MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 16th, 2013, 11:33 PM

Songbook creating software???

OK, what's the best way to create a songbook?

Should I be thinking of buying some software for this, or just manually enter songs into an Excel Spreadsheet as I get them?

Even if I did end up using some software, I'd like for it to export to a spreadsheet so I can tweak it before printing.

Just wanted to see what the resident experts here are doing...
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Songbook creating software???

Hoster has a built in songbook creating section but you can also export it's results to use in XL.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:18 AM

I've purchased the microstudio package, but was looking at the Hoster program.

What's the difference between Video Hoster and "Hoster One" which is on sale for $99.99 right now?
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that the latest Hoster one has all the same functionality it's just that you can only install it on one computer so you can't have a backup computer ready at your show if the one fails.
Probably ideal if you only use it at home
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM

Well, since it's on sale for $99.00 you could buy two copies instead of the standard copy for $129 to save a few dollars and still have 2 copies for two different PCs

I'm probably going to stick with MicroStudio for now and just manually bring up songs as needed.
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
OK, what's the best way to create a songbook?

Should I be thinking of buying some software for this, or just manually enter songs into an Excel Spreadsheet as I get them?

Even if I did end up using some software, I'd like for it to export to a spreadsheet so I can tweak it before printing.

Just wanted to see what the resident experts here are doing...
Hoster's songbook program is the best & easiest, if you use Hoster for your Shows-no double work. Then when you find mistakes, you can correct them as you see them & corrections are already done when you go to print. Also, when you add new songs, Hoster keeps that list separate so that you can also print out a list of just new songs added since the last printing to put a List of New Songs in the front of your books, until you decide to reprint the whole book again. And you can always preview & make changes prior to printing.
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:43 PM

Can it accommodate a column where I can put in the date each some was purchased? For simplicity, I'm going to put that in because I have a receipt for each time I purchase music that is dated such as 13-05-17

That way, I can easily account for and demonstrate that I have a purchase receipt that accounts for each song in my collection. Now, when I print songbooks, I'll delete that column, but I need this in my master list for record keeping purposes to simplify providing proof of purchase for each song.

If it cannot do that, I'll have to create my list manually in MS Excel... which is really not that big of a deal. I'm also going to have a column to show who the manufact6urer is of each song since I will have the same song from different manufacturers in some cases.

Back when I was hitting the clubs, I wanted to know that cause not all karaoke songs are created equal... some are good, and some stink!
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM
VIP

Quote:
Can it accommodate a column where I can put in the date each some was purchased? For simplicity, I'm going to put that in because I have a receipt for each time I purchase music that is dated such as 13-05-17

That way, I can easily account for and demonstrate that I have a purchase receipt that accounts for each song in my collection. Now, when I print songbooks, I'll delete that column, but I need this in my master list for record keeping purposes to simplify providing proof of purchase for each song.

If it cannot do that, I'll have to create my list manually in MS Excel... which is really not that big of a deal. I'm also going to have a column to show who the manufact6urer is of each song since I will have the same song from different manufacturers in some cases.

Back when I was hitting the clubs, I wanted to know that cause not all karaoke songs are created equal... some are good, and some stink!
The Songbook is designed to be a "Songbook" to show your customers. If you want an extra column for personal info, it can accommodate several different programs, some of which can export that info to Excel to use anyway you want. If you have Hoster, the Manual will explain it in more detail.
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:37 PM

I'd only be able to use it if it has the ability for me to add notes for each entry that comes out as an extra column when exporting to a spreadsheet.

I may be strange, but I'm documenting the purchase of each song from the start along with the ability to easily find the receipt that shows proof of purchase for each song.

That's why I want this extra column so I can put in the date of purchase which will correspond with the purchase receipt which will be dated the same.

This way, if someone wants to audit me, I can give them the master spreadsheet and the folder with all the receipts and they'll have proof of purchase for each song which I can burn to a disc er something within minutes...

Just trying to plan ahead.
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Why don't you try the Demo Hoster ?

Microstudio isn't really intended to be used in shows.

Hoster is faster searching for songs and much more suited to show conditions.

The next version that will be released soon actually records the date that you load the files into Hoster (will not be in the demo) so that seems to be what you are asking for.
Old May 17th, 2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
The next version that will be released soon actually records the date that you load the files into Hoster (will not be in the demo) so that seems to be what you are asking for.
Only if I can change that date to match the date I actually purchased the song(s).
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:37 PM
VIP

Quote:
You cannot add that to the book, however if you rip the discs on the day you buy them - it does date the day they were ripped. And you can create a book with a specific date range as well - it won't show the date in the book, but will only take the songs that were added to Hoster between specific dates..

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:40 PM
VIP

Quote:
Only if I can change that date to match the date I actually purchased the song(s).
You could do that in the actual database via MS Access if you don't upload the songs the day you buy them.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM

When importing with Hoster... can you assign your own number to each song, or does Hostor force you to use the manufacturer's disk number?

And, does the Hoster database recognize karaoke music by Daywind, who does mostly gospel and some country.
Old May 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM
VIP

Quote:
When importing with Hoster... can you assign your own number to each song, or does Hostor force you to use the manufacturer's disk number?

And, does the Hoster database recognize karaoke music by Daywind, who does mostly gospel and some country.
If you would just download & use Hoster, the answers to your questions (most of which have already been answered) will probably make more sense to you.
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM

Sorry, I'm not ready for that yet... I'm simply working on my music collection right now.

I do have the laptop, but I need to install a larger hard drive add more RAM and do a few other tweaks before I'm ready to load any software.

Since I'm working on my song collection, I'm manually typing up my song list in MS Excel as the discs come in.

I was unaware that asking simple questions was going to be a problem.... maybe someone else can reply and answer, if it doesn't put them out to much?