MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old August 10th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Slim Line CD-Rom ( I THINK )

I purchased a slim-line cd-rom about a month ago, I had a small problem getting it installed on a Toshiba A105 Satellite Series, w/Windows XP Home SP2 but worked that out... got it installed and worked fine..At that time I purchased Hoster, which installed fine ,and I began loading CDG's. Loaded 300 or so disc slow speed (6x) and they installed fine,then I started hearing the CD-Rom Drive start speeding up and slowing down, (more than normal) my loading speeds seem to speed up and slow down also. Changing disc speeds in Hoster didn't matter the drive speeds still runs up and down, most times when it slows down it will ABORT the session...The grapics have become spotted and even some scratching noise in the audio...I've tried 10-15 disc.. even brand new never played disc and still the same thing. I'm thinking the CD-ROM Drive has failed, I have also cleaned the drive as well as Uninstall or remove it and reinstalled it. ANY IDEAS
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

When it aborts the import, what error message do you get?
Are you storing these songs on the internal hard drive of the laptop?

You could be wearing the drive out as these smaller drives are not meant to take the abuse that the desktop drives will. Try running the cleaner 2 or 3 times to make sure it is clean. Let it dry for a while before trying a new import and see if that won't help some.
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Dale.....No error message generated....just ABORTED shows in the status box,.....YES I am storing them on the internal HDD...It's 80 GB and it still has around 70% free space left. I know these laptop CD Drives are fragile but geeeez......... I would think they should last longer than 300 or so copies.......Thanks for ithe imput, I'm wondering if maybe the speed selector in Hoster could have anything to do with this, not sure how that works or talks to the drive

THANKS
Dan
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

The speed selector is based on the speeds the drive is capable of reading at. I don't think you can tell what speed it is reading by the sound of the drive. Nor do I think that is the problem. Have you tried it at a higher speed?

Did you get it from MTU?
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:54 PM

Are you sure you have the target drive and folder properly identified and are not trying to import to the burner? Sounds crazy, but it has happened.
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:01 AM

Dale...your right I'm sure I can't tell the speed of the transfer by sound, what I meant was that the sound of the drive seems to vary a lot more than before, like it spins fast then slows down I can hear that, Yes I did get it from MTU.
George....It's the only drive.... and the files are still going to the same folder, but Yes I know it happens I've been stumped by simpler things than that before

My next step is to remove it again.......Reinstall and see what happens
Thanks Guys
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Try resetting the Save folder and while you are at it make sure the folder hasn't been set to "Read only"
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Try resetting the Save Folder again just to be sure. And check that folder to make sure it hasn't picked up a "Read Only" setting.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Well I need to change direction, Removed and reinstalled the drive again...WORKING FINE....again.....so I have to think that there is something else causing a conflict or disrupting the operation of the drive......At least I can be 99.9% sure it's not Hoster.....and 100% sure the slim-line cd-rom is OK..... In my first post when I couldn't get the drive installed MTU posted that someone else reported the drive didn't work on a toshiba laptop,so probably something Toshiba factory loads and hides
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM

You don't have Roxio Easy CD Creator installed and running in the background do you? It has been known to raise Havoc with other programs.
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:27 PM

No....I've uninstalled and/or removed any unrelated programs. My thoughts lean toward something Toshiba preloads before shipping. The crazy thing is.... I loaded another 40 disc without a glitch since I reinstalled the drive. So maybe whatever creates the problem doesn't run all the time Hey George thanks for the imput... I always try to read your posts....Dale's too...YOU GUYS ARE ALWAYS ON IT!!!!!
Thanks
Dan
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Thanks, Dan.

You know, you might want to consider getting a USB hard drive and installing Norton Ghost on the laptop. You can then clone the pc to to the USB drive, especially now that all is working. In the event of another unexplained catastrophy you could then clone the working drive back to the laptop and keep on truckin'. Saves re-installing programs, etc, as the back up is a working drive.

I use it with two inboard drives in both my desktops and wouldn't give it up for anything. Not worth a flip, though if you don't take a moment to keep the back-up drive current every time a change is made on the main drive.

Just a thought.

Take care,
George
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:50 PM

I know you're RIGHT... I have a W/D 160 GB external HDD sitting right here in the box!!! Didn't want to take the time to mess with it... wanted to get library loaded.......I know.... your next post would be something like .........
HASTE MAKES WASTE...
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Or HIND SIGHT IS 20/20

This kind of stuff is why I won't use a laptop for my show machines.
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:09 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Thanks, Dan.

You know, you might want to consider getting a USB hard drive and installing Norton Ghost on the laptop. You can then clone the pc to to the USB drive, especially now that all is working. In the event of another unexplained catastrophy you could then clone the working drive back to the laptop and keep on truckin'. Saves re-installing programs, etc, as the back up is a working drive.

I use it with two inboard drives in both my desktops and wouldn't give it up for anything. Not worth a flip, though if you don't take a moment to keep the back-up drive current every time a change is made on the main drive.

Just a thought.

Take care,
George
My question here is " Isn't Norton Ghost the same thing as doing "copy c:\". If so, why not just do that?

I own 2 laptops and am thinking of getting Norton Ghost?
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Deleted.

Last edited by George; August 16th, 2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant
My question here is " Isn't Norton Ghost the same thing as doing "copy c:\". If so, why not just do that?

I own 2 laptops and am thinking of getting Norton Ghost?
In a word........NO

There are files that will not copy under normal copy command, because they are in use. Also does not make a "Bootable" drive when copying.
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:16 PM

laptop cdroms for karaoke

is there a list anywhere of cdroms that will fit a laptop and do karaoke? been looking for something by model/brand and price as my new laptop does not have cdrom that reads cdg. thanks
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM

MTU has one....look at the slim-line
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doransdome
is there a list anywhere of cdroms that will fit a laptop and do karaoke? been looking for something by model/brand and price as my new laptop does not have cdrom that reads cdg. thanks
http://www.mtu.com/support/cdr-ide-d...m#HosterDrives