MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old May 17th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Differences between Discs?

I am considering ordering discs from MTU. The discs I usually buy are less expensive and work perfectly in my own player.

Unfortunately, one of the players where I usually go often shows a little bit of a character breakdown in the discs that I bring.

Could this problem be solved soley by using the MTU discs or are other factors (Recording speed, cd-r compatibility of the player etc.) probably the culprits??

I mostly record at 6x
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Smile Depends on your recorder.

It’s my understanding that recorders rated at 24x or faster, record better at higher speed. Perhaps you should try a higher speed rather than 6x if your recorder is capable.

Whether this helps you or not using your current media, you cannot go wrong using MTU’s. The media they sell is at the top-of-the-line.

Regards,

Jon
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Re: Depends on your recorder.

Quote:
Originally posted by jaddams
It’s my understanding that recorders rated at 24x or faster, record better at higher speed. Perhaps you should try a higher speed rather than 6x if your recorder is capable.

Whether this helps you or not using your current media, you cannot go wrong using MTU’s. The media they sell is at the top-of-the-line.

Regards,

Jon
All I can add to this is that once you try the MTU brand it's just impossible to burn on anything else after!! I've burn my first not long ago & what a sound!! I find that the player is by far more stable when you use that brand versus anything on the market & after doing some research, I came to the conclusion that you have MTU & after you have the others!!

Good to have you back in the forum Jon, I miss reading your post!

Regards
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Yes, But........

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm asking if anybody has seen the problem I described solved by making the switch to the MTU discs. I mean, according to my memory, they're almost a buck each. Quality, I'm sure. But is media the source of my problem??
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Smile It's worth a try...

Quote:
Originally posted by JahernThanks for the recommendations. I'm asking if anybody has seen the problem I described solved by making the switch to the MTU discs. I mean, according to my memory, they're almost a buck each. Quality, I'm sure. But is media the source of my problem??

It’s hard to tell Jahern whether your problem is media or not related until you test different speeds and media. Perhaps you can buy a few TDKs they make excellent media.

By reading your first post I get the impression this problem shows up on one particular player. If this is the case, it may be difficult to find the culprit until the recommended tests are played back on that machine.

I don’t see any need to spend that almost buck a piece until you know if recording at a higher speed solves the problem.

Perhaps MTU would sell you a few blanks to try it out?

Best regards,

Jon
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:01 PM

In Volume Better Than Buck A Piece

First things first. I finally looked at the prices so that I wouldn't be going from memory. (Faulty memory)

100 discs $67-Not quite a buck a piece.

You're right Jon, the problem seems only to be on the player at the Acapulco's in Downey where I almost exclusively go. My last burned disc was at 20x and as usual, the words were a little scattered.

I would like to test MTU discs without the big investment since the results do not seem to be assured.

Yo Admin...Any way to get an Experimental pack?? Granted there would be no volume discount, but that's not important (within reason!!)

Oh Yeah. Good to hear from you Jon.
About the TDK's, which do you recommend? I think they have Data and Music discs don't they?? (Does it make a difference?)
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Lightbulb Which CDR

Don't mean to reply in behalf of Jon, but you might want to read this page on MTU's silver media.
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:13 PM

Cool Don't spend the extra money for music CD-R

Jahern,

Data CD-R is the only blank recordable media you will ever need.
The TDK’s data CD will do just fine.

Music CD-R media cost more because part of the cost goes to the music industry.

You do not need to use the music version if you are creating or copying music CDs with you computer. The only time you need the music CD-R is if you plan to use them in a music CD recorder.

I feel good being back, had some personal issues to deal with that took a lot longer than originally planned.

Best regards,

Jon
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:10 AM

MTU vs. Mitsui (and other questions)

Is the MTU disc a remarketing of Mitsui? Which is better? I can order Mitsui discs on-line without it being the significant volume being sold by MTU (not as cheaply per disc of course) There is a Gold and a Silver disc. Which is better? I think I have a Mitsui disc that I received when I bought my drive from MTU. Would using that to experiment give me a good idea?

Thanks Jon and Mlepine for clearing up the Data vs. Music deal
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Question Gold or Silver

The disk MTU are selling are in fact Mitsui silver with no label.

To answer your question regarding Gold or Silver: Gold would be an excellent option for backing up data that you wish to keep for at least 150 years! Silver was proven to give a better sound than the gold but they are only good for 100 years!!

I suggest you do a test with your Mistui disk you got from MTU, make an identical back up that you already done using any other brand on the market including TDK which are not bad and let your ear do the work! I find the difference to be so big that I can't burn on anything else than Mistui silver anymore!

Regards
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Jahern,
Another thing that you could easily try first is to go purchase a can of compressed air. Take this down to your Bar and blow out the CD+G Player, with the compressed air. See if this will then play the disc correctly.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Hmmm. Interesting

I might like to take that can to one of the hosts there!!!

I certainly want to blame the machine, but it plays originals without the problems so something's not right with my burning in addition to whatever isn't right with the machine.

Also, some of the hosts are pretty touchy about the equipment over there. One of them just about wrestled me to the ground after I corrected a key change setting after they screwed it up and walked away leaving me alone.

I like it there because of the people, not because of the hosts