MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old December 24th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Thumbs up hoster crash when importing tracks - caused by bad zip files

Lately my hoster has been crashing when trying to import tracks. I know the cds are fine because I've barely used them. I had all my discs loaded at one point, but because some things got out of wack I deleted everything and decided to re-import my cds. I've been able to load some cds but the majority of them are giving me a problem.
When I click on Import CD tracks-Add tracks Online Database I get the message "The online database look up did not return any data for this disc...." When I try to enter the Brand and DiscID manually I get an error message and the program shuts down. I never had this problem before. Perhaps its because I'm running an ooollllddd version (3.321...haven't used this in a while).
I know I will need an upgrade, but any suggestions on what I can do with this problem at the moment?
Thanks!
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Re: hoster crash when importing tracks

Which version of Windows are you running, XP, Vista or Windows 7, 32bt or 64bt ?

If you are trying to run this version on a new windows 7 laptop then it probably won't work correct.

Are the CD's, manufacturers original disc's ?

Have you tried not using the "Search On line Database" but the "search local database" instead ?
Entering the manufactures first then the original disc id, if it can't find any match it should list spaces for the tracks but leave you to fill the names in.

Check that the CD/DVD drive tests good and the write one is selected for reading.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Question Re: hoster crash when importing tracks

I am having the same problem with Hoster Crashing. I use Windows 7 32 bit and hoster 4.3. I reinstalled the Hoster, defraged, checked all the settings as support suggest and I have 4 gig ram and hard drive has 120 gig of a 200 gig drive free. i am importing hard drive files that are zip to kmh. So far I have imported 244,000 without a problem now the import stops as it gets part of some files. I tried importing a smaller batch and It didn't get fooled, it still crashed.
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know anyone else with 244,000 files so you may have found a problem that only occurs after such a large #

Are these zip files karaoke zips ?
In other words does each zip contain 2 files an mp3 and a cdg ?

What is the last book id assigned to your file, you should be able to find this from main dialogs drop down box from the book id tab ?

Have these files imported previously or are they new additions ?
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:35 PM

They are zipped

The last book ID # is 650254 on this computer

I have this Hoster version on another differnt laptops and this is the one that is giving me the problem.

These a new additions
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Back in your first post you state you have 120 gig of a 200 gig drive free.

So I can only assume these zips are on a different external hard drive as I can't see how you would get that many on the drive and only use 120 gig.

So how much free space is left on the external drive ?

could you attach one of the failing zips to your post so we can see if there is a problem with the zip.
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:56 AM

A light went off over my head after your last reply about disk space. I am using an external hard drive (2TB) and have only 17% free. I'll try to free up what I can to get to 25% free.
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

You might want to also do a defrag & error check on that drive, Open drive Properties/Tools.
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Unhappy Re: hoster crash when importing tracks

I did an error check last week when I started having this problem and I do a defrag at least once a month because I move, add and delete info off my laptop. But I re did all this again anyway after my last post. I rechecked MTU's suggested setting to be correct.

After my last post to you I also went and deleted unnecessary files on the external hard drive and deleted files that were repeated in Hoster using "Tools" "Edit Songs". They were the same songs just in a different fold on the hard drive. I was trying to think of all that I could do to clean and free up space. My external hard drive has 17% free space now and the laptop hard drive has 60% free space after defrag. All my imports are on the external drive.

I figured I got more space and tried again to import again off the external hard drive a 180 songs in zip format because I deleted more that that earlier.

I tried adding new songs and hoster crashes at about the half way point of 180 songs on the import. A notice appears and says hoster has stopped working.

Last edited by admin; February 19th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Only suggestion I can think of is as you seem to have a fair bit of space on your C:/drive, load the remaining zips to a folder on that then see if they import OK or if you get the same error message.

I'm wondering if there is a limit your have reached in the amount of files that can be accessed on a single hard drive or a limit to the amount of files Hoster can handle. If they import from the C:/ drive then the former may be the case.
If that is the case it may be a limit with the 32bit system, maybe 64bit could address more files.
I don't really know perhaps someone else would be able to answer this.
If the problem persists I should put in a support ticket.
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM

I had pondered the idea of the 32 bit as for the 64 bit. The other laptop is 64 bit Windows 7 and this one 32 bit (64 bit capable). I'll try the import to the C drive see what happens. The other laptop, today, I imported the same songs and had no problem.

Thanks
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:55 PM

Talking Re: hoster crash when importing tracks

Roy
I found the problems.
1 - some zipped had extra files included and
2 - there was something wrong with another zipped file
I tried importing a completely different folder and there was something wrong with that one too.
I tried even another and everything worked OK.
So I went back to the others and resolved the problems except for 1 I had to just completely delete the files.
My bad but found out something valuable.
Thanks
Old March 17th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Re: hoster crash when importing tracks - caused by bad zip files

We read your complaint and think we have a pretty good fix in 5.06.

In 5.06 when bad files are encountered while indexing in the Build Database dialog, we now quarantine them to a special folder (see the 5.06 manual on Build Database command). Then, Hoster automatically picks back up and continues indexing.

Try it out.
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Question Re: hoster crash when importing tracks - caused by bad zip files

Thanks for the info. Another thought-
I go out to sing sometimes at other KJ shows. 1 in particular uses another program (he says his brother created). When searching for a song, each letter he types in brings up something immediately while typing and types as much as he needs to type until he has what he wants. Then he clicks the item to insert the song into the play list for whom ever the song is for.

In windows, I use a program called "Everything" which does the same as described above (searches computer & external hard drives) for mp3 music (or anything), I just insert the song into windows media player to play the mp3. That would be a great idea for Hoster.

Is this search capability something in the works for a future Hoster?
Thanks

Tags
crash import cds