MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old August 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Legal or illegal

I notice there is a lot of questions on the legal vs illegel status of Hoster users. Human nature being what it is, after even a few years of KJing with Hoster and using computer files, it is hard to believe everyone is 100% legal, with not even one little file or song slipping through. I admit to being 98% legal, but i don't do Karaoke shows, but i guess the question i'm curious about is how many of you could stand the test of the Song Police doing a thorough search all your files. Now the fear of a search will prevent a lot of you from answering this question, but after all the claims, and i'm sure there are a lot who are 100% legal, curosity just gets the best of me. I do have a about 5 songs obtained from a studio of music that i reproduce for songs i couldn't find on karaoke sites and a couple of files given to me by other singers. Does this make me illegal, well, yes, legally. Is my intent to defraud the song owners, no, but, legally, i guess its true.
I consider an illegal status as some one who just blatantly rips off all files without regard and does not buy the music legally. Is this what i have done, no, but???????? Anyone care to step to the plate?
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM

i know a kj that used to used Hoster, and she was having so much problem with Hoster, that another kj persuaded her to use another program, and she was told that she could go in his website and he'll put her name on his list of friends then register as a friend and from there she could download his karaoke songs ( mp3files )in which she's been doing, now i think that is illegal, and i warned her about it, and i was told that this kj's been doing it for a while..
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i know a kj that used to used Hoster, and she was having so much problem with Hoster, that another kj persuaded her to use another program, and she was told that she could go in his website and he'll put her name on his list of friends then register as a friend and from there she could download his karaoke songs ( mp3files )in which she's been doing, now i think that is illegal, and i warned her about it, and i was told that this kj's been doing it for a while..
A friend of mine who I used to do their bonfire karaoke parties for said he bought a laptop system from a legitimate KJ sales guy here in Maine. Okay this is what he bought:
For three thousand dollars he bought a pair of cheap speakers, a laptop loaded with Compuhost (bite my tongue), and a hard drive with 75, 000 karaoke songs 3000 DJ songs and 500 videos and two free lessons on how to set up and run a show....and the option to purchase another Hard drive with 75,000 more songs in the near future..for only 350 dollars. Can you imagine.
I almost puked.

He thinks he did nothing wrong as he paid someone money that advertised as a KJ sales guy to sell these things. I told him he was 100% illegal. He says well, it's only for my own bonfires and I won't be any competion of yours anyway.

Then, I find out, that he swaps a copy of his HD (75,000 songs) for a set of speakers with a Kj I sort of compete with. (This other guy works every other Friday where I work at). Now this guy advertises he has many more songs than anyone, even me, (I have 15,000 collected over many years mostly by requests and cost me a jillion dollars, although my parents did buy me the complete legend series for Christmas several years ago). Anyway, these two guys advertised the fact at his show that "Thanks to Ron, I (Karaoke John) now have ALL the songs you people require".

So you can see that this "HD" is probably going to saturate my area and this other guy that sells these things is making it rich. Go Figure.

These are the guys they need to get.

Old August 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM

well this friend of mine has all the original disc before this kj persuaded her to go to another karaoke program, and i've been helping her with her hoster problems, she kinda quit calling me when i started to ask her to buy things that would make her laptop run better, last time i heard was she bought a 1 terrabyte hhd, due to the fact that she has more songs now from dowloading it to this kj website, and i heard from other kj's that this kj's been selling hhd too with songs in it, this guy has about 3 people running his show from diff. places..
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

The ones selling this stuff are the ones that need to be turned in to stop.
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Legal/Illegal

Hey, the question was not whether you know somebody who is illegal or illegal, we all know someone who is or is not. The question was whether YOU are 100% legal or illegal. Dodging the question is sometimes taken as an answer. I understand if one doesn't want to answer the question. I freely admit I'm not 100% legal, but, **** close. Not ashamed that i am not 100% correct but don't feel i'm in the catergory of the rip off artist either. Either way one chooses, its a path they have to live with.
muzicman144
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
VIP

I just got a news letter from the KIAA that mentioned that SC is going after pirates in Phoenix. Sadly it looks like they are getting a chance to buy their music before being named in the suit.

In another story they announced that they (KIAA) is in the process of trying to shutdown buykaraokedownloads.com because they are an illegal site and are recommending anyone who bought from them try to get their money back.
I have about 10 songs from them so I guess I am illegal.

Sam