MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: what is a fair amount?
100.00 - 150.00 28 9.18%
150.00 - 200.00 123 40.33%
200.00 - 250.00 91 29.84%
250.00 - up 63 20.66%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 11th, 2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean...I am pushing around 23,000 songs now
Do you have 23,000 songs on CD+G's? I figure that's over $30,000 worth of CD+G's.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:42 AM

Yes, That is on cdg. And no I didn't spend anywhere near that much, but I did spend quite a bit to get there. At last count I have about 14000 unduplicated songs. I amassed this greta collection by buying out some local KJ's and shopping very wisely on ebay. Every now and then you can pick up a good sized collection for a decent price and I don't mean pre-loaded hard drives either. I picked up both foundation sets for about 600 USD a couple months ago on ebay. My most recent steal on ebay was Chartbusters essential 450 #3 for 69 USD which comes out to a little over 2 dollars a disc. Wise shopping can go a long way in building up a collection.
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:40 PM

Talking Really??? Is their such a thing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterJP80
If your a KJ, and do not understand business, take a course. Learn what you are missing.
A course??? Where would a dummy find such an animal, that was not just some garbage someone thought was a good idea to put in an e-book?
Just been reading the posts and tips etc.

First of all I know nothing! <~~~~ Ala sargent Schultz

Geeeeez I just reread your quote!!! I bet you meant take a business course right???" Sometimes I'm sooooooooooooo dense! Well here's the rest of my post anyway

But I want to learn, I've seen all kinds of equipment packages for all kinds of outrageous prices, then I found the MTU site. So with my vast lack of knowledge on the industry and it's equipment, I believe I have settled for the Hoster package with the +4 suite as the best possible choice

But there are a ton of other things I will "need" or "should have" and I don't know where to begin.

Read something about bar/party fights:

Star spangled Banner works for me ( I can't stand Barney ) but another option might be the "chicken dance" or the Theme from "Cops"

Also a file with sirens might get some attention.
NO GUNS I would never book a gig at the ok corral

Other than that I'd have to evacuate and find a safe place.

I really love the idea of purchasing the music and being able to inport it into Hoster so Iwon't have to drag disks around.

But what about all the other goodies if I'm running off a computer?

Sound Card
Amplifier
Speakers
Monitors
Mics
player/burner
Etc etc, whats best, how do I keep from getting bent over the barrel? It's not my turn
Warmest regards
Glen
Old December 31st, 2005, 03:09 PM
VIP

Glen, you're definitely on the right track by purchasing Hoster. I've been using it for a couple of years at my shows and I'll never go back to lugging disks around. It's the best show program on the market and you'll never second guess that decision.

As for bar fights... well, experience has taught me to shut the music down and let the bar staff handle it. You need to protect your equipment. If the fight is away from you, jst keep the music off until it's all over and the idiots are taken out. Then you can make a humourous remark about their stupidity and continue your show.

If the fight is near your equipment, jump in front of your equipment and if the tumblers get too close, give 'em a big shove to push them in the other direction. They'll never even notice you as they continue struggling with each other in the direction you shoved them.

If, however, the fight breaks out near the end of the night, you may want to think about ending your show a little early that night. There's no sense in trying to bring the crowd back into it if there's only 15 minutes left in the night.

The rest you'll discover through experience. Oh, and it never hurts to take a business course so that when tax time rolls around, you're not scratching your head and forking out extra cash to an accountant who will have to try to separate your business expenses from your personal.

- Alan

Alan Ross

PRIMARY TEST MACHINE:
HP Compaq DC5100SFF
Windows XP Home SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
2GB Ram
250G Hard Drive
Sound Device: SoundMax digital Audio
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Pay survey ---

One question left unanswered -- how long are the shows? My wife & I run for 5 hours straight -- no breaks or DJ music. For that, we feel $200 is fair.
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:52 AM

Around here, Chicagioland area, most karaoke shows are 4 hours. I have done a few that run about 5 and a half hours, but those are few and far between.
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:22 AM

Talking How Long a show? It really doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolf67
One question left unanswered -- how long are the shows? My wife & I run for 5 hours straight -- no breaks or DJ music. For that, we feel $200 is fair.
Hi If I might be so bold..............

Travel and setup 1 hr.
showtime 5 Hrs
Teardown and travel 1 hr
Total 7 hrs

$200 drvided by 7 hrs = $28.60 per hour divided by 2 = $14.30 each.

Now factor in the cost of gas, insurance, CD+G's equipment etc

Do you feel $200 is fair because you think that is all the market will pay, or because that is what a lot of folks charge?

Do you feel that $200 is fair because you feel that is all your time energy and equipment are worth?

And if you really feel $200 is fair.....ask yourself this question.....

Shouldn't my rates be fair to both parties???

So your question as to the length of the show is somewhat moot.
If you have a "FAIR" hourly rate then the length of the show becomes irrevelant, No??

Remember "Success is a state of mind"

Wishing you much success
Warm regards
Glen
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM
VIP

I'll just add this one bit of advice...

Never set the length of your shows to longer than you would want to do on your worse night.

When you've been doing shows for as long as I have - 12 years, seven nights a week for the first two years, five nights a week for 10 years with five employees doing shows as well, plus 17 years as a regular DJ before that - and you've been dealing with drunken idiots who have fallen into your equipment, broken microphones, spilled their drinks on the stage, swearing on the mic, etc., you will begin to wish your show wasn't four hours long (let alone five).

I love what I'm doing, but I swear I've been wanting to change our shows to three hours. Unfortunately, I've been doing four hours for so long, I can't now cut back without incurring the wrath of the seriously addicted Karaoke junkies.

Basic rule of thumb, what you start, you must complete. I started at four and I'll probably end up doing four 'til the day I die.

- Alan

Alan Ross

PRIMARY TEST MACHINE:
HP Compaq DC5100SFF
Windows XP Home SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
2GB Ram
250G Hard Drive
Sound Device: SoundMax digital Audio
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Honor Roll

4 Hours is the Basic Package, Monday thru Saturday, with start time at 9:00 P.M.

Sunday Shows start at 8:00 P.M. because Bars must close by 12:30 A.M.

Here, the Bars close at 3:30 A.M. Monday thru Saturday. So, there is the possibility to earn 2 Hours of OVERTIME Pay if your BASIC Package ends at 1:00 A.M.

I charge 50$/Hour Overtime. If 2 Hours Overtime is required, then I drop my rate to $35/Hour.

You really should start your Shows at 9:00 P.M. as I have found that the cut off time for Bar-Hopping is 1:45 A.M. It is, simply, too late to go Bar-Hopping past 1:45 A.M. Bar-Hoppers are taking a Big Chance hoping that wherever they go next will be better than where they just left.

I used to charge $35/Hour Overtime. But, the Bar was using my Karaoke to keep the Party going and, once the time past 1:45 A.M., the Bar would shut me down at 2:00 A.M. Now, being as it is too late to Bar-Hop, the Bar would throw on the Juke Box and make money off MY combination of Karaoke and Dance Patrons from 2:00 A.M. to 3:30 A.M.

So, you MUST stop your Show as close to Your Basic Package END TIME as possible to keep the BAR from earning money off YOUR labor.

I changed my Rate to $50 for the First hour and give them a Break to $35/Hour if I get the two hours, which equals $70.00.

In "Late-Night" Markets, I have seen KJ's start at 10 P.M. and go to 2:00 A.M. It may be possible that the Bar owners are doing this to Prevent having to Pay a KJ Overtime. So, Bar Owners, simply, start the Show later.

I, absolutely, do not "Pass a Bucket" to try to justify me going overtime. I DO NOT work for tips. That's what the WAIT STAFF do. I am NOT an Employee...I'm a BUSINESS OWNER.

Last edited by nreel; January 8th, 2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM

Cool Moved to a NEW market...Starting over

I started my business in L.A. where I was so connected that I never had to try. I played in a popluar band there for years and had a job that paid me well but worked me up to 60 hrs/week... I'm ramling huh?

I never charged less than $200/night and $100/hr for parties (not charging for setup time)

I've moved to Sacramento and want to this to be my only "job"

I've been going to bars that don't have karaoke and offering $100 for the first 4 weeks and then we can talk price (I let them know I was making $200 minimum in L.A.) just to get it going.

For the ones who have a host. I can offer one night at that price as a test drive and then I was keeping to the $200 minimum.

I'd love to hear your comments on that PLUS I promise to report back as things progress.

If you have any suggestions on things you did to get your foot in the door without whoring yourselves out let me know.

By the way I have 375 CD's (85% are the top brands) - and 1000 watt sound system (with all the right equipment of course) - of course using HOSTER on my Dell Laptop.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:57 AM
VIP

I've got a Dell laptop too, Dell 6000, what's yours? Do you use a plextor USB ext. writer as well? I have a built in writer thats works fine except for a few CB disks it doesn't seem to like. I use the plextor when importing at home.

In Central Maine, (pretty poor region with low pay rates), I am very lucky to get the 150 dollars a night I ask for. I think there are many others that work for 100 or less here but don't say it out loud.
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Hi yall,For the last 2 plus yeas,my wife and I have been doing something a little different. I've been a one man band type singer /musician in the Gulf Shores al. area for 16 years. I must be honest,I was never a big fan of karaoke.My thoughts have always been "if I need a plumming job done in my house i'll call a pro right? If i'm gonna be entertained, and pay top doller for booze,I want the same.Not to mention over the years I've watched the karaoke trend put quite a lot of my musician friends out of work.(not me ,I was lucky).I began to wonder about my musical future with the stage now more and more becoming a place of public domain.Then it struck me.What If I could find a way to Fuse karaoke with live instraments together. After talking to my wife Delaine about it, we took the plunge. I bought all the stuff(with the help of MTU,)the sound system I already had.The big question was did I have the musicial knowhow to be able to learn 20,000 plus songs at the speed of music and would the singers like the concept? What do I charge for this prototype? What do I call it? One thing I knew for sure,it would do really well of it would really BOMB.Not much room for in between.Anyway its done well.Not well enough to retire anytime soon but we make 200$ a night 4 nights a week, 4 hours pr night with an extra 50 bucks for a fith hour.free food and drinks,and we get to leave the equipment.Pluse I still get to play my instruments witch is my first love (besides my wife).The down side is a lot of set up and tear down.But man you should see their faces when they sing devil went down to go.and they look behind them to see their KJ playing the fiddle parts.And I never know what song I'll be playing next,or what instament i'll be playing it on.Talk about streching excersises! It has made me a better player though ,and forced me to learn some things I never would have otherwise.Anyway if any of yall would like to check out my page go to mudbugsclub.com Thanks for letting me rant.Billy P.S. If anyone knows of anyone els doing this sort of thing could you please let me know.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:58 PM

There was a band that did live karaoke in Spokane, Washington at a Chinese restaraunt/bar. The band played along with the karaoke music. They were the house band on weekends, and did this on the weeknights. They did this for a few years. It was ok, I guess. The place was usually busy, but, no one I know went there for that reason.
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the reply.Can you remember how many piece band it was? Its just hard to imagine a guitar player,bass player ,drummer, etc.. being able to seemlessly jump in with those hundreds/thousands of karaoke type arrangements and still be able to complement the singer.If they are that good,they should be recording in Nashville, not giggin at a Chinese restaurant.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletmon
If they are that good,they should be recording in Nashville, not giggin at a Chinese restaurant.
Very true! I see lots of problems with this idea: First, you have to divide the money with 3-4 people. Does this gig pay $400-$500 a night? Second, the band needs to know thousands of songs played in different keys. And what about doing key changes?
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Talking rate of play

I was doing shows (not karaoke) using cassettes, moved up to mini disc tracks, then to karaoke disc and Hoster. We have been successful at this for over ten years up and down the east coast. Depending on the venue, the pay scale can go from $250 to $1,000. I don't do karaoke although i think it is wonderful entertainment. I have just done it this way so long i see no need to do karaoke. Sometimes i use instruments, but it depends on the venue.The best thing is that it doesn't matter whether you do karaoke, shows using the karaoke tracks, there is always room for a first class show. The biggest concern i have, and all kj, etc., should have is the people getting into the business with sub-standard equip, very limited ability or knowledge that are willing to do it basically for free. Now i realize everyone is free to do and charge what they please, and truly, there is still room for everyone to play somewhere. As always, first class shows will always play the best venues at the best pay rate. I welcome any and all to play and charge the rate they can live with or get, and would be the last to shut the door on anyone.
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:42 AM

First, it was at a Chinese restaurant, and they were the house band. Having a sit down gig in a fairly large towns means a lot. Second, they weren't paying the karaoke person THAT much. Spokane was a town where you could get undercut real bad. I don't know for sure what the KJ was getting paid, but; you had to fight and scrap to get $75.00 a night(house equipment). I know there were some KJ's working for $45.00 and even $25.00 a night. I haven't lived there for about 6 years, I hope it has improved. Hence, the only people who win in a karaoke pay war is the club owner, if you want to call that winning. Sorry, I digress. Anyway, the live band/karaoke thing. It was a thre piece...bass, guitar and drums. It was unique. I prefer having GOOD sound equipment/system. You can still make the singer sound like they are backed by a good band. Being a musician/karaoke KJ.
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Please Close This

Admin please close this thread. This thing has been running for 4 years now! I think the rate has been pretty well established now
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:02 AM

Wink rate of pay

i believe the rate of pay is a mute point. no two dj/kj's are worth the same rate of pay. some are just better and have better equipment. I have seen Alan Ross' show in nags head and he deserves what he gets. i have seen others who aren't worth any pay. Point is, no matter the talent, there is a
"place" one can play. The good talent with good equipment will always make the most money. Anyone who thinks all dj/kj's deserve the same rate of pay for a show is probably in the less talented group with inferior equipment.

And i agree this thread should be closed

muzicman144
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:40 AM

Close This Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Admin please close this thread. This thing has been running for 4 years now! I think the rate has been pretty well established now
Amen ddouglas this thing is way past it's prime
1tb x2 hd
Plextor 716A
nvidea 9500Gt Graphics Card
Show Coputer

Backup Computer
Windows XP
1.86 Duo core Dell
160 gig Hd
320 gig Hd
2 gig ram
nvidea 8600 Graphics Card