MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 21st, 2016, 08:22 AM

Wireless microphones 2016

I know there have been many post on the topic of wireless microphones but many of these post are very old (5-6 years) and with the changes in technology I would like to hear what others are using and the pro and cons of their system. I am using wire mics (Shure) right now but would like to try using wireless. I have been looking at the VocoPro UHF5805 and the Audio2000 Awm6522U. Any thoughts?
Old January 22nd, 2016, 03:37 AM
VIP

Re: Wireless microphones 2016

Look at the GTD Brand ... Model 622 is what I use... Affordable, and receiving high marks from other KJ's... I have shelved my Shure Wireless Mics in favor of these, because you can replace the whole Transmitter/Microphone (New Replacement) for about $35 ... My Shure's cost about $100 to REPAIR when needed... and I don't worry so much about the Drunks handling the GTD's as I did with the Shure's... YMMV

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:47 PM

I use a set of VocoPro UHF 5800 (non-rechargeable) and have been very satisfied with them. The battery life is outstanding (2 AA per mic).

Though not needed in most cases, the range is awesome. I have tested them 250 feet away and they still are very clear and had no interference...
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:35 PM

advantages of rechargeable vs non?
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyzz View Post
advantages of rechargeable vs non?
Don't really know of any, either way. I've had both and it's six of one and half dozen of the other. I always bought top of the line rechargeable batteries (Radio Shack 9-volt @ ~$15 each)...

The batteries in the UHF 5800 are reputed to last ~8 hours. I don't know how long they will actually last, but they last a long time for me!

I'd say it's a personal preference...
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:48 AM
VIP

xxyzz,

Give us an idea why you want to change from Wired to Wireless, and we can narrow down the pluses and minus's of each according to your application or need... and budget!

Go down to a local Guitar Center Store, "Kick the Tires" by comparing models in your price range, and see which sound better to you and your voice...

You can spend a lot more money, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to sound improvement, in most cases... your over all sound, dictated by quality of Microphone, Mixer, and Speakers can always be tweaked for improvement...

You are using Shure mics now, and in a commercial show, won't be satisfied with the handling noise of the Vocal Pros, IMO... I've never used the Audio 2000 brand, so can't make a comparison ... the Shure wired mics are known to be a quality brand, and a durable workhorse in the entertainment industry ( Check how many bands, that set up and tear down nightly use the Shure wired mics )...

With wireless, the cost of batteries over an extended period of time should be a consideration... You don't want a dead battery to cause an interruption in the performance... the range or distance from transmitter/mic, to receiver is a factor... the antennae, and placement in rack sometimes is a consideration ... the durability, or longevity of your mic system, and replacement cost of transmitter(s) would be a major consideration for Pro KJ's as opposed to the Hobbyist that breaks out the Karaoke for their yearly family get together's ...

How much is the sound coming out of your speakers worth to you? Without knowing your equipment setup, application, and budget, our recommendations based on the two models in your original query may have to be revised... but I still can recommend the GTD's for all the right reason's... Price, looks, feel, and mostly sound quality being the main factor's... and again, your mileage may vary...

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

Old January 25th, 2016, 12:30 PM

You are using Shure mics now, and in a commercial show, won't be satisfied with the handling noise of the Vocal Pros, IMO... I've never used the Audio 2000 brand, so can't make a comparison ... the Shure wired mics are known to be a quality brand, and a durable workhorse in the entertainment industry (Check how many bands, that set up and tear down nightly use the Shure wired mics)... (Rick)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rick,

I don't know where you've been getting your information on the VocoPro's, but you're way off base.

I do several local Festivals outdoors using my VocoPro's and six QSC speakers and have had NO noise or interference problems!

Actually, I get compliments from the participants and audience...

Wired mics last longer and do better "if" they are left in the mic stands...

Karaoke singers want to move around and often step on the cable, sometimes snatching the mic out of their hands!
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:27 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rick,

I don't know where you've been getting your information on the VocoPro's, but you're way off base.

I do several local Festivals outdoors using my VocoPro's and six QSC speakers and have had NO noise or interference problems!

Actually, I get compliments from the participants and audience...

Wired mics last longer and do better "if" they are left in the mic stands...

Karaoke singers want to move around and often step on the cable, sometimes snatching the mic out of their hands![/size][/font]
*Attributed to the BH Photography site ( Reviews of the VocoPro UHF 5800 ) Note:They have POSITIVE Reviews as Well...
"We recieved these installed in a cart for video /audio recording for web streaming. The mics started cutting out at about 8 feet from the cart during our trial run and making twumping sounds. I had to use a set of Sennheiser mics for the event. We sent the VocoPro set back to the manufacturer. The replacement set is doing the same thing. I have since removed the VocoPro set from the cart and installed the Sennheiser mics which we are very happy with.
You cannot change channels if you are getting interference on the channel. The manufacturer said it might be the space we are using, but I have 5 other brands of mics I have used in that space over the last 10 years and not had any problems."

Attributed to the Guitar Center Site: Reviews of the VocoPro UHF 5800 Microphone System...

_Most Liked Positive Review

SUPRISED AND PLEASED OVERALL!!!!
Purchased my UHF-5800 for use in church type situations. Was somewhat hesitant over the quality of the handhelds--felt "cheap". Purchased on the advice of my regular salesperson,...
Read complete review
VS
Most Liked Negative Review

Worst microphones I've ever used!
Features: Great price on a 4-channel set of wireless mics. Thats the end of the feature list. Quality & Reliability: I went through 2 sets of these, and in each...
Read complete review_______________________________

Kod,

Your experience, and information about VocoPro is more valuable to this OP because your expertise is more current... My use of VocoPro products ended 15+ yrs ago... thus my opinion is dated, I admit, but currently we can find good and bad faults for each of our recommendations... Only the OP can draw his own conclusions, after trying out each (and I suggest trying out more brands and models), before purchasing, and he should draw upon actual KJ expertise, like yours, and mine, and others, which depending on his needs and budget... will help in his future purchase decision...

xxyzz,

Please go to the KaraokeScene.com/forums site and check their (many more KJ opinions) KJ Forum regarding VocoPro products, and comparisons with GTD Microphone systems (GTD G-787H is closest to VocoPro UHF5800), for help in your Microphone Purchase Decision...