over the music - even to the point of distorting the speaker, a compressor will help this!
What do you use, and/or recommend Lon?

Old January 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
What do you use, and/or recommend Lon?
I use a dbx 166 on the system overall output, a dbx 266XL on two backup mics, 2 Symetrix 501 for 2 main mics - however these are no longer made, the closest equivalent would be the dbx 160A. These are single channel compressors, probably not feasable for most. I would recommend a dbx 166XL simply because it's a nice compressor for the price plus has a limiter built in - good for those screamers. The 266XL is also a nice unit without the limiter built in.
Now another really good unit is the dbx 1046 - it's is a 4 channel compressor with limiter in a one space rack.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 11th, 2009, 03:06 AM
VIP

Quote:
I use a dbx 166 on the system overall output, a dbx 266XL on two backup mics, 2 Symetrix 501 for 2 main mics - however these are no longer made, the closest equivalent would be the dbx 160A. These are single channel compressors, probably not feasable for most. I would recommend a dbx 166XL simply because it's a nice compressor for the price plus has a limiter built in - good for those screamers. The 266XL is also a nice unit without the limiter built in.
Now another really good unit is the dbx 1046 - it's is a 4 channel compressor with limiter in a one space rack.
Thx Lon.
Bryant

Old January 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM

Ok this is where I get confused "limiter" "compresser" a limiter sounds like one that would keep the screamers from overdriving my amp, right now I keep my fingers on the sliders. A compresser sounds like it would squeeze the vocals into certian frequencys, my mixer has a shape knob to control the freqs. I've been to many shows where compressers were used and it never sounded like my voice was comming thru in its true nature, do you think they just didn't know how to run things or was the compressor pulling back parts of my voice?
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:34 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
Ok this is where I get confused "limiter" "compresser" a limiter sounds like one that would keep the screamers from overdriving my amp, right now I keep my fingers on the sliders. A compresser sounds like it would squeeze the vocals into certian frequencys, my mixer has a shape knob to control the freqs. I've been to many shows where compressers were used and it never sounded like my voice was comming thru in its true nature, do you think they just didn't know how to run things or was the compressor pulling back parts of my voice?
A limiter will stop the signal from getting over a certain level. Great for speaker protection.
A compressor will help level out those signals that go from soft to loud to soft to loud - where you can actually turn the fader up a little more to bring out the soft, but when they get loud, it will react like turning the fader down - without needing to ride the fader all the time. You can be out walking around & the compressor will do it's thing.
What's a 'shape' knob?
I don't think those shows that you heard your voice had anything to do with the compressor, more sounds like they had the effects set wrong. But if it was due to the compressor they obviously had the unit set much to hard for vocals.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM

the shape knob boost and cuts frequencies. Seems redundant at first cause of the high mid low knobs but it does make a diffrence, Mackie CFX12 MKII. Kinda wish I had the VLZ, cause though Preamps sound bad if turned up more than halfway
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
VIP

Quote:
If I get this dbx166xl you recommend, do I hook it up between the wireless mic receiver (4 mics controlled here) and mixer, the mixer and amp(which you may remember I have bass and highs), or between amps and speakers(wouldn't think it would be there, though)?

Last edited by bryant; January 12th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:59 AM
VIP

Quote:
If I get this dbx166xl you recommend, do I hook it up between the wireless mic receiver (4 mics controlled here) and mixer, the mixer and amp(which you may remember I have bass and highs), or between amps and speakers(wouldn't think it would be there, though)?
Well you'll only be able to use 2 mics with that one - unless your receiver picks up all 4 mics on 1 channel? If your mixer has 'insert' jacks then I would connect it up through those on the 2 main mic channels otherwise between the mic & mixer - not as effective but will work.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 13th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:

the way i had mine set up was..board to compressor, compressor to amp..( whatever amp that is plugged into your board )
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
the way i had mine set up was..board to compressor, compressor to amp..( whatever amp that is plugged into your board )
Only drawback to that is if you really just want to compress like a loud vocal, it will do that but it will also bring the music down at the same time keeping the vocal still much louder than the music. When you compress just the vocals, it will leave the music in tact and just control the mics - keeping the loud vocals in check with the music at the same time.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Only drawback to that is if you really just want to compress like a loud vocal, it will do that but it will also bring the music down at the same time keeping the vocal still much louder than the music. When you compress just the vocals, it will leave the music in tact and just control the mics - keeping the loud vocals in check with the music at the same time.
thats true, i havent used my dbx266 &/Lexicon mpx 110 in years, ( 6-7 years )since i stopped doing big venues, maybe i'll start using them..