MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 20th, 2013, 07:21 PM

Best PA for the Money?

I know Lonman recommended using a Yamaha MG124CX board, and I've got that on my list.

But, I just came across this Yamaha PA system (2 speakers and a mixing board) at http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StagePas600i for $899

Is this considered a good system, or would I do better to get the Yamaha MG124CX and then buy some speakers separately?

What I liked about the StagePas 600i system is that it claims to have the ability to prevent feedback. Is this claim a reality?

And, if getting a Yamaha board... would it be better to get Yamaha speakers? Just curious if having the same brand of electronics is better since the manufacturer's claim their components work best with their other components.
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:07 PM
VIP

Re: Best PA for the Money?

Depends on your needs and future plans. If this is just for a small room, it may be all you need. If you want to use it in larger rooms or outside, it's going to be pretty small and thin sounding.

The feedback suppressor built in is only going to be good as your initial gain structure, speaker placement & mic techniques. You have a good solid setup with these last 3, you shouldn't get feedback anyway.
You can always add a nice eq later (my preference over a feedback eliminator - which you can also add later if you want). I am also not big on the 1 knob overall system eq. That reminds me of the tone control on an AM radio.
If it were me, the board I mentioned and a couple decent speakers are going to run about the same (maybe a little more) than that Stagepass.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
If it were me, the board I mentioned and a couple decent speakers are going to run about the same (maybe a little more) than that Stagepass.
OK, after reading up on that board I was leaning towards getting it since it does have good reviews and seems to be good quality.

Think it's be a good idea to use Yamaha speakers along with the Yamaha board? Or does using like branded components together make much difference?
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:21 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
OK, after reading up on that board I was leaning towards getting it since it does have good reviews and seems to be good quality.

Think it's be a good idea to use Yamaha speakers along with the Yamaha board? Or does using like branded components together make much difference?
Doesn't much matter. I prefer Peavey, EV or QSC speakers myself. But they are a lot more money.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB