MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 24th, 2015, 09:41 PM

Importing MP3+G steps?

I have a friend that just started using Hoster and I'm still learning myself.

So, he has a database of MP3+G songs he has been using with some other software program and he wants me to help him import these so he can use them in Hoster

Are there any import steps formatted like this: Step 1 > Step 2 > Step 3 > Step 4 > Step 5 > Step 6, etc, etc?
Old March 25th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Importing MP3+G steps?

Afraid it's not easy to give a one answer for all situations.
It depends how his files are organised and the way the files are named.
Some people just put their MP3+G files in one folder not sorted in any way others have them sorted in folders by brand others might also have them sorted by Brand and subfolders with Disc id.
Then it can depend how the files are named, they may have a Disc ID preceding the file name or at the end of the name or none at all, they may have title before artist or visa versa.
there are so many variables in file structure it's hard to give a one for all answer.
But the main thing to understand when importing via the Index Song files dialog is to get the field order correct.
And if the pre defined ones don't suit press the define field order button and make that match the files your trying to import in some cases entering the spacers from the keyboard rather than the predefined ones. eliminating spaces to match the original file name if possible.

If Disc Id is not important to him you can choose to ignore those fields and track # if you want. This often makes the importing easier but bear in mind once imported disc id can't be edited afterwards. I personally like all my Disc IDs correct but with the gradual decline in disc media for downloads it seems less important.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old March 28th, 2015, 07:49 PM

OK, so I got my friend's laptop today and the Hoster program is all loaded and ready to go...

He has his music collection on an external hard drive and it is about 640 gigs, which is larger than the space available on the laptop's hard drive.

Is it possible to use his music collection whilst it is on the external drive without importing it to the Hoster program residing on the laptop's C Drive?

If so, his music collection is MP3+G that is organized in folder by manufacturer and then within each manufacturer's folder there is a folder for each individual disc by that manufacturer.

So, any thoughts on how to handle all this would be appreciated cause... at this point, I'm clueless due to this being so different than what I did with mine which was import each disc in the Hoster format.
Old March 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
OK, so I got my friend's laptop today and the Hoster program is all loaded and ready to go...

He has his music collection on an external hard drive and it is about 640 gigs, which is larger than the space available on the laptop's hard drive.

Is it possible to use his music collection whilst it is on the external drive without importing it to the Hoster program residing on the laptop's C Drive?
If you choose the KMH option together with MP3G, the files will remain on his external drive and Hoster will write a small header file to each file with a .kmh extension. The drive must be connected to the computer to play the files. Only the songs.mdb is stored in the Hoster folder which is on the C\Drive.

If so, his music collection is MP3+G that is organized in folder by manufacturer and then within each manufacturer's folder there is a folder for each individual disc by that manufacturer.

So, any thoughts on how to handle all this would be appreciated cause... at this point, I'm clueless due to this being so different than what I did with mine which was import each disc in the Hoster format.
I suggest you read the Hoster manual, look down the index for "Index Song Files/Steps to import files" also might help to watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjf7fxEK5wk
The video is describing an earlier version of Hoster and the first part has been altered, skip forward to 4.50 min in the time line and it describes setting the define field order. The latest version is slightly different in regards that you now have to click the define field order button to view that dialog but the method is much the same.

I would try it on a couple of individual folders first till you get the idea then you could select the Batch mode along with ticking the include subfolders which will just run through all the folders in the parent folder.
Only choose that if all the files follow the same name order.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old March 29th, 2015, 12:24 AM

OK, thanks.

Yes, at least he has them in alphabetical order and within each folder it is in alphabetical and/or numerical order as well.

I'll check out the video and see what I can do. You made it sounds pretty easy so hopefully I'll be able to figure this all out.

I'll post other questions if they come up, and Thanks again!

Last edited by Rockrz; March 29th, 2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old March 29th, 2015, 12:46 AM

Another question... if I try a couple of sub folders and it goes well, when they be duplicated when I try to index the entire collection?

Also, how can I keep this imported song collection separate from another?
Old March 29th, 2015, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Another question... if I try a couple of sub folders and it goes well, when they be duplicated when I try to index the entire collection??
Providing you have the box ticked for "Hide Indexed tracks" then it won't re import them so they won't be duplicated.
Quote:
Also, how can I keep this imported song collection separate from another?
I don't understand what you are asking, Importing these files will not affect the files if they are used in any other software.

If your asking can you keep them separate from other files imported into Hoster, they will all be written to the same database but you can have other files on your internal drive or any other drives but be aware you must not have Disc id's or Bookid's duplicated.
Old March 29th, 2015, 11:54 PM

I'm hoping to not use anything other than the artist name and the song name since this is how his MP3+3 database is setup.

I was just wondering is this database could be kept separate from a different database... like can one be Songbook 1, and the other be Songbook 2 ?

If all will go in to the same pot, then he'll just have to deal with it and be happy it's working, but I just thought I'd ask
Old March 30th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know of any way you could have 2 separate Hoster databases on one computer.
Hoster creates an Access database named "songs.mdb" that is a fixed name and can't be changed.

You could however create different "song books" as the Songbook dialog allows for a variety of different options. Or you can mark songs while importing to not print in the Song Book.
Old March 30th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Well, he has a karaoke song database I need to import... but he also does some DJ gigs and he wants those songs kept separate.

So, I guess what I'm asking is how can I set him up so he can have what appears to be two separate databases, one that only show karaoke songs and another that shows his regular music collection he would use for DJ'ing.

If this can't be done, I've found some DJ programs that are free open source software program that might work for DJ'ing so he can keep these two types of music separated.

I know some of the guys on here also DJ so I thought I'd ask if separation can be done with Hoster.
Old March 30th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Hoster keeps different types separate. You can choose to search for just Karaoke or just Audio Or just Video types.
In the search dialog there is a button for each type, so if you just want to search on audio you un highlight the other two buttons.

The playlist also shows the different types under the type column.

Same in songbook you choose which type to print.

I personally import my tracks with a higher Book Id for Audio types, I set the book ID to 20000 then press the next button and it finds the next available book Id above that starting number, same for videos I set a Book Id to 30000 so I know all my videos have a distinct starting number.
This is not really necessary but just something I choose to do myself.

Hoster will still filter on the types you choose in the search box without a unique number.

I add a screenshot showing Search dialog and playlist types column.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg file types.jpg (352.9 KB, 8 views)
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:11 AM

OK, so if I put his karaoke song and his WAV songs together... the column will show MP3+G or WAV... and he can simply click the format link and it will sort according to file type?

If so, will it sort alphabetically?

I'm wondering if I should setup some DJ program just for his normal songs he plays when he's DJ'ing for simplicity to keep his regular music separated from his karaoke music.
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If so, will it sort alphabetically?

It will sort in any order you want, you just double click the column header that you want to sort on.

The best way to understand it is to import some of each type, if afterwards you decide you don't want it that way you can always remove them via the Tools edit dialog.
Old April 21st, 2015, 02:21 PM

OK, since this belongs to someone else... I'll have to ask him.

I have a feeling he is going to want to keep the karaoke music database completely separate from his regular tracks he uses when he DJs.

This is why I was thinking about a DJ program to keep the two separated.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 03:50 PM

Roy
I watched the video you post to Rockrz (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjf7fxEK5wk). I was hoping it would help me.

This must be for an older version and I am using 5.30 and I can't index some of my video. In the Build data Base I don't have options to choose for different video files.

Could you give me a clue on how to index some video. Thanks
Old September 3rd, 2015, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

What format are your videos in MP4, Avi,WMV or something else, the extension at the end of the file name.
Can you paste an example file name here.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:46 PM

When I hold my mouse over the file it says it is a .mpg
SFV027-01 - Let Me Entertain You - Robbie Williams
But the "type" is a movie clip. I can't seem to convert it to a usable file yet.

You know, now that I think about this, I don't recall all video being indexed now.
Humm
Thanks
Old September 3rd, 2015, 09:11 PM

With curiosity in the Index, I clicked on the "Type of File" from the drop down at the bottom and chose "All Files" and all the video files appeared to be indexed.

I just don't know what I'd do about me sometimes.

Thanks Roy. I wouldn't have pushed myself to search further if you had not questioned me.
Old September 4th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hoster will play almost any type of video without conversion if you have the right codec installed.
MTU recommends installing the K-Lite codec pac.
This is in the manual under "make these performance changes"
This is from the manual:
You need to install Video Codecs on your computer to beable to play different types of Video files in Hoster.
1.Download the Video Codec Pack from: http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_me...k_download.htm
2.Make sure that you click on where it states: Download [K-Lite Mega Codec Pack X.xx] where X.xx is the version number.
3.Save this file to your computer and then double click on it to run it, Follow the onscreen instructions.
4.Once installed, you will beable to play video files in Hoster.

I have yet to find a video that won't play after installing this although sometimes needs a bit of tweaking with the odd type.
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:02 PM

What\'chou talkin \'bout Willus???