MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old April 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Compatibility

I need to know some things.
Question 1
Does anyone do regular videos in their shows. If you do, do you use hoster to do it. I heard it takes up alot of memory. I need to know how much memory I need for when I buy the hoster program.

Question 2
Does it matter that you home computer is xp home and your mobile pc is vista. I find it hard to believe that it will be easy to convert music over to the laptop with vista. I have heard horror stories. Please answer if you can.
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM
VIP

All the horror storiesmwith videos and vista are true.

I use videos all the time, sometimes hoster, whch works well, but sometimes I use a video of the actual song being sung (If I have it?), but to do this you need to play it off your backup computer, of which mine is a laptop. Works well with thru 4 way video switch going to the audience monitor.

Old May 16th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Well I will be getting a laptop system but I am going to use two external hard drives that way it don't slow down my system when I decide to switch from one drive to the next. I just hope there isn't going to be lag time when I am navigating. I have never done this before, heck I am still so called flipping disks. But I think if I do it right it will work. I wonder if I can have vista removed and have xp put back on it? Hmmmmmmmmm That would be a blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
All the horror storiesmwith videos and vista are true.

I use videos all the time, sometimes hoster, whch works well, but sometimes I use a video of the actual song being sung (If I have it?), but to do this you need to play it off your backup computer, of which mine is a laptop. Works well with thru 4 way video switch going to the audience monitor.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM
VIP

get 10,000 rpm HD if you can find them, very, very, expensive though.

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and J Karaoke View Post
Well I will be getting a laptop system but I am going to use two external hard drives that way it don't slow down my system when I decide to switch from one drive to the next. I just hope there isn't going to be lag time when I am navigating. I have never done this before, heck I am still so called flipping disks. But I think if I do it right it will work. I wonder if I can have vista removed and have xp put back on it? Hmmmmmmmmm That would be a blessing.
I don't know about Vista and this but be sure to turn Indexing off for the external drives. Indexing will slow you down because it has to verify the index every time you access the drive.
Going back to XP may be the better choice but I can see this option is not going to be available for too much longer if Microsoft has their way.
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and J Karaoke View Post
I need to know some things.
Question 1
Does anyone do regular videos in their shows. If you do, do you use hoster to do it. I heard it takes up alot of memory. I need to know how much memory I need for when I buy the hoster program.
I use Hoster for video clips and an occasional music video as well as VCD karaoke and have not had any performance issues. As to how much memory, in my opinion, the answer would be as much as you can. I think the minimum MTU recomended specs are 512MB memory & 1Ghz processor speed, but I'm running 1Gb memory and 1.8 Ghz processor and in my opinion I am pushing the limits for a smooth operation (although it works quite well). Just a "feeling" I get. Can't really back it up with hard data.

Quote:
Question 2
Does it matter that you home computer is xp home and your mobile pc is vista. I find it hard to believe that it will be easy to convert music over to the laptop with vista. I have heard horror stories. Please answer if you can.
Not sure what you mean by "convert music over" but my KMA's work just as well on my Vista laptop as on my XPpro machines. Vista will sometimes hide your some of your KMA's (but not all??) and other audio in "virtual " folders that can be a pain to navigate to when needed but Hoster has no problems finding them.

All in all (again personal opinion) If you can change to XP I would although I would go with XPpro not Home.

If you can't get your dealer to replace Vista I am still seeing OEM XPpro for sale at about $130.

Sam
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Frequent Member

I run video out of my laptop from hoster, from time to time and never had a problem.
dell 8100 p3 1GHz and 512 ram. works just fine.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates