MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 27th, 2005, 09:03 PM

Cool CDG HD to HD to CDG Failure

i have 4 HD's on my computer. My 3-4000 CDG's are on 3 of them. When I tried to tidy things up I ran into this problem. CDg's will rip to HD and burn to CDG OK. When I take blocks of these files and copy paste them to one HD to another HD and then try to burn back to CDG I have mostly erors in the grafics and a few errors in the audio. The CDG disks are not usable. I have backed up my intire collection to the HD's and would like to move them all to 1 HD. Can any one help? I have tried this senario on diverant combinations of drives and come up with the same problem.
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Thumbs up CDG Copy paste HD to HD

For any of you interested in the out come. I phone a freind today who is a tec.
He suggested to zip compress the files them copy pasre them. Well it worked. I used WinRar to compress them to .RAR files, best quality setting, then drag and dropped the .RAR files to the other HD, them extracted them to themselves. Burned back to CDG with a excellent quality finished product. Any other suggestions as to other ways to do this would be appreciated.
Glenn
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM

If you don't mind them being in different folders, seems like you could simply drag and drop entire folders to a single hard drive, and be done with it in a few minutes.

Hope you realize that CDG's run around 40-50mg each and at that rate, 4,000 of them will take up 160,000-200,000 mg. space.

George
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Thats where we ran into the problem, when you just drag and drop the CDG's to another HD they will not burn back to CDG on a CD without errrors.

Glenn
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Sorry I guess I misunderstood.

I thought you had tried batch copy and paste which could have a different effect than dragging an entire folder which it would seem wouldn't impact the individual files in that folder.

George
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Cool

Because I was moving files from 3 HD's I used Selected All, Copy-Paste to the 4th HD and dropped them all into the same folder. Each file contained 1 CD of its individual CDG files. The forth HD is a 250g External drive. I tried small batches of drag and drop to several diverant combinations of HD's and all failed [unusable because of errors] when it came to burning back to CDG disks. Do you have any idea why.

Thanks Glenn
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Never heard of this before.

It should never happen.

My guess is your Windows installation is damaged. If the .cdg files are getting damaged when you move them, Windows is doing it... not Microstudio.

I'd be very afraid that my computer was compromised if I had this occur to me.

You might try reinstalling Windows and see if it reports any errors.

Just a warning: be sure you don't have any critical files on the same drive PARTITION (typically C drive) as they could be lost when reinstalling if Windows is bad.

I lost everything on my C drive when I had a damaged Windows installation (used for 2 years with no warnings). I was installing an upgrade to a progam I used weekly and disc space ran out. That should have generated an error message, not destroy crucial Windows files. Sounds like what you have to me.

Luckily I had most of my important stuff on D and E partitions, which I was able to copy to another drive for safety. We had to low-level reformat the entire drive (with the bad Windows) to use it again.
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Interesting opinon. I will copy paste some mp3 and some .flac files and see what happins when i burn them. Thanks

Glenn
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Latest update.

For those of you who are following this post. I have Copy - pasted from 2 HD's to a 3rd HD 3 seperate sets of folders. 1 - 4g Movie .iso, 3 CD sized .flac folders and 3 large folders of mp3. All ran simaltaniosly. All burnt to disk and played OK. So any idea as to why we cannot copy paste CDG folders from 1 HD to another and burn back to CDG disk without errors? Thanks Glenn
Old October 7th, 2005, 12:00 PM

A few options..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn&Cyndy
For those of you who are following this post. I have Copy - pasted from 2 HD's to a 3rd HD 3 seperate sets of folders. 1 - 4g Movie .iso, 3 CD sized .flac folders and 3 large folders of mp3. All ran simaltaniosly. All burnt to disk and played OK. So any idea as to why we cannot copy paste CDG folders from 1 HD to another and burn back to CDG disk without errors? Thanks Glenn
1. A Virus could be affecting a file copy that does not affect a zip function.
2. As Admin stated, you could have a system file that is corrupt that is used during the copy but not during the zip.
3. IDE hardware errors. You may have an IDE adpator that is going bad, or maybe the driver is not right for that IDE adaptor.
4. The drive 4 may not be set up properly in the system bios. Could be your system does support the larger capacity drive, but the translation isn't set right for file copies.

1. Check the BIOS and note which drives are on which ontrollers and what the order is..
2. Can you copy files from drive one to drive 2 ok? If so, rule out 1 and 2.
3. Do you have a cd that came with the system that provides system drivers? If so, you may want to BACK UP THE SYSTEM, then install them.
4. Check the drive settings for drive 4 if this is the only drive that has the issue. If you have a chance to adjust the translation in the bios, try another setting and test...

These are a few ideas off the top of my head. BTW, My day job is an IT director for a large corp. I started out as a tech..

I'll be glad to help further when you have some feedback on these items if you like..