MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 15th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Advertising

In another thread a discussion was started that seemed better suited for this area, so I figured I would start a new thread here.

What is the feeing about ads in the books? What about ads onscreen between songs? Could this be a value-added benefit for the bar? What kind of ads do people currently use in their books? What kind of companies advertised with you and how did you approach them?

I was thinking of short 15 -30 sec static ads. As you thank one person and call up the next and mention who is on deck, there could be something on screen with music playing in the background to keep the atmosphere going. With a static ad (one jpeg vs. many in sequence) you could cut it off at any time.

So it should not slow things down at all! That will keep the singers happy while the bar might appreicate having the happy hour specials advertised.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Most eople are not going to spend $500.00 to buy a video mixer(Superimposer) and VCR to put ads up between singers, I guess if you just have singers and don't play music between singers you might have the time. Plus, I fill a minivan now with equipment, next step already is a trailer. From your other post, I think you need to buy a system, start doing shows, and see what this is all about before suggesting to us that have been doing this, what else we should be doing. It's like the singer that says 'You don't have that song?", I have 10,000 plus songs, unfortunately there are probably 175,000 that I don't have. Get you feet wet, spend some money, see how much you make, then impliment these outstanding suggestions you have at your expense.
TK
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Frequent Member

Static ads with music in the background could be easily done with Karaoke Proucer for the benefit of the establishment.

Example:

"Title Page"

FOR THE NEXT 10 CUSTOMERS
WHO ORDER AN APPITIZER
A SECOND ONE IS AVAILABLE
HALF PRICE FOR THE NEXT
30 MINUTES IF YOU MENTION
THIS NUMBER

"Where song lyrics would normally be placed"

JUST A SUGGESTION.....

Could then repeat the message and number
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:27 PM

good idea

TK:

I hosted three events so far in the past week or so to get my feet wet. They are still barely damp, but getting there

However, I have visited approximately 25-30 different KJ businesses at events around the country in 10 different states. I have always struck up a conversation with the KJ's and sometimes even called to talk to the owners who were very cooperative when they found out I wasn't in their area to compete. So far I have seen over 100 shows the majority of which would end up being my competition.

While I agree that until I have multiple shows under my belt with my own equipment everything I say is opinion. BUT.. it is rooted in way too much research. Do you know of anyother Kj who did this much research over a couple of years before getting starting up or even after?

And for the record, this wasn't my idea but one from an experienced KJ who already implements this and has had it work for him. I was hoping to get the topic going here where it belongs to try and get a little info on what works from you and others like you, the experienced KJ's.

Now to the point of this thread:

Ads could easily implemented with very little effort and no extra equipment to carry around. Creating CD+G's with the ads instead of the lyrics is an easy way and takes up the room of one CD that can hold multiple ads. One Cd per gig would be all that was needed to add that extra touch that differentiates you from the competition. Show off the specials of the night, introduce the bartender or even remind everyone to tip the wait staff. This could easily be expanded to include the beer reps or other outside companies for a little extra money.

Sorry for the length!
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:44 PM

I hadn't thought of that!

KJZone:

Sorryu, I think we were replying at the same time!

I hadn't thought of that one! People would actually be paying attention to the singers as well! Who knows what else you could put up there!
Old July 8th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Re: Advertising

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddMatt
What is the feeing about ads in the books? What about ads onscreen between songs? Could this be a value-added benefit for the bar? What kind of ads do people currently use in their books? What kind of companies advertised with you and how did you approach them?

I was thinking of short 15 -30 sec static ads. As you thank one person and call up the next and mention who is on deck, there could be something on screen with music playing in the background to keep the atmosphere going. With a static ad (one jpeg vs. many in sequence) you could cut it off at any time.
Think you have a great Idea there Matt, You could do this with any disk that you already own, I like the shows that play disco songs between the singers, some times people get up and dance some and you could use this time to promote the show. Where I go, we do a show on Thursday nights at another affiliated resturant, owned by the same owners, this is a great way to spread the news of the Thursday night show and the times.
Old July 9th, 2003, 09:27 AM

purpose of advertising

All:

The entire purpose of advertising for your company whether in your books or onscreen between singers is revenue. While I have continued to KJ and attend as a singer, the thought of getting a system is pushed to the background for one reason: not enough revenue.

I can't see pushing hard 4-6 nights per week for $150 per night. It's just not worth it. Now if you could raise your price because you put on the best show with custom ads for the bar AND supplement the fee with ads in the books then maybe you could work up to $250-$300 per night which is getting better.

Now some of you might say that you do it for the love of music. That's great. The KJ's I have seen that do it all for the love of the music charge too little and make it tougher on the businessmen.

My $0.02

Madd Matt
Old December 22nd, 2003, 11:24 PM

Great Idea

I am a Karaoke Host that has more than just His feet wet. Heck I'm Drowing in Karaoke. I have done thousands of shows and I like the Idea.
Crazy Carl
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:18 AM

Picking up on what KJZONE suggested, using KHP to make ads, I use this tecnique frequently for other purposes(bitrhday roasts, etc).

To make it appear even more professional and get rid of the "sweeping" look, simply sweep in the same color as the text, then it's not noticable.

George
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:29 AM

Cool advertising

As a 10-year "veteran" in the DJ/KJ business, I have to say that while a static on-screen ad probably does no harm, it is not the best option. Perhaps the biggest reason we are out there (other than to push buttons ) is to provide interaction with the patrons, whether that be entertainment, or, in this case, information. I regularly work in announcements for happy hours, upcoming events, door prizes, etc., while bringing up a singer or going into a dance/music portion of a show...without skipping a beat or having a singer waiting while I do so. Maybe a static ad flashed occasionally while playing some dj music especially if you have a background graphics program running on monitors or bigscreen would be good.
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:21 AM
BloodyLegend

MessageOke Pro software allows you to display animated or static gif's or jpeg's on the TV screens. It also has a few preset animations suitable for karaoke. Another feature is that the KJ can type in a message to display. It works perfectly alongside MTU's Hoster program. There is a shareware version available that gives you a 30 day trial before requiring registration. I'll post back with a download link as soon as I can.

Last edited by BloodyLegend; January 18th, 2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Thumbs down Re: Advertising

Way too many ad's in the mail.
Way too many ad's on the TV.
Way too many ad's on the Radio.
Way too many ad's in the news paper.
Way too many ad's in the magazines.
Way too many ad's on our PC's. (Pop-up's).
Way too many ad's in our emails. (Spam).

And now you want to put ad's in Karaoke shows!?!?!
Where does it all end!!!

Just my humble opinion, of course, but I'll go find another show.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:41 PM

HAHA Does it strike anyone else funy that someone complaining about too many ads posts this at the end of his post?

And now you want to put ad's in Karaoke shows!?!?!
Where does it all end!!!

Just my humble opinion, of course, but I'll go find another show. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I can't get a gig in Charlotte NC. because I charge too much.
(704)-689-2551
You deserve to be advertised again so I left the info there for you. Please don't think I am flaming you I really think that's funny.
STOP THE ADS!!!! Oh and if your looking for a KJ Call me at (704) 689-2551

I would have put your website here too.
Old February 4th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Made me smile to BigMike.. (not the fact that "wild bill" can't get the work you understand...just the way it was put across ) We have been using this form of advertising in our establishment's for some time now.. and it works well, as said before it's a great way of advertising future events and special offers etc..etc.. I was just wondering "wild bill" what do you think is the main cause of your not being able to find work in your area, at the price you charge..i.e to many K.Js in town.. or maybe the "pirates" undercutting you ... just curious and certainly not having a "pop" at ya
cos $100 seems cheap enough to me.. My son does a bit of mobile work and he charges anything from £90 to £120.. It is'nt that long ago (or it does'nt seem it )I was reading in these forums about some KJs across the pond charging upwards of $200+ per gig.. when the price a KJ could charge certainly in this area was around the £50 to £70 mark..is this the general trend across the U.S or just a localised thing.. Once again just curious..
I hope your diary starts filling up with bookings very soon As I do for every K.J out there..
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Gosh, I hope that didn't come across as a slam. I didn't mean it to be, especially about the not working part. I was completely talking about saying stop the ads and following it with an ad.

From what I understand, here in Central Oregon, $120 to $200 depending on the night (week day Weekend.) But that might be dropping soon I feel. Seems everyone has the exact same database of 30,000 songs all from the same guy who is probably building the machines and ghosting them with the same image. I didn't think that would bother me so much except these people are changing to computers and not having to load the CDs (which I am still not done doing) Grrr
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Blocked From MTU.Community

I don't know what the market is like down there were you guys are

but if you told some one up here that our only charge 100.00 for a show
they would ask what is wrong with your gig
they would think that you only have a few songs or your music sounds like crap

they would be asking what's up with guy for only charging $100.00

weather I work or not when I did kj/dj full time I did not walk out the door for anything less then $250.00 and that was for just dj.( i know to each there own)
kj was more

why don't you ask a higher price you just might get some thing then

the only bars that I know were they are only paying 100.00 a night are bars were the kj leaves his stuff and does 5 nights there 3 hours each night
and that is still to cheap I think but I guess if you did not have to set up each night it might be worth it any way have a good one