MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 16th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnkarl View Post
Well, I have told only one singer that he can't sing anymore...I don't care if he is a paying customer. This particular guy (I think he is also mentally challenged) eats all the free popcorn he can, and spits abnormally into the mic (popcorn and all). I have recently bought an extra set of mics for these people and put foam on it...told him to leave it on but he takes it off anyway and laughs about it. told him again and again to knock it off so he then sticks the mic in front of the speakers and thinks the feedback is funny......HE IS DONE......I don't care if he is slow or not, the grossest thing is to pick up a sloppy popcorn splattered mic.
That's fair enough but you didn't bar the guy simply because he was a crap singer, you got rid of him because of his behaviour on stage and I totally agree with that. I have some simple guidelines at my gigs.

1. No swearing or obscene langueage over the mics (altho that's hard.
to uphold if they're singing a Pink song)
2. No drinks or drunks on stage.
3. Don't abuse the gear (that includes tapping heavily or spitting on the mics or swinging them around.

They also have to abide by the way I run the rotation.

I love the job because I love to sing myself but even more so when everything runs along smoothly without hassles.

I've gotta admit I enjoy it most when the talent is great.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailMom View Post
Billy, where are your shows in Florida?
i am not doing any right now, since the place i work out is gonna be going under renovation,i'm gonna be starting at the beginning of next year at the same place (restaurant ) but i have been doing private parties, did one last night, and this coming saturday..i used to play at a bar called Blondies in Jupiter, Scorekeeper in Lake Worth, Yum Yum Restaurant in Northlake, King And I in Lake Worth, are you from around here ( west palm beach ? )
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i am not doing any right now, since the place i work out is gonna be going under renovation,i'm gonna be starting at the beginning of next year at the same place (restaurant ) but i have been doing private parties, did one last night, and this coming saturday..i used to play at a bar called Blondies in Jupiter, Scorekeeper in Lake Worth, Yum Yum Restaurant in Northlake, King And I in Lake Worth, are you from around here ( west palm beach ? )
Sorry, didn't realize you were so far up there. I'm in Palm Beach County on the border of Broward County
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry, didn't realize you were so far up there. I'm in Palm Beach County on the border of Broward County

where about in broward are you ? are you around miami , im in palm beach county too, just 45 to an hour north of you, i played out there for a while its used to be a howard johnson hotel on 4th street, i played in a brazilian restaurant in sunrise..and some of the asian restaurants out there.
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Te Kani View Post
1. No swearing or obscene langueage over the mics (altho that's hard.
to uphold if they're singing a Pink song)
You don't want that language on stage, then simply remove those songs from the book - the club I work absolutely does not want any profanity over the mic so I just took the songs out of the book. Only complaints I get are primarily from those that would want to just scream the F bombs over the PA anyway. If they do, they get 1 warning if they do it again, they are shut down.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old December 18th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
where about in broward are you ? are you around miami , im in palm beach county too, just 45 to an hour north of you, i played out there for a while its used to be a howard johnson hotel on 4th street, i played in a brazilian restaurant in sunrise..and some of the asian restaurants out there.
I'm in Boca Raton.
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
i've been to a show where singers are not allowed to sing any slow songs, has to be rock, classic rock etc..and if someone wants to sing a slow song the kj has to ask permission from the bar owner, needless to say the bar is now closed for business...
The largest karaoke hosting chain in my area implemented a similar policy a few months ago: slow songs get tossed in a hat and 1 is drawn once per rotation. No one likes it, not the hosts, not the singers, not the customers. The clubs using this chain started losing business and now the chain is backing off that policy. I think it was a misguided attempt to discourage 'sleeper' songs rather than 'slow' songs. i.e. Danny Boy. I go to karaoke nights that cater to customers 30 and older and most people enjoy the slower songs.
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not prejudiced to any bad singers, but there are some songs that if a singer isn't very good I dread them singing. Example Queen's Bohemian rhapsody, or songs that last extra long times like Don Mclean's American Pie. Don't get me wrong I like the songs and I let them sing them but wish they would pick something different.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I'm in Boca Raton.

thats not far from me 1/2 hr. away, i work for the county and my office used to be in Sandalfoot area, i'm not sure if you know where that is, but its so. of glades road ,west off 441 just by the publix grocery, i have people that come to my show that lives there..around palmetto rd..maybe i'll come and see you sometime..where do you play?
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMcCharles View Post
The largest karaoke hosting chain in my area implemented a similar policy a few months ago: slow songs get tossed in a hat and 1 is drawn once per rotation. No one likes it, not the hosts, not the singers, not the customers. The clubs using this chain started losing business and now the chain is backing off that policy. I think it was a misguided attempt to discourage 'sleeper' songs rather than 'slow' songs. i.e. Danny Boy. I go to karaoke nights that cater to customers 30 and older and most people enjoy the slower songs.

i do the same, id rather have people in their mid 30s or older to my show, than teen agers, not that i dont like them, its just when i get teen agers sometimes they get so roudy and abnoxious to the others and all they wanted to do was rap, dont get me wrong i play a lot of rap/hip-hops when i dj..but 30s or older thats when people really enjoy going to karaoke places..
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:50 AM
VIP

Quote:
that's true but you can always wiped it of, i just usually turn my back away from the crowd and wipe it off with a napkin without being to obvious..
Clorox or Lysterine wipes. I try to to be very obvious, especially when some idiot announces over the mic that they have a cold or are recovering from strep.
It's cold and flu season, people like to be re-assured that the thing that might accidentally touch their lips is germ free. Not to mention that it helps neutralize odors from singers with bad breathe or smokers.

Sam
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:13 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMcCharles View Post
Exactly, half of one, six dozen of the other.
We work so "They" can sell alcohol, bottom line.
Do what you gotta, DO!

Old December 20th, 2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
i do the same, id rather have people in their mid 30s or older to my show, than teen agers, not that i dont like them, its just when i get teen agers sometimes they get so roudy and abnoxious to the others and all they wanted to do was rap, dont get me wrong i play a lot of rap/hip-hops when i dj..but 30s or older thats when people really enjoy going to karaoke places..
I'm with you guys. Personally, I'll leave the younger over-zealous age group to someone else. I deliberately aim for the 30 plus-ers and want my venue to have a reputation as somewhere where they can come and know they're going to be treated fairly and don't have to put up with a lot of screaming rowdy drunken kids who think the world owes them a living. Juding by my ever growing patronage, it seems to be working!
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:13 AM

Everyone will probably hate me for saying this, but depending on the size of the room, really bad singers can lose you business.

I work in a small karaoke place that's known for its selection (collected over 10 years by myself) & professional equipment, including a Mackie 808M head & speakers, Shure 58 mics (those things are $600 a pop), & regular crowd of classic rock & 80s enthusiasts. There are a number of professional singers in our regular crowd & we are a regular hang out for local rock musicians. Our regular crowd has shaped itself over the years into a small community of people who appreciate music that sounds good, & come to our place because of the caliber of the karaoke on most nights.

We're small --- like 5 tables & perhaps 5 seats at the bar. The regulars all know eachother & there's a lot of great dueting & harmonizing most nights. Recently a newspaper wrote a stunning review about our place - completely unsolicited by us - & suddenly we were invaded by hordes of newcomers who had no idea how to behave in a 5-table hole in the wall. Dancing on chairs, 10-man singalongs, girls gone wild action --- all this is well & good in certain (larger) bars, but in ours it's just ugly.

Bad singers in our place, if given the mic more than a few songs, will actually cause our regulars to ask for their tabs & go home. The problem is, our regulars spend waaaay more money than the tourists. We have fellows who leave $20-$50 tips, just for themselves, regardless of what their tab was. And they tip that way because they enjoyed themselves.

Just the other week I served 3 tone deaf newcomers who, between the 3 of them ordered 2 glasses of water, then turned in an order for 7 songs. We don't have a drink minimum because we've never needed to. When their songs came up, these folks then screamed, jumping up & down, at the top of their lungs. There was no quality, just a large quantity --- of noise.

The thing about having a room of musicians or good singers is that you basically have a room of people with good hearing, better than the average person, simply because it comes along with playing music. So when something like this happens, the level of torture for your people with good ears is much worse than in other situations.

When they paid their $7 tab at the end of the night, after having taken up table space for 2 hours, they tipped $1. Fortunately they hadn't chased any regulars out.

It's just not worth it.

They did come in again night before last, & while I didn't deny them their right to spend $3 on 3 songs & nothing on their glasses of water, I did scatter their songs as widely as I could to minimize the suffering of my regulars. At the end of the night, if any songs had to be bumped, it was going to be theirs. It sounds unfair but then again I'm the one who makes the rules.

Our situation is probably a unique one; chances are most of you karaoke hosts have to put up with way more than I ever have, but when we opened this bar the intention was to have quality, not quantity, & we worked hard to make it this way. I fully admit that I am a snob.

Sometimes bad singers do need to be managed.
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamastara View Post
Everyone will probably hate me for saying this, but depending on the size of the room, really bad singers can lose you business.

I work in a small karaoke place that's known for its selection (collected over 10 years by myself) & professional equipment, including a Mackie 808M head & speakers, Shure 58 mics (those things are $600 a pop), & regular crowd of classic rock & 80s enthusiasts.
I don't think anybody will hate you. I do a little, only because you consistently get to hear good singers I relish those moments when someone gets up a wows me. I do think you may need to reconsider your shopping habits though. I use Shure SM 58s exclusively and I rarely pay more than $100 for them. I think that the size of your club allows you to be a little more selective. As a bar owner myself, I have a relatively small venue for my town but I can still accommodate 100 or so. The larger the venue, the larger the overhead. The numbers don't translate when you get larger. You can't fill 100 seats with good quality singers that pay a premium. Because of this, you need volume. That is why I have to put up with the yayhoos that you are refering to. I also just don't have it in me to treat people badly. I hear all the stories of the number of rules the other KJs have especially about the equipment. I can't seem to be a Nazi about this. I just fix or repair what I can, and replace the rest. But I limit the items within reach of the audience to mics, stands, and cords.
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I work in a small karaoke place that's known for its selection (collected over 10 years by myself) & professional equipment, including a Mackie 808M head & speakers, Shure 58 mics (those things are $600 a pop), & regular crowd of classic rock & 80s enthusiasts. There are a number of professional singers in our regular crowd & we are a regular hang out for local rock musicians. Our regular crowd has shaped itself over the years into a small community of people who appreciate music that sounds good, & come to our place because of the caliber of the karaoke on most nights.

We're small --- like 5 tables & perhaps 5 seats at the bar. The regulars all know eachother & there's a lot of great dueting & harmonizing most nights. Recently a newspaper wrote a stunning review about our place - completely unsolicited by us - & suddenly we were invaded by hordes of newcomers who had no idea how to behave in a 5-table hole in the wall. Dancing on chairs, 10-man singalongs, girls gone wild action --- all this is well & good in certain (larger) bars, but in ours it's just ugly.

Bad singers in our place, if given the mic more than a few songs, will actually cause our regulars to ask for their tabs & go home. The problem is, our regulars spend waaaay more money than the tourists. We have fellows who leave $20-$50 tips, just for themselves, regardless of what their tab was. And they tip that way because they enjoyed themselves.

Just the other week I served 3 tone deaf newcomers who, between the 3 of them ordered 2 glasses of water, then turned in an order for 7 songs. We don't have a drink minimum because we've never needed to. When their songs came up, these folks then screamed, jumping up & down, at the top of their lungs. There was no quality, just a large quantity --- of noise.

The thing about having a room of musicians or good singers is that you basically have a room of people with good hearing, better than the average person, simply because it comes along with playing music. So when something like this happens, the level of torture for your people with good ears is much worse than in other situations.

When they paid their $7 tab at the end of the night, after having taken up table space for 2 hours, they tipped $1. Fortunately they hadn't chased any regulars out.

It's just not worth it.

They did come in again night before last, & while I didn't deny them their right to spend $3 on 3 songs & nothing on their glasses of water, I did scatter their songs as widely as I could to minimize the suffering of my regulars. At the end of the night, if any songs had to be bumped, it was going to be theirs. It sounds unfair but then again I'm the one who makes the rules.

Our situation is probably a unique one; chances are most of you karaoke hosts have to put up with way more than I ever have, but when we opened this bar the intention was to have quality, not quantity, & we worked hard to make it this way. I fully admit that I am a snob.

Sometimes bad singers do need to be managed.
Is there a way in your state to make your bar a private exclusive club? The only other way I could see to keep the numbers of tourists down would be to raise your drink prices and use only bottled water. It sounds like your regulars could afford it if they leave that large a tip and probably would agree to it though the tips might get a bit smaller.
You do have a unique situation and I think we can all understand, but as long as you are a public bar you really can't refuse to let them sing and should be treating them the same way as your regulars. Otherwise your next review may be a really bad one.
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
VIP

Quote:
Shure 58 mics (those things are $600 a pop),
I SURE HOPE you are talking about the high end wireless. If you are paying $600 for wired, you are getting MAJORLY ripped off!

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
I SURE HOPE you are talking about the high end wireless. If you are paying $600 for wired, you are getting MAJORLY ripped off!
I use wired Sennheiser 835s myself and rarely do those mics go above $100. I hope it is a wireless SM58 system...
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM

I just noticed those smilies over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Wireless. One of our patrons owns a successful guitar shop & that's a good price... but... we're in Hawaii. So everything costs an arm & a leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Is there a way in your state to make your bar a private exclusive club? The only other way I could see to keep the numbers of tourists down would be to raise your drink prices and use only bottled water. It sounds like your regulars could afford it if they leave that large a tip and probably would agree to it though the tips might get a bit smaller.
You do have a unique situation and I think we can all understand, but as long as you are a public bar you really can't refuse to let them sing and should be treating them the same way as your regulars. Otherwise your next review may be a really bad one.
The prices are higher than any other bar in the area. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at all, & that includes the karaoke. Mind you, service is RARELY refused (I have earplugs). Also, it's good reviews that are slaughtering us. A bad review would probably help us out a lot; with 5 tables most nights it's SRO, even on the nights with only regulars.

A bad review might actually save our business. We have some regulars who work for the Star Bulletin. I should talk to them.

As far as exclusivity, if I really wanted to I could put Reserved signs on all the tables. I can also tell undesirables that the karaoke is full & I can't take any more orders. I can also tell them that although the bar is open, the karaoke has been reserved by one of the parties in the room, so only they can use it. There are many ways to lock undesirables out, but it's never become THAT much of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
I use wired Sennheiser 835s myself and rarely do those mics go above $100. I hope it is a wireless SM58 system...
Sennheisers are great mics! We had a couple at one point, but we liked the Shures better. The Sennheisers didn't last long, either... they actually got dropped & trampled on the weekends. This is why I don't work weekends. I wouldn't be able to handle it. And yes, the Shures are wireless. I use my own wired 58beta behind the bar, but on the floor a wired mic would... well, the wire would be a problem.

Edit: I should probably explain that in Hawaii, the karaoke practice is to move the mics to the customers sitting at their tables, thereby creating the need for a wireless. I think on the mainland you guys use a stage & customers sing always in that one spot. Here we charge $1 per song & when the songs come up in rotation, we move the mics to the table that ordered them. Yeah, a lot more work for less money probably. It hasn't changed in the 10+ years I've been here.

Last edited by Tamastara; January 21st, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM

i use a pair of sm58s and a pair of audix mics and i surely didnt pay that much for ea. of them, they saw you coming..but anyway if your customers are leaving that much tips,then i'm pretty sure you're getting paid more than any of us, so you can afford it..you sholud just make your place of work a private club