MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old July 30th, 2009, 03:20 PM

What equipment do I need

I currently host karaoke at a bar that utilizes hoster but has all of the equipment pre-installed. I have been approached by other restaurants but currently do not own any equipment. If I was to invest in equipment so that I can run a stand alone karaoke system, what would you recommend?

Keep in mind, the ease for me to travel with and set up.

Thanks
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Honor Roll

The equipment is the smallest portion of running a show. It's the music that is the major investment. You can run a show with a 2 channel mixer, 2 mikes, and 1 powered speaker, and a 12 inch tv if you need to. As far as the computer equipment goes, you don't need the latest and greatest. Spend the $$ on the video card. 256MB DEDICATED memory on the card. I have one setup that I use to tape a TV show I appear on that can be rolled in on a 2 wheel dolly in one trip. It's not the "Hall Filling" sound I would use for a big show, but does quite fine in the studio.
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM

Karaoke Sound Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelynda View Post
I currently host karaoke at a bar that utilizes hoster but has all of the equipment pre-installed. I have been approached by other restaurants but currently do not own any equipment. If I was to invest in equipment so that I can run a stand alone karaoke system, what would you recommend?

Keep in mind, the ease for me to travel with and set up.

Thanks
I agree with Marklwood on the large investment on music. I disagree that the sound Advice. For $1000., you'll sound like it. From $2500-3000, you can sound great. The Bose L II with dual bass module, tone engine mixer. for about $3000 with a great payment plan, weighs less than 100lbs, laptop, monitor, MTU Hoster, two decent sm58 mics, and it will fit in the back seat of your car. You can play a venue of up to about 500-600 no problem. I do it all the time.
Muzicman144
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:27 AM

it depends on how big of a crowd/place you have, i use a pair of Mackie active ( powered) srm 450 and a Mackie dfx 6 good enough for about 300 people,and a pair of Mackie SR1521z ( active )for bigger venues and a Mackie cfx 12 board, but lately i've been using a pair of active ( powered ) special edition ( only 100 of them were made ) KRK Rokit 6" and a pair of Rokit 10" subs for home private parties and for a small restaurant/bar ( seats about 100), i've been using a pair of active KRK Rokit 8" and a pair of KRK Rokit 10" subs ( all KRK's are studio monitors and they are all a size of a binder) and i pair of digital audio technica wireless mics and a pair of audix cord mics, it takes me 1/2 hr set up/tear down..