MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 9th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Multisession - Long dead time

I'm manageing to get that last track off the multisession disks okay but, there is alot of dead time at the end of the extraction. Is it somehow possible to remove all but about 5 seconds of this dead time?
If so, how?
If not, can I make it a feature request?
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Post Re: Multisession - Long dead time

bdayton,

I'm going to try to help you here with what I have done using microstudio.

I can do this using another program but it is all so involved and really just want to use microstudio for everything, so.........

When Microstudio reads the tracks, note the last track length.
e.g. Soundchoice will show 16 tracks. Track 16 is data track. So write down the length of track 15. It'll be high something like 5 or 6 min and some seconds. We'll say 6:16 sec.

Now, play and time the track from the time you press play till the song is over. Let's say you time it at 3:40. Add 10 sec. to that.
(Some manufacturers show a track length at the beginning of the song, SC does.........you can use this time and adding 10 seconds to that will work)

So you have 3:50
Now divide 350 by 616 (whole numbers) this example will give you .568 which is 57%.

Now when Microstudio is extracting track 15, when the progress bar reaches 57% (I wouldn't go sooner but immediately on or after) eject the disc. You can slow down your read speed when doing this track so to more precisely eject at the right time. I think I used 8x read speed.

This will get you closer to the actual length of the track. At least it won't be a crazy long dead space at end.

Hope this helps, it worked for me. You can even experiment with it by extracting just that track several times till you get one acceptable to you.
Use the play tab to play the track to make sure you got it all and how much dead space you have.

Hope this helps
Wally
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Re: Multisession - Long dead time

Hmmm..... Well, that sure is better than nothing. Still, I wonder if it is possible to simply chop off the end of the file, (At the right place), without damageing the the ability to play it. I think I'll make it a feature request though.

Much thanks!
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:23 PM

Something else you might want to try that has been reported as successful on the forums several times is to keep an eye on the progress bar during the last tack, and when the progress bar slows down, eject the disc.

George
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:43 AM

George,
That is precisely what I do except sometimes a read will slow down for other reasons so doing my little calculation stops you from ejecting prematurely. That's ..... EJECTING PREMATURELY!

bdayton,
Requesting new feature is good idea, especially since there seems to be many many more multisession discs out there. Go for it. I'm sure if there is an easy way for MTU to do a precisely located chop of this track they will. But my first instincts tell me there isn't. At least not using the same method of extraction they currently use. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd too would like to see this feature.

Wally
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:34 AM

I don't see any way to cut the excess within the program either. Microstudio is not an audio editing program, which it would take.

One would have to import the audio as a .wav file to the hard drive, open it in an audio editing program, delete the excess, then re-construct it as a cdg using Karaoke Home Producer. Then the rest of the tracks would be copied to the hard drive and a new cdg burned with all the tracks back together.

I don't see any other way(that doesn't mean there isn't, but I don't think so). Inconvenient, yes, but then it's only the one track out of the entire cd.

George
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Post Re: Multisession - Long dead time

Like I said in my earlier post, there is a doable way to more precisely edit this track with a competitors software but I've found that as long as I can successfully shorten this track fairly close to actual end of song with Microstudio then I'm OK with that. Because, like I said it's more involved but less involved than using a wav editing program and KHP.

Wally
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:52 PM

Most often the read speed slows down after you have recorded the first 12 to 14 tracks, a small trick I have aquired for the track 15 is to import it first, when it starts hanging up with about an inch left on the blue record bar I eject get the normal response. I then go to the player call it up from the hard drive and see if I have it all. (I time this til the last note a digital stop watch is handy here.) Now go back and import at 1X eject when you are 3 or 4 seconds beyond and check it again. This worked for me, I don't do this often unless I'm compiling a disk with more than 15 tracks for my shows. If you are picky, you can compile quite a few tracks on your disks in the older country venues. I have two in my cdgs that have 30 tracks, one has .03 time left, the other 10 seconds. But I do have many with over 22 on them. I DO HAVE TO GET HOSTER