MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old January 2nd, 2002, 11:29 AM

Thumbs up Memorex CD-R Media

We have tried a lot of different CD-R media to record Karaoke CDG's and Memorex has been just about the best we have found. I'm sure Mitsui is great also but is very expensive and we have not been able to buy them in stores in large quantities. I know you can order large quantities but if I run out of media, I like to run to the nearest store and buy more right that second. Memorex has had a 95% success rate with us and I highly recommend using them if your looking for a easy to buy larger quantities.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 03:05 PM
Frequent Member

have bought memorex before- no good my cd writer refuses to even accept that brand's discs. out of a 50 pack I was lucky to get 6 good discs- the rest the drive either said bad medium or please insert disc into drive. No media detected. At first I thought it was my drive but I picked up a ten pack of Fuji discs and had no problems burning to disc with any of the ten pack. So I have decided to use only Kypermedia, or Imation as my CD-recordables of choice. you can keep your Memorex, Sony, TDK and the like since I have had nothing but problems with those brands.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:26 PM

Angry MEMOREX

ME TOO DANNY,
I'M HAPPY THAT THEY HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH THE MEMOREX CD'S, BUT AS I SAID BEFORE I'VE HAD NOTHIN' BUT NITEMARES WITH THEM. JUST WONDER IF THEY HAVE TRY TO COPY AGAIN OFF THE BURNT MEMOREX. SURE MY PIONEER V10 WOULD PLAY THEM IF THEY FINISHED COPYIN'. I EVEN GAVE UP MY YAMAHA 4416E AND PURCHASED THE PLEXTOR 16/10/40A AND STILL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THEM. PERSONALLY I THINK THE WRITING AREA ON THE MEMOREX ARE PRODUCED CHEAP. THE SHELVES AT THE STORES ARE LOADED WITH THEM. I GUESS I'M LOOKING FOR QUALITY.
THAT'S WHY I STICK MTU.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 11:59 PM
Frequent Member

I use an HP 8100 series writer and have never had problems with any of the discs I stated were my mainstays. A buddy of mine gets his at computer shows and has tons of wasted $2.00 a disc CD-R coasters just copying the already made stuff while I with Imation, Fuji, and Kypermedia hardly waste a disc unless you count the ones where I reburnt due to not having a way to check my Home Porduced Karaoke songs.
Old February 16th, 2002, 01:43 AM

I've also had excellent results with memorex cdr media. I'd like to paste something I read from
http://www.mscience.com/faq58.html
CD-R technology is still evolving, as evidenced by the lack of a public ISO standard. The proprietary Orange Book Part II specifies format, physical, mechanical, dimensional, and optical specifications. It does not specify the method required to manufacture CD-R discs, and the industry is split between stabilized cyanine and phthalocyanine dyes. Each requires different laser beam powers and write strategies for optimum results. Since a standard for writers does not exist, model "A" might work well with certain brands and poorly with others. Results from model "B" might be opposite to those of "A". Throughput requirements complicate matters as higher speed writers become popular.

What media works best for my CD writer might not neccesarily be true for someone elses.
Mike G.
Old March 11th, 2002, 12:20 PM

CDR brands

Does anyone use a Yamaha 4416e drive and have any success in burning CDG's?..if so,what brand CDRs do you use? I know that Maxells don't work, as well as TEON (i'm not even sure where I got those discs!). I jus' need to know if I'm wasting my time toying around with this drive and should throw it out with the rest of the "coasters".

In the mean time...my originals are dying. Slowly deteriorating and gett'in scratched .... they're screaming for back-up replacements and my Yamaha is letting them down :-(
Old March 11th, 2002, 01:40 PM

I too have had excellent results with Memorex on both my MTU Plextors, but somehow still feel more comfortable when burning cdg to use Mitsui. I guess since there are jillions of Memorexes on the shelves I wonder if they from time to time get them from wherever they can to fill their demands. That's why I stick with Mitsui for CDG. A good workable compromise for me has been to use Memorex for audio and Mitsui for cdg. Am also having as good results with Memorex CDRW's as any other's I've tried, and they will now write at 4X.

Tak care,

George
Old March 12th, 2002, 12:44 PM

Hi guys....jus' wanted to mention that I have my Yamaha drive (4416e) working well now and that Memorex, imation, maxell CDRs all burn fine on that drive (in case anyone was curious).
Old March 25th, 2002, 01:23 AM

I have burned dozens of CD's using the 30 pack of Sony's from Best Buy. Have only found one bad one since I got over the Glitch of my Plextor conflicting with my Video Card. They are inexpensive and so far are very good.
Old March 29th, 2002, 01:19 PM

My experience in burning CD's adviced me not to use any program, even "solitaire" while burning CD's. Preferably, closed all other programs.

Opened programs used some of the computer's resources that could interupt burning process.

Patience is an important virtue when burning CD's.
Old May 7th, 2002, 04:58 PM

Thumbs up

I have been using Memorex and have had no problems. The Imation ones i used were ok but not as good quality. Does anybody know where you can buy Mitsui discs in the UK as everywhere I have tried appears to have stopped selling them. I have also been told to slow my burning process down to X4 to give me a better copy ...... how fast is everyones else buring theres ?

Neil
Old May 7th, 2002, 08:17 PM

The players that are in karaoke players are not like the CD burners or Roms that are in computers. You should NOT burn faster then 4X if you want to get a good burn that will work on the type of players in the machines. Memorex and Sony CD's have work real well for me.

Russ
Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:42 PM

I have found over the past few years that most store bought media will work ok in most cd+g players and pro cd players with the cavs adapter. My personal favorites have been sony and tdk for ones I use alot and the Kodak Gold and Silver as master backups. THe Kodak does suposedly have that extra layer of protection against scratches and what not. Better for me for disks that get alot of use.