MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM

drive letter sudden change

i did a show last night and an hour before i started, i opened hoster, just to warmed up my gears, searched for a song and i was getting a no song in the database error, but to make a long story short, my ext. drive that used to be E:drive is now an F:drive, the drive is always been plugged in to the same usb port, i have never taken it out..i ended up rebuilding,and the night came out fine..i was just wondering what causes a sudden change..
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Windows.
Rather than rebuild, it would have been faster to go to Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and open Computer Management. Then go to the Disk Management, right click on the drive and change drive letter. Changed it back to "E".
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Windows.
Rather than rebuild, it would have been faster to go to Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and open Computer Management. Then go to the Disk Management, right click on the drive and change drive letter. Changed it back to "E".
i know there was an easier way, just couldn't think of it,and i also forgot to bring my back-up laptop, well i didnt i just brought the wrong latop case and i was starting to panicked, people are started coming in, and i knew i had about an hour to rebuilt..so ..i ended up rebuilding, but anyway the show went up w/o a glitched except my other problem ( other post )..thanks

Last edited by ddouglass; January 3rd, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM

I have had this problem before. I know about the 'Adminstrative Tools' option & went in there to reassign the Drive Number & it wasn't allowing me to choose the Drive Number that I needed. I can only assume that the laptop wouldn't let me use the correct drive number as it thought it was assigned to another drive..?? I was forced to rebuild the database. Is there any other way around this??
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM

my ext. drive used to be E: and my ext, dvd drive used to F: and Sat. night it was reversed.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjunkies View Post
I have had this problem before. I know about the 'Adminstrative Tools' option & went in there to reassign the Drive Number & it wasn't allowing me to choose the Drive Number that I needed. I can only assume that the laptop wouldn't let me use the correct drive number as it thought it was assigned to another drive..?? I was forced to rebuild the database. Is there any other way around this??
Only way around it is to find the drive that is using that letter, change it and then put the other one back.
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM

I guess that is the problem. There was no other drive using that number. I only use the one ext drive. Somehow it picked up that I was plugging in another drive so it gave me another drive no. When I went to change the drive number back it wouldn't give me the option as it thought the drive number was allocated to a separate drive.... 'hope that makes sense'. Not a major as I just rebuilt it to the new drive number but just a hassle...
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:43 AM
VIP

I've had this prob a time or two when i plugged in a memeory stick before the external HD.

The usb port doesn't matter. What matters is the order they are plugged in.
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:24 AM

i have my ext. drive plugged in at the same port from day 1, and all my ext. peripherals. so i don't know what happened .
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Drive Letter Changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
I've had this prob a time or two when i plugged in a memeory stick before the external HD.

The usb port doesn't matter. What matters is the order they are plugged in.
I have had this happen many, many times over the years, but never had a problem going to Control Panel and re-asigning the Drive Letter needed. Never ever had to rebuild Database. Just make sure you only have One (1) external drive plugged into ANY USB port when you re-assign the drive letter.
muzicman144
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Heres a FAQ that I had on how to do this.

http://www.mtu.com/kb/index.php?action=kb&article=4