MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: Do you use Feat. Or & in your file names
Do you edit the actual file to "&" before importing. 2 40.00%
Do you import as is and edit after in Hoster. 3 60.00%
Do you import as is and display as Feat, or FT, 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Feat. Vs &

MTU recommendations has always been to enter file names as last name first name with & when a song has more than one singer.
Most download sites that I see always use Feat or Ft. It's the same now when you purchase standard CD none karaoke music.
Up until now I have always edited out the Feat for & for all my karaoke tracks. I still leave standard mp3 and video imports with the Feat.
Just wondering what others views are on this.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:49 PM
VIP

Re: Feat. Vs &

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
MTU recommendations has always been to enter file names as last name first name with & when a song has more than one singer.
Most download sites that I see always use Feat or Ft. It's the same now when you purchase standard CD none karaoke music.
Up until now I have always edited out the Feat for & for all my karaoke tracks. I still leave standard mp3 and video imports with the Feat.
I have been replacing "Feat" with "&", also. It's simpler, less letters, and consistent with the way it has always been, so it's less confusing to have everything show the same way in the database & songbooks. I've been wondering though if it means the same. "Featuring" doesn't mean the same thing to me.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
I do this both ways...

If it is a true duet, I use &.

If it is not a true duet, I use Ftg.
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:25 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
I do this both ways...

If it is a true duet, I use &.

If it is not a true duet, I use Ftg.
Always use &, always better to be completely consistent, and"&" just looks plain neater.

Old October 21st, 2014, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

I think Kods idea could work quite well using ft. when the track has more than one artist name but is not a duet.
If you put an explanation in your songbook that if an artist is displayed as Feat, or Ft. that the track is not a duet it would help singers who want to sing a duet.
I downloaded Tim McGraw Feat Faith Hill - Meanwhile back at mama's" now this could appear to anyone searching the songbook that it is a duet but the part of Faith Hill is as a backing singer and is not highlighted as separate colour in the lyrics so as kod said is not a true duet.

The negative thing about this is I would have to edit all my songs

But if I was starting from scratch it might be a good idea.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.