MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Tips !

Question.Singer comes up to you wanting to sing NOW and you politely tell him (her) that they are in rotation and you will get them up as quickly and fairly as possible.They then pull out 40 dollars,set it in front of you and say somethimg like "will this get me up any faster?" Before I reveal what I do,I'd love to hear the general concensus on this one and please be honest.Thanks Billy.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Tips!

We all have to handle each situation different depending on the circumstances at that time I guess, but I'm sure what we would like to do is this,"Thank you very much, I'm glad you're enjoying the show(put the $40.00 in your pocket), but sorry it won't get you up any sooner, I run a fair rotation for everyone here!"
Sooner or later we all get one---You can run but you can't hide!
TK
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKaraoke
We all have to handle each situation different depending on the circumstances at that time I guess, but I'm sure what we would like to do is this,"Thank you very much, I'm glad you're enjoying the show(put the $40.00 in your pocket), but sorry it won't get you up any sooner, I run a fair rotation for everyone here!"
Sooner or later we all get one---You can run but you can't hide!
TK
Yes TK, I think we all can agree on what we would LIKE to do,and that was an eloquent tap dance around my question.Now would you please come back and answer it?Thanks Billy
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know about TK, but I politely tell them it wouldn't be fair to the other singers and I will not do it. Sometimes they understand (probably can comprehend because they aren't that drunk, yet) and sometimes they go off in a huff (totally poluted). They all know that I will not budge on this.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Angry Tap Dancing?

Well, I guess with you arogant remark regarding tap dancing, we need to know a little more about the guy with the $40.00 to address your question in correct manner.
Was this guy sober or drunk?
Was he there by himself or with alot of people?
Was he and/or the people he was with spending alot of money or not?
Was he a regular or was he a first time walk-in?
Maybe he was a friend of the owner?
Maybe he was one of the best customers friend or relative?
Get the point?
Like I said each situation is different!
This is a forum for people to exchange ideas. When we all have to start going through each thread and answering each little part or get chastised for not doing it or doing it correctly, or to YOUR SATISFACTION I'll just pass on the hole thing.
The Tap Dancer
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Sorry I offended you TK.Im just trying to gain some insight on this matter. Thank you for your answer Dale.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Simon cowel tipping

So what did you do take the money or not. Seems like you are tap dancing. Running a fair rotation show is the only way to go. Make a card up for in line jumping. $40 per person per jump min 10. that should do it............ visa master charge welcome............... that's in tune with .......... karaoke contest............please....................
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:41 PM
VIP

I tell 'em I accept tips but not bribes and so they'll have to wait their turn. If they've set the money down I don't touch it, at that point they can pick it back up or leave it but I won't touch it until they've left the building.

However I can be bribed to go one extra song at the very end of the night, if the bartender permits.

Sam
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:30 AM

Hey All,
The guy with the $40 should spend it having analysis.
When I've been in the States I've put my dollars in the jar, like everyone else
Tipping is not part of our culture in the UK, neither is bribery except if you'r in Government.
Except for a charity event, where you know the money is for a good cause there's no way I'd pay to sing.
As a KJ I'd politely tell him to keep his money and join the queue.
Regards from across the pond
Garry.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:42 PM

I agree with and do the exact same thing as mindonstrike does. I run a fast, fair, friendly show. I built my reputation as such, and bribes won't ruin my rep. I have had all sorts of types of bribes. Money, drinks, ....favors! I politely refuse them. I explain my policy (which is also in the front of my books). If they want to tip me for doing a good job...fine. But, sorry, no bribes. The bartender at the main place I run a show told me once to announce over the mic that "Joe" wants to offer $100.00 if he can go next. Does two things ..shuts the guy up, or gets me the $100.00. I told the bartender it wasn't worth my credibility. I explain that I run a fast show, so hopefully, the wait won't be long. And....I then remind him/her to turn a song in....others are turning them in while you are trying to bribe me. I also do not touch the money until the customer walks away, and even then, I set it aside until the end of the night. ps, I really get annoyed by the people who have the gall to say..."Hey, me and my friends are leaving, can you move us up next so we can go"?......I don't think so.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:12 AM
VIP

Once I asked the guy to go ask the three singers that are next if they feel it's okay to jump in and sing before them. Man, the guy said immediately "No, it's alright, never mind" and walked away grumbling. See, what it is, they may come from another show that caters to them, and almost expect it from me and others. They get a little "put out" when other shows don't cater to them.

Note: Last I heard, one of the other bars in town may be looking for another KJ because they've been getting too many complaints about favoritism over their current KJ. I've been recommended and expect a call anytime. This has happened twice in the past year to me already. And when a bar-owner calls you, you have quite a leverage when dealing with price.

As a result, I have four gigs at three different places in Waterville, Maine, all within a mile from my house, and may be picking up on the last remaining bar in town, 8/10's of a mile from home. Two of the places have its own sound system and the others have my two sets kept there. There are also 4 or 5 other KJ's in the immediate area, they just haven't figured it out yet.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:08 PM

I do accept tips. I don't use tip jars. I don't get that many tips. The ones I do get I know that they are meant as tips and only that. I get offered big bucks many times to bump. My regulars know I do not bump. I did have one guy once who offered $200 bucks. I of course said no, he called me stupid and and offered me $300. I said no, but if you make it $350 we can probably buy a round for the house and they MIGHT let you sing. He got pissed and left and because I kept the mic on, the crowd got one heck of a laugh.

Kelly
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:13 AM

Good one!!!
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Yeah really.Can I borrow that one?
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM

so true....I try to keep a fair rotation, but, sometimes the bar manager will intervene when she sees one of her regulars walk in by shouting to me "so and so wants to sing". This particular regular is "too good" to fill out one of my slips, and I won't let her sing until A. she fills out a request and, B. she gets to her turn in the rotation. I get along well with the bar manager, but, tell her I won't bend on that policy. Not only is it unfair to the people that have been spending their money on drinks and waiting patiently all night, but, you will never get those people to become regulars if they suspect favoritism.
I also have one of those guys that always comes up and begs me to bump him up in the rotation, when I tell him there are others in front of him, he actually wants to know who they are so that he can go and ask them if they mind if he preceeds them. Many people are too polite to say no, so, I won 't allow him to do that.....this customer is "high maintence".....
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:08 PM
VIP

Always DO what the bar owner says...He's your boss...
..Do Not piss off the bar owner.

My owner once in a GREAT while will ask me to try to squeeze some new people in instead of the same ole water drinkin regulars...Result there were over 100 NEW people that night several became new regulars....several asked for my card...only one regular who DOESN'T drink left early, but was the first one to return several days later....THE owner usually will have a good sense of what kind od crowd will make him money, either temporarily or permanently, It's always good to listen to your boss, unless there are gigs just knockin at your door..but expect those owners to want to make money too.
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:38 PM

I certainly understand the logic of listening to the boss, but, I also believe in doing what's right by the customer, whom, is actually the bosses' boss if that makes sense. Any bar gig would not be worth sacrificing my morals of what is right...
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:00 AM
VIP

Thats right "The bosses boss". thats why it si up to the boss (bar owner to make that call).
Also, there are ways to make a customer feel like he has been moved up w/o actually moving him up, or at least make him/her feel good about waiting his/her turn.
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:02 AM
VIP

[quote=. Any bar gig would not be worth sacrificing my morals of what is right...[/quote]

A bar in the first place is not usually attended by those of the "Highest" morals. The average moral level of a bar may be a bit less than the average moral level of a Sunday school, so to speak.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 04:27 AM

I had a guy one night come up and want his friend to sing a second song, They sang one and during the next song wanted them to sing again. Placed a 100 dollar bill in my hand and I said NO, I can't be bought like that. After several minutes of his persistance I simply said ok, Here is what we can do. I have and counted seventeen singers at the time I said you buy each one a drink of there choice and as soon as the bar bill is paid I will put her up. Well he said ok I summoned a waitres and gave her the list of names and she took the orders and well It only cost him about 75 dollars. My singers were happy for the free drink the bar made money and he was HAPPY 30 minutes later. LOL